closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch Catalogues

Apprentice

Watch Catalogues

I can't be the only one who has an unhealthy habit of ordering watch catalogues...

The latest one arrived this afternoon.

They tend to be quite nice to flick through anyway, but this one was a pleasant suprise... It's from IWC and I've bought pretty nice books with less content than this

Thumbs up to IWC

Did you have to buy that?

Sort of thing seen on SC for a few bob.

Apprentice
    Really?

No I've never paid for one, ever.

Just pester them and they'll send it FOC

Quote Originally Posted by drab. View Post
    Really?

No I've never paid for one, ever.

Just pester them and they'll send it FOC
    Thanks!

Master
    I've got the 2011/12 version of that, in Spanish... picked it up when in a dealers in Mexico. I can't read spanish, but the pictures are nice.
    Picked up the 2012/13 UK version from the local dealer though.

Master
    I have a few :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post

Anyone else who shares my OCD will be sharing the pain :-)

Master
    They are all facing the same way and are the correct way up. Not my fault they decide to print the spines with no respect for organisation!

They are all facing the same way and are the correct way up. Not my fault they decide to print the spines with no respect for organisation!

Very true. There should really be a industry wide consensus on the spine text alignment on all books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Please get the height order sorted and re-submit the photo. This is causing severe pain and distress.

Master
    For my next trick I will post pictures of my watches with none of the bezels RTZ'd.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Did you have to buy that?

Sort of thing seen on SC for a few bob.
    You can request a catalogue on most brands websites,either through a specific 'request catalogue' link or by just emailing them.

And yes,having obtained them for the grand sum of bugger all,it's suprising how many people then try and sell them.

Thomas Reid
    I don't have very many catalogues. I do have the Sotheby's catalogue of the George Daniels Retrospective, and the catalogue for the auction of his watch collection. The most recent (catalogue, I suspect) I found on Saturday in a small bookshop in Digbeth (B'ham). It is by George Daniels and, I believe, Cecil Clutton. It is published by Sotheby's, and is either a book or very handsomely done (coffee table quality) catalogue. It goes into exacting detail of <someone who's name I can't remember> collection. I tried to find a reference to it on the internet, so I could fill in the details, but didn't see it mentioned anywhere, which is odd.

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS When I get home, I'll find out the name. :)
    RLF

PPS. Ah, I found it. Watches and Clocks in the Sir David Salomons Collection, by George Daniels and Ohannes Markarian. It goes for £120 or so on Amazon. But only £65 on AbeBooks. I paid £10. :)
    RLF
    Last edited by rfrazier; 5th June 2013 at 17:52.

Someone recently posted this thread on WUS that has a bunch of links to order catalogs: http://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/comm...ever_found_on/

This is what I've received in the last month and I think there's a couple more in the mail

I don't know if I requested one from IWC though..
    Last edited by Citizen V; 5th June 2013 at 17:47.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen V View Post
    Someone recently posted this thread on WUS that has a bunch of links to order catalogs: http://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/comm...ever_found_on/

This is what I've received in the last month and I think there's a couple more in the mail

I don't know if I requested one from IWC though..
    Certainly more interesting than the pile of junk mail I normally get!

Apprentice
    Some glorious collections there.

I do feel that the catalogues very rarely ever give a good impression of what the watch will actually look like though. Owner's pictures tend to give a better idea - and even then often they look entirely different to me when I see one close up...

I've only got the one at the moment. A Nomos catalogue I picked up from Wempe while in London a month or so ago. I don't want to get too many more, as I know they'll lead to temptation and the purchase of far too many watches.

Poor picture, but posts are always better with pic!

Master
    I love a good watch catalogue, of the ones I have have seen IWC and Breitling are among the best; IWC have lots of historical and current info, Breitling seem to show lots of differnent combinations of one watch, straps, dials etc...

My brand of choice, Omega are generally shite TBH at the catalogue side of things although their 2007 effort was the best they've produced. They seem to know what they're doing with the close up shots though.

I threw a load in the bucket tonight - mostly from Salon QP.

I pick them up, but only keep the best of them.

Master
    The best I've received so far are from the higher end of the retail market. Those that come from Patek, JLC, Blacpain, Breguet etc are all hardbound books essentially. Full histories of the company, development of their movements and so on. You can request them from their websites pretty easily.

Over the years I used to pick them up when I saw them or friends would get them for me.

Pretty much lost interest now.

Cheers,
    Neil.