closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What watch would make you speak to a stranger?

I'd never speak to anyone about their watch if they were wearing a Rolex or Omega, far more likely if it was a Seiko Arnie reissue or a Tuna.

Having said that, in a supplier review a few months back I mentioned the account managers GMT and said we were clearly paying them too much :-)

Master

What watch would make you speak to a stranger?

I had done a 9 hour run down south and was filling up in the A1 with another one of our drivers when I noticed the guy in between us. All I said to him was really nice watch there, is it as heavy as they say. He nearly shit himself and scuttled away. Its not often you see a Platinum Daytona at 4am.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Lol, I don't live there, I'm up North but if I'm ever there again and by a trillion to one chance I see him, I'll ask him on your behalf and report back to you. 

- - - Updated - - -

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Have done it a few times but only when its clearly not your Goldsmiths standard fayre.

Nomos Worldtimer - in a beach shop in Portugal
    Bremont Victory - on a flight
    Sinn 856 - on a flight

Certainly would strike up a conversation on the Tube about anything.

All depends on the watch and the place.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    The first comment I ever had from a stranger was when I was wearing my Speedy and I felt quite uncomfortable. He was really pleasant about it and asking a few questions, so nothing wrong with his approach, but I'm not sure if I felt embarrassed or what...

Funnily enough, I've had about 5 comments since then about my Casio 5610 which haven't been uncomfortable at all!

Just like minded people enjoying a conversation about watches :)

Never done it myself yet, mind.

Master
    I just think it is bad form to ask a complete stranger a question about his watch, you don't know how he will feel about. Because you may be comfortable with being approached does not mean that they will be.

No watch, equally my watch is usually covered under a sleeve so im left alone :P

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I just think it is bad form to ask a complete stranger a question about his watch, you don't know how he will feel about. Because you may be comfortable with being approached does not mean that they will be.
    This is true
    It could also back fire, you don't know who you will end up talking too. You might be unable to escape.

I guess it depends on what she looked like and what clothes she was wearing :)
    It's just a matter of time...

It is the first thing I look at and generally over here I see a lot of boring stuff, so if I spot anything out of the mainstream I usually chat about it.
    Best is when tery wear the same watch as myself.
    I recall the following:
    Passport controller in newark airport with titanium seamaster 300, not pleased to talk
    Woman besides me at beach restaurant with BB36, she had to look twice to se we were wearing the same watch. Took a picture as well!

BUBI 0_0

One of these

Vintage Panerai, 4 or 5 digit sports Rolex, vintage Speedmaster, Vintage military, Uwerk, complicated Patek. Basically something I found interesting

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Blog Entries
    Anyone with an interesting watch anywhere and any place. Opened doors and friendships world wide. Do it if you have the thought to. Its about breaking the seal and enjoy.

M

Craftsman
    anyone wearing any type of Breguet or a Reverso is probably the ones that would attract my attention

Master
    Slightly the other way around but several strangers who I have met at work have asked me about my watches, one guy wearing the same colour dial Aerospace and a lady commenting on my Datejust spring to mind.

The only watches I have considered mentioning were a PP Nautilus as I dont see those that often and an AP RO chrono. Fortunately I didnt mention the latter as he was some sort of z list celebrity I believe and of course I didnt have a clue so might have been a bit awkward!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post
    Slightly the other way around but several strangers who I have met at work have asked me about my watches, one guy wearing the same colour dial Aerospace and a lady commenting on my Datejust spring to mind.

The only watches I have considered mentioning were a PP Nautilus as I dont see those that often and an AP RO chrono. Fortunately I didnt mention the latter as he was some sort of z list celebrity I believe and of course I didnt have a clue so might have been a bit awkward!
    I was at a "do" at a local AD. Got chatting to a chap. Quite casually dressed, and very tall. I asked what he did, to which he replied that he was goalkeeper of the local Championship football side. I think he found it quite refreshing that I didn't have a clue. He seemed a genuine WIS.

As you were...

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

God Forbid.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    One of these

This is beautiful. Just went down a rabbit hole researching this one. Another watch I didn't now I needed until now.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by eoghan101 View Post
    This is beautiful. Just went down a rabbit hole researching this one. Another watch I didn't now I needed until now.

Sadly, Seiko stopped making noble watches such as that a while back.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    Sadly, Seiko stopped making noble watches such as that a while back.
    Only one available on eBay and it's 800 in Japan and has a big gouge on the bezel.

Quote Originally Posted by eoghan101 View Post
    Only one available on eBay and it's 800 in Japan and has a big gouge on the bezel.

I spotted that some weeks ago. If not for the gouge, it might otherwise now be mine.
    It would likely take a visit to the watch shops of Tokyo to track down something like this and that is a rabbit hole too far for me.

Master
    It depends on my mood but Ill give a stranger a nod on their watch if in the mood.

The same goes for cars. I was sat in my car next to someone yesterday while waiting on a shopping order to arrive at my car (for future reference - a strange Covid-19 phenomena) and struck up a chat with the guy car to car (he was in a 964 Turbo so it had to be done). If hed been off with me, Id have left it at that, but I suspect people into anything in particular will typically have a quick chat with you about things. In his case hed owned the car for 20 years and was happy to pass the time (Covid-19 socially distanced of course).