closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: And so we start again...

And so we start again...

When I first started university back in 1998 I bought a few watches. I acquired a nice Rolex Sub that I wore as my daily watch, some Russian chronometer thing ( I can't remember what make it was), a Cartier Tank, a Tag (I know...I'm regretting stating that on a public forum) and lots and lots of Timex watches for the beach/surfing/ice hockey travel etc. I lost all of the Timex's (or they were filled with water), gave the chronometer to a friend and the Sub is somewhere at my parents house in a box full of dings and scratches. Not sure what happened to the Tag... I probably gave that to another friend or traded it for a camera. The tank got smashed when I dropped it on the floor at the gym and smashed the glass... oh well... in the bin it went as it was pretty beat up by that point having been through many many gym sessions and thrown in the hockey bag one too many times.

Fast forward ten years and I've got the bug again... though given the price rise and a wife and two kids there is unlikely to be another new Rolex in the near future. Anyhow, since joining TZ my interest in watches has been renewed and I have gained an appreciation for boutique makers.

The past two weeks have seen me begin my collection once more...

A Citizen eco drive (yes i know its not a boutique brand) with thanks to SC, stolen by the wife as it got unwrapped...

A Kemmner Seahorse purchased via ebay (from kemmner's online shop) although I was unsure of the bezel from the photos, i believe it looks much better in person...

And, saving the best for last, a Precista PRS18-Q also purchased via SC. I wont load many photos as I'm sure everyone has seen it more than a few times!

Time keeping ability:

The Citizen has not gained or lost any time at all over the past two weeks and hits the markers with 100% accuracy. The Kemmner gains about 15-20 seconds per day though I am hoping this settles down a bit as it gets worn more. The Precista is also pretty much spot on and is now my daily beater/garage king while the Kemmner get worn to work and general wear... I'm just not sure about cutting wood and shovelling (my little man loves 'digging holes' so we spend most evening digging up the flowers in the wife's flower beds) as i think the shocks may damage the movement...though I have no real idea about how tough these movements are... my Sub certainly got beat around but was probably out by a minute per day when I last wore it 8 years ago.

Lume:

The Citizen and Precista are pretty close in terms of lume brightness... though if I was able to wear the Citizen... and had a choice between the two for a 5 day wilderness trip back home in Canada with the boys... I'd take the Precista as the face gives the perception of being bigger, brighter and is more easily read. The Kemmner is the least bright of the three though what I do like about it is that there is no yellow/green hue to it...thus conserving the white/black contrast of the watch face. Which watch would I grab as a nightime wearer when camping... the Precista hands down.

Wearability:

Well the Citizen never gets worn by me by looks very nice with its rounded and smooth contours. The Kemmner, being a bigger watch (but no thicker than the Precista) certainly has more wrist presence (I have a 7 and three quarter inch wrist... I think) though the Precista is the one that one could most easily forget they are wearing. The Precista also feel less likely to get caught on door frames and sink taps.

Verdict:

I'm more than happy with the quality of all of the watches. I will definitely be buying a few more Precista watches as and when availability permits as bang for buck I can't see how they can be beat. Anyone have a PRS-14 for sale?!?!
    Last edited by canuck; 1st June 2013 at 23:24.

Master
    I like the strap on the Kemmer. Is that custom aftermarket or the standard one coming with the watch?

Cool

Congrats on the Kemmner, that's a handsome watch! Wear it ion good health.....

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKlaus View Post
    I like the strap on the Kemmer. Is that custom aftermarket or the standard one coming with the watch?
    I believe the watch comes with a rubber strap as standard. The red stitched one is from a german maker though i do not know who althought it is abwaterproof leather... But ill post a pic of the backside of it tomorrow. I am certain someone else will know by looking at it though.
    Last edited by canuck; 1st June 2013 at 23:19.

Quote Originally Posted by waltham View Post
    Congrats on the Kemmner, that's a handsome watch! Wear it ion good health.....
    Many thanks. Visually, the Kemmner is my favourite as i like the clean watch face with its larger markers and smaller second intervals. Being titanium, it is also very light and thin which, for me, is desirable as i do not like watches that stand too proud on the wrist. In my opinion, it is one of the best looking watches, not too flashy, visually simple and very accessible to the eye.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the story and reviews - you have three really nice watches there. Money well spent!

ATB

Jon

I love the idea of a university student with a Rolex Sub! Nowadays, it seems, many students are either gambling or giving up their bodies for medical experiments it seems:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2013...und-university

Some lovely watches there though. Enjoy!
    Last edited by jpjsavage; 2nd June 2013 at 08:21.

So here is the back of the strap on the Kemmner.

I hoped there would be a makers name but it appears not.

The Precista is currently on one of Eddies pvd natos and the citizen on a nato from Swagmonkey or something like that...the wife liked the colour.

And if anyone have children or are themselves at uni... encourage them to volunteer for Psychology experiments... they are ethically considered (you can't do anything fun anymore!), the student will get paid very well for their time (we paid about £15 per hour for students to press buttons with an EEG cap on) and more importantly it really helps other students gather data for their projects). I'm not too sure about some of those medical experiments though...

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    So here is the back of the strap on the Kemmner.

I hoped there would be a makers name but it appears not.

The Precista is currently on one of Eddies pvd natos and the citizen on a nato from Swagmonkey or something like that...the wife liked the colour.

And if anyone have children or are themselves at uni... encourage them to volunteer for Psychology experiments... they are ethically considered (you can't do anything fun anymore!), the student will get paid very well for their time (we paid about £15 per hour for students to press buttons with an EEG cap on) and more importantly it really helps other students gather data for their projects). I'm not too sure about some of those medical experiments though...
    Medical experiments are great. I ended up doing an ibuprofen trial, and worked out I wasn't on the placebo group because my caffeine headache went away (no coffee for two day prior to the trial).