closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Quandary!

Quandary!

I was recently given a solid gold (9 ct) 1962 Omega Constellation by my brother as a gift. Extremely generous. It's about 36mm, no date, beautiful domed acrylic, recently serviced, repolished and certified to 50m water-resitance with new seals and new OEM crown and plexi crystal - estimated to be worth 2K. Duncan of Genesis said it's one of the best and most pristine examples he's ever seen of this type. The only trouble is that I never wear a watch of such slim proportions - it's just not my style at all!
    What do I do???

Keep it - it may grow on you in time. Especially as it is a gift, selling it would not be the best idea IMHO. Failing this, return it to your brother.

Yeah, you really only have a few options, keep it or return it explaining its not your style.... Unless you can have a chat and explain that you would be more comfortable with a different watch and would he mind if you traded it for such a watch.... Where did he get it? if its new to 'the family' then this shouldn't be a problem i wouldn't have thought..?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Keep it, tastes change

Blog Entries
    Keep it.

Keep it and wear it.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Journeyman
    Just explain how you feel about the watch to your brother. And ask him if he'd mind u changing it for another watch.

And post some pics:)

Keep it for sure - you may wear it one day as tastes can change diversely over time.

Keep it, you may grow into it.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Try wearing it on a NATO or a BUND type strap.

I have a few smaller watches that I can't wear because they feel too small/thin.

But with a layer of nylon or leather under the case, they suddenly become wearable.

Keep it.

If you are currently 51 (I'm guessing) the it might feel a bit old-fashioned to you. But you might feel differently when you're 65. Plus, although I appreciate this might not be your thing, a slim classic watch like this is perfect as a dress watch for wearing with suits or for formal, black tie dinners and so on. Perhaps starting an argument, but every man should have a classic dress watch for those occasions even if other watches are worn much more frequently.

I'm curious to the background - why would your brother buy you an expensive, vintage watch in a style you don't like? Or is it an heirloom (in which case definitely don't sell - your children, nephews, whatever wouldn't thank you in the future)?

Force yourself to wear it for at least two weeks, as your only watch - no cheating. Then make a truly informed decision to keep it or return it.

I bought a Rolex DJ off the forums SC and thought it was far too small when arrived - I had to wait until I sourced an additional link and was thinking I'd probably never wear it. However, when then link arrived and I sized it, it felt great on (jubilee bracelet), so I said I'd wear it and give it a change - it's just a fantastic watch regardless of size - although the brother asks me why I am wearing a girls watch, just to wind me up every time, if I am wearing it and bump into him!
    It's just a matter of time...

Does he have any children? You could always give it to them on a special occasion or something in a few years time.

Stick it in a safe and give it to your favourite niece or nephew when they are 18?

Thanks very much for all the helpful comments - much appreciated.
    The watch is not an heirloom. My brother had seen it in London dealer's and thought it would be a nice "big birthday" present (clever guess of my age in the thread above!:)).
    This thread has really helped - I am going to try it on a Nato for two weeks and then reassess. If I still don't enjoy it after that I shall put it away and then very likely give it to my brother's youngest for his 18th (he's now 11). That's an excellent idea. (My own sons don't really like it either!) I can't give it back now - too sensitive.
    I can't deny that's it's a beauty if you like that sort of thing (I must be a pleb as I just like my Sumo or my '14 for everything, weddings included!).
    This is the fine piece in question ..

I think the bracelet may be the problem here, try it on a leather strap or nato and it'll look great.

Quote Originally Posted by jegger View Post
    I think the bracelet may be the problem here, try it on a leather strap or nato and it'll look great.
    I agree, a nice good quality dark brown or black Croc would suit it very well..
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by jegger View Post
    Yes, and NO NATO!

Quote Originally Posted by Vahalis View Post
    Yes, and NO NATO!
    I agree, I just added the nato as a few on here seem to like them ;-)

That definitely needs a leather strap not a NATO and I like NATO straps!