closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Quartz Aqua Terra - DIY Battery change or AD?

Quartz Aqua Terra - DIY Battery change or AD?

Finally after just over 5 years, my Quartz AT needs a new battery. It's skipping forward every 4 seconds.

I could change the battery myself, but what would an AD do over and above that especially in regards to maintaining waterproofing? And how much might they charge?

Blog Entries
    AD will not do anything...just pop up a new battery,take your 30-40 pounds and off you go....

I wouldn't do it myself,but I would take it to qualified watchmen....and ask him to grease the gasket...

Craftsman
    May be they check water proof with the vacuum machine

Master
    Change the battery yourself, then get it pressure tested at Timsons, which will cost a tenner. When you screw the back on, put the tiniest (and I do mean tiniest) smear of vaseline on the rubber sealing gasket, or better still replace it if needed. Most jewellers will simply change the battery for thirty quid or so without even thinking about the gasket or pressure testing - your choice but I know what I would do.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barryboy View Post
    Change the battery yourself, then get it pressure tested at Timsons, which will cost a tenner. When you screw the back on, put the tiniest (and I do mean tiniest) smear of vaseline on the rubber sealing gasket, or better still replace it if needed. Most jewellers will simply change the battery for thirty quid or so without even thinking about the gasket or pressure testing - your choice but I know what I would do.
    Vaseline is petroleum based, so it's a big no-no for the sealing gasket, even though that is probably silicone, not rubber.

Silicone grease can be bought in tiny quantities, th tiniest will be more than is needed. A tiny smear on the gasket, spread it evenly, wipe off th excess.

Screw the back on decently tight and it'll be as good as any jeweller can do.

Grand Master
    Don`t use Vaseline on rubber; there may be issues with the rubber softening and swelling. Silicone grease is the stuff to use, it's available in small tubs from Cousins.

Before taking the back off, clean it forst to minimise the risk of debris getting into the watch. Use a good quality case opener (Jaxa tool) and tape up the back to safeguard against scratches.

Be extremely careful not to touch the coil when the back's off. It's very easy to damage and a replacement circuit can`t be bought separately thesedays....crazy but true.

Best to remove the gasket, clean it, smear a small amount of grease on your fingers then feed the gasket through them. Ensure no big gobs of grease are deposited, the aim is to get a thin even film and it only needs a trace to be present. The role of the grease is to lubricate the caseback and stop the seal being picked up or dragged as the caseback is tightened. Grease plays no role in the sealing whatsoever....or it shouldn`t do.

Tighten the caseback with a sticky ball, using the Jaxa to give it a final nip....it doesn`t need swinging on. Ideally, the crown seal should be lubricated whilst the watch is apart; this involves removing the stem and applying a small amount of silicone grease to the outside of the crown tube. I also put a tiny bit on the threads as lubricant.

Pressure testing after replacement is a moot point. Provided the seal has been reseated correctly, is in good condition, and has been greased, there's no reason for the watch to leak.

Why do some places charge so much for battery swaps on Omegas? The consequences/expense of a mistake is one reason. As I stated, touch that coil and your into big money. Omega won`t sell a movement and you can`t get the circuit separately, so there's potential for a very expensive slip.

Paul

Master
    I stand corrected on the Vase;line - I will get some silicon grease.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Barryboy View Post
    I stand corrected on the Vase;line - I will get some silicon grease.

Rob
    Also available at maplins!

Thanks for that advice. For the cost of an AD change I could buy the tools and do it myself. So I think that's the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Don`t use Vaseline on rubber; there may be issues with the rubber softening and swelling. Silicone grease is the stuff to use, it's available in small tubs from Cousins.

Before taking the back off, clean it forst to minimise the risk of debris getting into the watch. Use a good quality case opener (Jaxa tool) and tape up the back to safeguard against scratches.

Be extremely careful not to touch the coil when the back's off. It's very easy to damage and a replacement circuit can`t be bought separately thesedays....crazy but true.

Best to remove the gasket, clean it, smear a small amount of grease on your fingers then feed the gasket through them. Ensure no big gobs of grease are deposited, the aim is to get a thin even film and it only needs a trace to be present. The role of the grease is to lubricate the caseback and stop the seal being picked up or dragged as the caseback is tightened. Grease plays no role in the sealing whatsoever....or it shouldn`t do.

Tighten the caseback with a sticky ball, using the Jaxa to give it a final nip....it doesn`t need swinging on. Ideally, the crown seal should be lubricated whilst the watch is apart; this involves removing the stem and applying a small amount of silicone grease to the outside of the crown tube. I also put a tiny bit on the threads as lubricant.

Pressure testing after replacement is a moot point. Provided the seal has been reseated correctly, is in good condition, and has been greased, there's no reason for the watch to leak.

Why do some places charge so much for battery swaps on Omegas? The consequences/expense of a mistake is one reason. As I stated, touch that coil and your into big money. Omega won`t sell a movement and you can`t get the circuit separately, so there's potential for a very expensive slip.

Paul

Apprentice
    Plumbers outlets also sell nice pots of silicone grease very cheap.

Silicone is used with rubber as it stops it shrinking, as well as allowing it to slide, all speedfit/polypipe plastic pipe joins use rubber o ring seals kept tight with silicone grease protecting the rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    Silicone grease can be bought in tiny quantities, th tiniest will be more than is needed. A tiny smear on the gasket, spread it evenly, wipe off th excess.
    I put a tiny blob on my 2 index fingers, tap them against my thumbs then pick up and handle the O-Ring - just gently run it through my fingers as if feeding a steering wheel. This is how I was taught to treat them as it ensures total and even coverage.

Currently I use this stuff as I have lots of it;

In the past I have used this stuff - again because I had loads of it, but it isn't cheap and a bit over-kill for this application;

Very good for Oxygen or Nitrous gas applications though ;)

Just smear your ring with this, it'll be fine and ensures a snug fit with minimal leakage

do it yourself , i do its easy and cheap although i am less concerned about pressure testing as i do not get my watches wet and if the seals ok and you screw the back on correctly it should be ok anyway

Well I've got a Jaxa and some silicone grease pads on order from Cousins.

Journeyman
    I would follow Caruso's advise and greas the seal.
    If the seal has been reseated correctly and is in good condition there's no reason for the watch to leak (if your not going to dive with it)

- men

Well it really was a piece of cake with the right tools.

The right tools for the job cost £20.

With the back off tip the watch to let the dust cover fall out revealing the battery. Prise it out and replace with a new one:

Clean then grease the rubber gasket with silicone grease and wipe off the excess.

Screw the back on by hand and gently nip it tight with the Jaxa tool.

Job's a goodun, ready for another 5 years of work, rest and play.

Thanks for all the advice, I've saved myself a few quid and now have some useful new tools.
    Last edited by Caruso; 20th June 2013 at 20:45.

Grand Master
    Just don`t touch that coil.........don`t even scowl at it or offend it because they are VERY sensitive. Damage the coil and it's tears before bedtime!

Paul