closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Incoming! staking tool set

Master

Incoming! staking tool set

Just got this the other week. Bought it sight unseen, just knowing it was a "star tool set in good condition".... Little did I know it was a vintage Star set, absolutely NOS and complete... Has the micrometer for jewel pressing etc, very versatile. Almost afraid to start using it!

Last edited by 744ER; 11th May 2013 at 13:36.

You lucky bugger! I'd love a set like that, mines ancient and virtually worn out.

Banned
    Did you get that off eBay by any chance?

Master
    Hi, no I bought it locally from a friend of a friend. Going to see if I can source some punches for Rolex-rotors.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    Hi, no I bought it locally from a friend of a friend. Going to see if I can source some punches for Rolex-rotors.
    Honestly good luck with finding them!! I must of searched eBay for weeks looking for them, if you find more than one keep hold of them or sell me one.

Drop me a pm if you've got a horia tool with pushers to sell.

Thomas Reid
    That's about the most complete set I've seen. I find mine useful, sometimes for the strangest non-watch related things, but it isn't nearly as snazzy as yours.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Thomas Reid
    Just to add a bit to this thread. Here's my staking set, a West Lake, which is a much more basic one. (I do have an additional jewelling set, however.)

Here's something you can do with it. I need to restaff a balance, but I've never done it before. So, I thought I would practice getting the roller table and balance off the staff. For the roller table, it was nearly impossible for me to get it off without damage using the Bergeon expensive tool (4852), which, I suspect, might be good for adjusting the table. It was a doddle to get off with the Bergeon inexpensive tool (2810).

For getting the staff out, I have an old Kendrick & Davis Balance Staff Remover, which is used with the staking set.

First you put the balance in the appropriate hole for the hub size.

Then you use put in the staff remover. The bottom goes over the staff. The punch goes through the hole in the top of the staking tool, and into the bottom part of the tool. The tool unscrews to make it tight in the staking tool. Then a sharp tap with a (small) hammer, and the staff comes out, the riveting of the staff is sheared off.

With luck, you have an uninjured balance, without the staff.

I have a bunch of broken old balances, so I did it half a dozen times. It was much easier than I expected. Now a little practice riveting on a balance, and I am good to go.

(I hope that this isn't thread stealing!)

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS An alternative way to get the balance off the staff is to use a very fine graver on the lathe and cut off the riveting. I've read that some people prefer that because they think that using this sort of tool might damage the balance. I looked at them closely, and they seemed fine, however. But, I think I'll give this method a go as well just to see.
    RLF
    Last edited by rfrazier; 13th May 2013 at 00:39.

Master
    That set looks beautiful, great antique look.

I was taught to use the lathe first but your method seems to work fine. I guess it depends on the quality of the original balance though, old Omegas are great for instance.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    That set looks beautiful, great antique look.

I was taught to use the lathe first but your method seems to work fine. I guess it depends on the quality of the original balance though, old Omegas are great for instance.

I have never done it but according to my teacher there is only 1 way to do the job and thats on a lathe.