closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think it's Panerai Time

Blog Entries

I think it's Panerai Time

Well gents I have been hankering for a long time and I think it is getting close to take the plunge.
    But like buses there seems to be times when loads pop up and now nothing.....

Really thought I would start the ball rolling with a PAM111 but then thinking do I just jump straight in with a 312 and move something on to cover the extra cost, after all that is my ideal.

Having said this Toby's 88 did catch my eye but not sure about the fussy dial and he wouldn't budge. (Which I appreciate mate as I would be a few quid lighter now).

So...... Where are all the PAM's and to the Panerai fans, what do I jump in with.

Ta
    Pitch

Grand Master
    312 isnt a bad punt, 320, 351 Im a big 1950's case fan
    RIAC

Master
    Go historic.

Banned
    I like some of them, my old 298 below might be replaced by a 42mm 392

Master
    Have a look at the 176 and 210, great watches.

Master
    Agree with the 210. Lovely watch, great for any occasion and always a pleasure to wear. Traded mine for a grail and do miss it a lot. I was always a huge fan of the 088 but every time I tried it on the wrist I felt it lost something which was an almighty shame. The bronze 382 is pretty nice if you can get one and don't mind going full on!

Master
    You can't go wrong with either a 111 or 312 as a great entry point into Panerai.

Master
    For my vote it would have to be the 111. I think every budding Panaristi should start there. You get the classic Luminor case, running seconds at 9, sandwich dial and a classic hand wound movement. I would consider it to be the baseline by which you can expand. You can move back the way to any of the base 2 hand watches, taking things back to basics and the 'purist' way. Or you can move forward to 1950 and luminor cased automatics with further functions. Or Radomir for a dressier look. I also think the 44mm size is just about perfect as well. The 47mm pieces can seem overly large and 42mm very small.

The 111 is probably one of my ultimate all round watches. Dress it up or down with any number of leather strap combos, vintage ammo straps, shiny leather straps, exotic materials. Throw it on rubber and it's good to take a beating as well. And like any watch with a display case back it's always a joy to watch.

I think a PAM is a great addition to any collection, as it's not really going to look like anything else. I agree that a sandwich dial is a must.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Historic models for your first Panerai experience imo, but I would go with the all time classic of an 000.

Master
    I went 312 as it was an auto and i liked the case, dial and it had the easy strap change. However it does sit high on the wrist. Definitely worth finding an AD and trying a few and seeing what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post
    I went 312 as it was an auto and i liked the case, dial and it had the easy strap change. However it does sit high on the wrist. Definitely worth finding an AD and trying a few and seeing what works for you.
    The auto function adds about 3mm to the thickness of the watch, the problem is it's all at the back, the non auto version always sits much flatter on the wrist

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    Historic models for your first Panerai experience imo, but I would go with the all time classic of an 000.
    Superb advice - I started with a 312, then found the jewel in the Panerai crown. Zero is the hero!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    What about the lovely 372?
    Last edited by Skyman; 11th May 2013 at 10:13.

Definitely go classic historic, to me Panerai are all about simplicity.

This is my current line up. (232 still on my wrist) but as you see 3 are clean 12,3,6,9 dial, all are hand wound and non have dates.

The 312 are beautiful Panerai but for me the auto movement, date and quick strap change feature kill it for me, give it a domed crystal like the 233 and my mind may be changed.

000 for simplicity and 005 if you want seconds hand at 9.

IMO painted dials suit the Luminors, bar the 47mm, better than the sandwich dials. Radiomirs are for the sandwich dials.

Don't forget the Subs. Love my 243.

111 or 24 miss both of mine............

I have a 112 which I bought after regretting selling a base logo pam000- however I wore my pam 164 today and all of a sudden my 111 and 112 are up for the chopping block- ok so it's not historic , but I love the auto movement mix of polish and brushed case and the date magnifier.

Good luck with your choice

Well, when I was in the same position as you, I jumped in with this one:

A PAM 312

Apprentice
    I've been looking at Panerais too. The 312 is 44mm the 392 is exact same but is 42mm just in case you feel the 312 is too big for your wrists. Iam only 6.5" wrist.

Master
    I love the basic ones like 111 but also the ceramic ones that they came out with recently like the 441.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post

This is my current line up. (232 still on my wrist) but as you see 3 are clean 12,3,6,9 dial, all are hand wound and non have dates.

The 312 are beautiful Panerai but for me the auto movement, date and quick strap change feature kill it for me, give it a domed crystal like the 233 and my mind may be changed.

000 for simplicity and 005 if you want seconds hand at 9.

IMO painted dials suit the Luminors, bar the 47mm, better than the sandwich dials. Radiomirs are for the sandwich dials.

What do you mean by kill it is that good or bad lol?
    Is it only the autos that have the quick strap change or do all the models have that feature?

Blog Entries
    Ummmmm. Seems in general my thoughts of 111 or 312 are shared, but it is my first toe dip so I think 111 is the way to go. The 312 will follow.

So the hunt begins...........

Many thanks gents for your thoughts and views and I am London next Saturday if anyone fancy's a meet up for a deal. It would be nice to have a new addition for Sundays Norwich Meet up.

Ta
    Pitch

Craftsman
    Cannot go wrong with a 111 , good choice!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by delcbr View Post
    I've been looking at Panerais too. The 312 is 44mm the 392 is exact same but is 42mm just in case you feel the 312 is too big for your wrists. Iam only 6.5" wrist.
    I have a 392 and couldn't be happier. 42mm is the perfect size for me. Also note that 392 doesn't have a '9' which, I think, makes for a better balanced dial than the 312.

simon

Blog Entries
    A few lovely examples have been offered up which is great and many thanks chaps.

Ta
    Pitch

Banned
    312 > 111. 111 is a watch that has been replicated 99% to the real thing for under $300 whereas the 312 has the inhouse movement which hasn't been replicated very well due to its complexity. 312 is better value.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    Don't forget the Subs. Love my 243.

Love the Subs, I have a 064 la Bomba - they are a bit special.

Craftsman
    I think everyone should own a 312 at some point

I have a 320 and a 210 and can say that both are great. 210 for your dose of Panerai history, the 320 is the same as the 312 (nearly!) but with a really neat GMT function.
    Personally I would go 312/320 first - sandwich dial, running seconds, quick strap change facility, then get a Radiomir.........
    Here are mine - look forward to seeing what you choose

Mike

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gladders View Post
    I have a 392 and couldn't be happier. 42mm is the perfect size for me. Also note that 392 doesn't have a '9' which, I think, makes for a better balanced dial than the 312.

simon
    this is SO true, I hate the nine!

Journeyman
    I have a 000 and a 183.

The 000 for the simplicity. Simply stunning. Love it!
    The 183 because it is slightly dressier. Beautiful shape of the case, sandwich dial, seconds hands and the showcase back. Love it!

Best of both worlds but would love to add a 233 in the future.

Any PAM is a good choice really but I definitely lean toward the simple clean models.

Good luck

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post

I completely agree and would go further and say that a tritium dial adds to the appeal. I have one of the first 005 models, with the 'long arrow' dial, but it frequently gets passed over for my preA 1.

Craftsman
    The 000 is great, but had to go 372
    Bases is aces :)

Agreed, now that the 372 hoo-ha has died down, if I were buying a Panerai that would be the one.

The 000 or 111 are still great watches though if you want something a little smaller. Not sure I could live with that crunch-crunch-crunch Unitas winding though. The "feel" doesn't match the price

What about a 390

Gives you the classic look, but modern gold hands and reasonably priced for a Boutique Edition of 2000 units.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by explorer 1 View Post
    Gives you the classic look, but modern gold hands and reasonably priced for a Boutique Edition of 2000 units.

Nice looking piece but massively hyped and very overpriced, imo only, of course.

Banned
    I'd stay away from boutique Pams, you might as well buy a Homage and get a better movement if the 318 is anything to go by.

Nice looking piece but massively hyped and very overpriced, imo only, of course.
    So you would recommend a 000 at £3.3K, over a 390 at just over £4K on the secondhand market.

Blog Entries
    Many thanks again gents for all your views and thoughts.

I have been offered four cracking watches (many thanks guys) but all are quite new and over my budget without moving something on which on reflection I do not really want to do.

Time to sit on my hands a bit longer and let the war chest swell..

Ta
    Pitch

get that war chest and head for an 8 day...... ;-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    So you would recommend a 000 at £3.3K, over a 390 at just over £4K on the secondhand market.

I would suggest a greater differential of around £1k, which to me makes the 390 too expensive for an hours time piece only, regardless that is the original Panerai concept.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    get that war chest and head for an 8 day...... ;-)

My 268 says hi!

I would suggest a greater differential of around £1k, which to me makes the 390 too expensive for an hours time piece only, regardless that is the original Panerai concept.
    Shadowman, you can suggest what you like, but the difference is £1K, and for that you get a Special Edition with gold hands.

Craftsman

This is all the Panerai I'll ever need...

I've got other watches in more reasonably-sized cases with second hands, dates, chronographs, alarms, etc... All I need from a Panerai are the hours and the minutes, displayed front and center on gold hands with a ton of lume. Oh, and it had better be a hand-cranker, too. 47mm? Yup, if I want to go to the opera I'll wear the Reverso.

Regards,
    Adam

PS - Extra points for plexiglas.

If you are going with 44mm, I would suggest either a diver 64,87etc) or something with a 1950 case.
    Personally not a big fan of base models.
    My current choices.A couple are missing.

Subzilla

64C

1950 Monopulsante
    Ferrari

1950 8days Monopulsante
    Last edited by RAJEN; 16th May 2013 at 17:32.

Master
    I have never really liked PAMs, but I must admit I came within a whisker of buying 100thMonkey's PAM312 recently. If he hadnt lived so far away, it would have been mine!

There is something about that watch which hits all the right spots.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by craniotes View Post

I've got other watches in more reasonably-sized cases with second hands, dates, chronographs, alarms, etc... All I need from a Panerai are the hours and the minutes, displayed front and center on gold hands with a ton of lume. Oh, and it had better be a hand-cranker, too. 47mm? Yup, if I want to go to the opera I'll wear the Reverso.

Regards,
    Adam

PS - Extra points for plexiglas.
    word :)

Blog Entries
    And mine... Just got a new gold Riva strap on a tang buckle for it... The PAM 48 (44mm is too much for me)

Ps... Hello everyone... New here!

Ben

Love them all but I always come back to the PAM88.
    auto and just works on the wrist ...