closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My name is John. I am a Flipaholic.

My name is John. I am a Flipaholic.

Been here 12 months. Started off with this Breitling Trans-ocean which I had owned for about 6 years. Discovered this site and the carnage began:

Flipped for this cal.910 Flighty:

Then realised 6.5" wrists and Flightmasters are not generally compatible, so flipped for:

(yes, I wanted some cash for an R8)

and

and

Then flipped all three for this piece of 70s craziness that lasted <7 days:

Got bored and sunk approx £500 at STS into this beauty:

Stupidly flipped the Speedsonic (still long for the dial) for these three:

And then flipped all that lot (miss the JLC) for this:

Which I flipped this week and have a minty Memomatic arriving in the morning. Must be about a watch a month on that record. Someone stop me!

Quite a journey within 12 months but am sure plenty can identify with it! Oh and what's the JLC?

Some lovely pieces there but I would have stuck with the Brietling

Blog Entries
    Hi John

You have completed your 1st step by admitting you're flipaholic...

Craftsman
    Great- story- I can see how I could easily go this way- it's the way to go!

I've flipped well over 200 watches in the past decade. I'm terrible. :s

Thanks for the group support - I hope this will get me through, but I fear that I forgot to mention the cheeky Seiko UFO and Omega f300 Constellation that didn't make it onto my photo montage (because I deleted the photos from Photobucket so forgot I owned them)...

...and there was this little Mondaine diver that was with me for about 48 hours:

Last edited by j0hnbarker; 10th May 2013 at 19:17.

The thrill is in the chase.

Craftsman
    I have a feeling I'm on the slippery slope to becoming one at some point. Yet to flip any watch yet but am about to start this weekend

Did you flip them all on here?

Quote Originally Posted by CVByrne View Post
    I have a feeling I'm on the slippery slope to becoming one at some point. Yet to flip any watch yet but am about to start this weekend

Did you flip them all on here?
    Yep - apart from the UFO. Access to SC was my undoing.

Master
    You're in good company.....have you met Tony? (learningtofly).....he's the resident Jedi Master of flippage ;) lol

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE-W View Post
    You're in good company.....have you met Tony? (learningtofly).....he's the resident Jedi Master of flippage ;) lol
    Yes, bizarrely over a Rolex Oysterquartz. He narrowly beat me to one on SC (think it was his before), then a week later I just missed out again to another buyer as he flipped it back on SC.

Was a nice watch too, but I wonder how long I would have had it for...?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Yes, bizarrely over a Rolex Oysterquartz. He narrowly beat me to one on SC (think it was his before), then a week later I just missed out again to another buyer as he flipped it back on SC.

Longer than Tony that's for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Fuser View Post
    The thrill is in the chase.

+1 Yeah love the chase but not the disappointment

regards
    T

I'm sure there must be a 12 step program for flip-aholism, but I imagine I'd trip over the first few steps.

Grand Master
    i am embarrassed to say i sold a watch, missed it, got it back, and 24 hours later have agreed to flip it again to fund a partial grail....one of which i had and flipped a while back!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    i am embarrassed to say i sold a watch, missed it, got it back, and 24 hours later have agreed to flip it again to fund a partial grail....one of which i had and flipped a while back!
    Oh my God some flippingly funny tales here. I must stop posting so that I never reach the 250only mark

Master
    Since Jan 2011;

Bought 44, sold 37 and kept 7 (of which two are on permanent long term loan to family)

That gives me a flip rate of 84.09%

Yes, yes I do have a spreadsheet

Been here 12 months. Started off with this Breitling Trans-ocean which I had owned for about 6 years. Discovered this site and the carnage began:

Then realised 6.5" wrists and Flightmasters are not generally compatible, so flipped for:

and

and

Which I flipped this week and have a minty Memomatic arriving in the morning. Must be about a watch a month on that record. Someone stop me!
    My story is similar John, in fact I sold you the 6309 in your pic which you then sold and I'm actually wearing as I type this having got it back from the other side of the world!

I remember you getting that back David, and another 6309 going on SC a few days later - which I assumed was the same watch being flipped again!

For completeness, here are the other two watches I dredged photos up for:

First is a minty Seiko UFO. It was one of my first eBay purchases back in 2002 when I was in my early 20s. I wore it daily for about 3/4 years and then dropped it on a gym changing room floor, shattering the crystal. It sat unloved in a drawer until last year when I sank £270 into it at Seiko UK's approved vintage service partner, where it had a new crystal, bezel, hour and minute hands and a full service and case refinish. I then sold it on eBay about a month after it came back for.................£270!

Second is this nice little Omega. A tale of woe is attached to this one from my flipping it via the bay to a buyer in China with zero feedback, but it all ended happily for me despite my own ineptitude:

And finally, today's arrival:

Looks pretty much NOS to me and feels very comfortable. Looking back at my Hx it seems that I favour big 70s meaty watches and this doesn't disappoint. Should be pretty legible in the dark at 02:00 as well!

Hi John. You're not alone!

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    ^^^^This^^^^ :D

I remember you getting that back David, and another 6309 going on SC a few days later - which I assumed was the same watch being flipped again!
    No it wasn't John, I flipped the one I had because I got this one back - you don't look the same gift horse in the mouth twice my friend - it's a beauty

David

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    No it wasn't John, I flipped the one I had because I got this one back - you don't look the same gift horse in the mouth twice my friend - it's a beauty

David
    Yes, looking at the photo I remember that one fondly. Great watch on the super oyster :)

Journeyman
    Well, a wide variety of watches...Nice to see the Omega's

Master
    Blog Entries
    Glad you flipped the speed sonic, it's never left my wrist. Thanks again.

QUOTE=j0hnbarker;2725555]Been here 12 months. Started off with this Breitling Trans-ocean which I had owned for about 6 years. Discovered this site and the carnage began:

and

and

Which I flipped this week and have a minty Memomatic arriving in the morning. Must be about a watch a month on that record. Someone stop me![/QUOTE]

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post
    Since Jan 2011;

Bought 44, sold 37 and kept 7 (of which two are on permanent long term loan to family)

That gives me a flip rate of 84.09%

Funny......but also vaguely disturbing

Craftsman

First is a minty Seiko UFO. It was one of my first eBay purchases back in 2002 when I was in my early 20s. I wore it daily for about 3/4 years and then dropped it on a gym changing room floor, shattering the crystal. It sat unloved in a drawer until last year when I sank £270 into it at Seiko UK's approved vintage service partner, where it had a new crystal, bezel, hour and minute hands and a full service and case refinish. I then sold it on eBay about a month after it came back for.................£270!

Second is this nice little Omega. A tale of woe is attached to this one from my flipping it via the bay to a buyer in China with zero feedback, but it all ended happily for me despite my own ineptitude:

Looks pretty much NOS to me and feels very comfortable. Looking back at my Hx it seems that I favour big 70s meaty watches and this doesn't disappoint. Should be pretty legible in the dark at 02:00 as well!
    I'll buy it off you next week ;)

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE-W View Post

Oi!

As you know, John, I now have that OQ for the third (and final) time. I do miss the Milgauss I flipped (well, it was a kind of 4-way flip) for it, though

Should have stuck with the Breitling.

Wouldn't have got rid of that one.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I tend not to flip much these days, in fact last week I sold the first watch I've got rid of in years, mainly to fund some servicing on others... Is it any wonder that I've been here since 2005 and still haven't reached the state of grace that enables me to sell in the Sales Corner ! ....

I flipped some in the early days though that I really still miss a lot, I think I'd feel even worse John if I had flipped some of the ones that you've shown there, especially that Speedsonic !....

Welcome John!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post
    Spreadsheets are for N00bs - I have a database written in OOBase, and it gives me all sorts of comfort, as well as the financials, there's a relational history for each watch, and space for pictures, and I can output everything to a website if needed. Or a spreadsheet...

Journeyman
    Well we just have one wrist and there are just too many beautiful watches around...

At least this is how I justify my own swift flippings

As this one has been resurrected from the depths, can you guess what happened to the Memomatic?

Yep, it got flipped.

Journeyman

What a watch I only saw one yesterday in the flesh blow my mind

Journeyman

Memomatic

I only saw one of these yesterday for the first time what a watch , unreal , alarm presence , presence on the wrist ,
    What a watch

As this one has been resurrected from the depths, can you guess what happened to the Memomatic?

Yep, it got flipped.
    Lol! Nice one John. What did you get instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    Lol! Nice one John. What did you get instead?
    I don't quite know I got from a vintage Omega to a new Rolex, but I got a Milgauss GV.

It was meant to be the watch to end all watches, but like a true WIS I bought a vintage G Shock yesterday. The rationale behind that was that I would need a watch to wear when using my air rifle/DE shaving/cycling/making coffee/handling huge knives etc. I'll keep the GV to impress any TZ-ers I F2F.
    Last edited by j0hnbarker; 29th July 2013 at 09:20.

Craftsman
    Just so i know when you guys say flip do you mean selling on at a profit, loss or break even, or all of the above?

Master
    Sell on, almost as soon as you get it - sometimes that means taking a hit, other occasions will be what you paid for it.
    Last edited by PJ S; 29th July 2013 at 13:49.

I am not a flipper as I have only sold on a few out of my hoard and they have always been owned for a good while until I got bored with them, this does mean I far too many though. That JLC is lovely though, I can see why flipping that would be regrettable.

Craftsman
    You should have kept the JLC and your first Breitling.

Can you tell us more about the JLC and the pricefor this kind of watch. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sebastien1985 View Post
    You should have kept the JLC and your first Breitling.

Can you tell us more about the JLC and the pricefor this kind of watch. Thanks
    Life is too short for such regrets, and besides, the journey from Breitling to JLC and beyond happened in a particular order so the option of keeping both was never on the table.

Price-wise a JLC like that should be floating around £800-1000 IMO as mine had the full set including box and papers.