closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you wear your watches loose or tight?

Master

Do you wear your watches loose or tight?

This has probably been discussed a million times already but I'm over at Audi getting my "free" car health check, sitting bored to tears so thought I'd ask the question again.

my problem is that my wrist, about 7" is the wrong size for my PO. What I mean is that the bracelet is either too loose or too tight, so I have no choice but to wear it loose. I prefer it to be sitting just before my wrist bone but with the extra (half) link in it puts it at the start of my hand. Hope all this makes sense.
    in the warmer weather it actually sits perfect but that's few and far between in Northern Ireland.

so how do people like their watch to sit?
    Thanks for sticking with me lol.

Tight. Hate to have a watch flopping about. It feels bad and depending on the watch and just how loose means you sometimes have to jiggle it to be able to see it clearly. Nowadays when I see loose watches on bracelets, it just makes me think of hugely baggy jeans hanging down to the knees and boxers on show.

Sympathise if you're between sizes. One of the things I love about braided 'tropic' NATOs.

loose, always loose so that rotating my wrist will get the watch to move an inch or so up or down my wrist

Fairly loose, as long as the watch head is always on top. I.e., the watch can't turn freely and end up upside down. So basically, just a little play so it can move up and down.

I really can't stand tight watches, and that's possibly why I'm not very good with leather straps, as they don't move as freely as steel.

Blog Entries
    I have it tight anoth so it's not loose but loose anoth that it's not tight just how it should be lol

Craftsman
    Loose, but yours look looser than I would have. In which case if it was slightly tight, I'd probably have that.

Master
    It can't rotate all the way round, that would do my absolute scone in! I prefer it to be tighter than looser but the problem is once I get into work and start sweating etc it gets uncomfortably tight, every now and then I'll put it on the mesh with the seatbelt clasp as I can get my perfect fit with that, my favourite look though is on the oem bracelet.
    i have 4 different straps/bracelets for the watch.

Loose.

I cant stand a watch tight on my wrist. It has to be able to move a little.
    This can be a problem for me becuase I have an over 8" wrist and even a 'full length' bracelet is sometimes to tight.

Master

Angry Can't stand it tight

I have quite prominent bones and have problems finding just the right size.I prefer Nato's but I'm even between sizes on them,i think you need to experiment with different manufacturers of straps to find the right one.
    I love Eddies Nato's but I'm between the holes on them,currently i use Perlon straps as they fit perfectly for me.I can't get away with bracelets,but I'm currently experimenting with leather straps.

My wrist swells and contracts during the course of the day so that it's very difficult to find a suitable setting without the watch flapping around at some point. I used to wear them loose because of this but have got used to wearing them tighter over the years, but I still find myself taking my watch off every now and again to give my wrist a rest. Over time I've found that bracelets tend to expand as you wear them anyway, there's just the uncomfortable 'wearing in' period. The obvious answer is wear a strap, but the problem is I like bracelets.

Loose to the point it can wedge on the edge but not swivel all the way round

Fitted with enough room to get index finger between bracelet/strap and wrist, cannot stand them being loose or moving around the wrist.

It needs to be tight for me. I have my watches sitting on my wrist-bone (as that tilts the face closer towards me, rather than hanging further around my wrist) but the drawback of wearing it like this is that when it inevitably slides up my arm it becomes loose and flappy on my arm, which is annoying but it's just a bit too tight to be able to easily push it back up onto my wristbone without taking it off to do so.

It's an endless, daily struggle for comfort!

Similar problem with my Railmaster on its bracelet… starts off not sitting perfectly and moving down my arm, but as I warm up it sits perfectly. I don't think I can take anymore links out or the mechanism will be to far around my 6.75 wrist!

Don't really like a watch swinging about myself.

A chubster is likely to wear it looser than a skinny bloke, due to clamminess mainly plus the blubber factor

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    A chubster is likely to wear it looser than a skinny bloke, due to clamminess mainly plus the blubber factor
    Love that, here say what you think!
    well for the record I'm not chubby but still prefer it to be looser as it gets too uncomfortable to the point I'd have to take it off.

Currently I have one watch on a leather strap, all others are bracelet. The leather is now quite nicely worn and snugs against my wrist.

With regards to bracelets my preference is for a slightly loose bracelet so there is room for wrist swelling without the watch feeling too tight against the wrist and the links stretching. However getting that adjustment right is a nightmare, adding a link tends to be too much whereas an alteration on the clasp no always enough.

Yesterday my watch was slightly loose but not flopping around, today my watch is flopping up and down my wrists which is really annoying, tomorrow who knows! On the plus side the bracelet on my daily wearer (Explorer 2) is fairly light and not at all constrictive.

The PO is on my hit list but I know this is a heavy watch, if I couldn't get the bracelet right I know it would end up annoying me.

I think you've asked a good question OP, glad someone else has bracelet frustration.

Tight - They bug the hell out of me if they're floating around!

M.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Loose - with about an index finger gap. However all my straps are leather or nato, so if it gets too loose I can easily tighten it.

I guess I must be a chubster then; I like my watches fairly loose and therefore prefer bracelets to leather or NATO.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Tight - They bug the hell out of me if they're floating around!

M.
    This. Very tight. Even more so on heavier watches.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hate it loose and hate it tight. Try to make it snug!

Loose for me, can't stand a tight bracelet! Like a few other posters on this thread I need to be able to get an index finger in In fact you could say I don't wear a 'wrist' watch, rather a 'joint' watch as that's wear it sits most of the time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CafeRacer View Post
    Loose for me, can't stand a tight bracelet! Like a few other posters on this thread I need to be able to get an index finger in In fact you could say I don't wear a 'wrist' watch, rather a 'joint' watch as that's wear it sits most of the time.
    Elbow joint?

Journeyman
    if watch is on a bracelet - loose.
    on a leather or rubber strap - tightish.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Loose if a bracelet tighter if a strap.

Loose. My wrist seems to swell during the night so I find the spring loaded setting on the Pelagos useful.

Master
    Loose, I find it really uncomfortable if I wear it tight.

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    Loose if a bracelet tighter if a strap.
    +1. Albeit not loose enough that it swivels. Just not as thight as s trap or indeed a NATO.

This tightness/looseness problem bugs the heck out of me and I end up jumping between holes on my NATOs several times a day as the temperature changes. It's why I can't do a bracelet! I like the watch to sit loose enough so that I can slide it up and down, but not loose enough that it will slide without my help, if that makes any sense? Being loose enough to slide over my wrist bone and dangle around on my hand is an absolute no-no.

Craftsman
    I like mine loose on steel but tight on leather.

Actually, I used to be a fatty and had constant bother with wrist swelling and watches getting tighter/looser throughout the day. Then I got super skinny and now I never have even the slightest variation in tightness. Fit and forget. I think it would be interesting to compare strap fit preference with BMI :)

Craftsman
    i like the look of a watch where there are no gaps to the wrist. this might be uncomfortable depending on the watch or strap so finding the right one is crucial.

tight for me!

Tight so it doesn't flop around. Glide lock on Ceramic sub is perfect for this.

One of the reasons the speedy was flipped was it's lack of fine adjustment.

In this forum you regularly read about those who wear budget watch in their collection on a regular basis, I wonder if that's simply due to comfort. I have an Eco drive that fits so perfectly and the strap looks great, so it gets worn all the time.

Master

Unhappy Depends on the weight

Think it depends on the watch head weight,i recently bought a Bambino and put it on a Nato, it's supremely comfortable.
    The other extreme is my Skx007 on a Nato,the head feels too heavy as i cant wear it tight,i feel it should be on a rubber but it gives me a sweaty wrist.

Tight for my SD, as otherwise it flops around. Looser (but still snug) for my other watches which are not as top-heavy. The ratchet-style new SubC clasp is a boon for me.

Journeyman
    I tend to wear mine fairly tight but in summer as my wrist expands more I struggle with being between sizes on bracelets.

I've recently swapped my Sinn 556 onto a leather strap because the bracelet was getting uncomfortably tight during the day and adding an extra link to the bracelet makes it too loose for my liking. I don't like my watch to be able to move up and down my wrist. The bracelet will go back on in the autumn.

I have to wear mine loose, feels uncomfortable if tight, as long as I can fit my pinkie under one of the lugs at the bracelet that's fine for me

Journeyman
    Tight, with a liitle bit of room. Loose feels horrible.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    Actually, I used to be a fatty and had constant bother with wrist swelling and watches getting tighter/looser throughout the day. Then I got super skinny and now I never have even the slightest variation in tightness. Fit and forget. I think it would be interesting to compare strap fit preference with BMI :)
    Hmm, haven't weighed myself recently, so guessing BMI round 19.7, 6.2in wrist.

Tight. I used to wear my watches loose but since wearing them tight I wouldn't go back.

I used to wear them tight, but now more loose as I get more fat, I guess!

tight for me can't be dong with them banging into my wrist..

Master
    Slightly loose with me, so I prefer leather.

Some advice for you, have you tried playing around with two half links? As I'm sure I read somewhere that two halfs don't quite make up a full link.

Bracelets, adjusted so I can get a finger under the strap.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunsung View Post
    Slightly loose with me, so I prefer leather.

Some advice for you, have you tried playing around with two half links? As I'm sure I read somewhere that two halfs don't quite make up a full link.
    That is actually a very good idea, if you're right.
    like maybe take a full link out and put 2 half links in? I'll maybe have to do a bit of research on that, in the meantime, since starting this thread I've removed the half link to make it tighter again, and then removed the whole bracelet and put the watch onto rubber :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by tritium View Post
    I like mine loose on steel but tight on leather.

This is exactly for me

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper-sam View Post
    That is actually a very good idea, if you're right.
    like maybe take a full link out and put 2 half links in? I'll maybe have to do a bit of research on that, in the meantime, since starting this thread I've removed the half link to make it tighter again, and then removed the whole bracelet and put the watch onto rubber :lol:
    Exactly! Half links are only around £30 from the boutique if I remember correctly. Or if you are lucky somebody on here might be kind enough to lend you one if you cover postage?

Loose ish on a bracelet - I don't wear it so tight I get marks from the bracelet, but not so loose the watch moves around. So maybe that's just a neat fit?