closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Some rare and nice watches i found today and a milsub story.

Banned

Some rare and nice watches i found today and a milsub story.

today i went to

and had a look in the window here

i was told this was a very rare and limited edition,i had to get it out of the window to straighten the bezel!
    fely lovely to wind and that inner bezels a joy,not to big and just looks so good.hard to believe its from 1970.

thats better all aligned now

this old speedy was nice but to worn maybe for my tastes
    there was also a cobbled together pre moon speedy with a mk2 dial and a different movement but he couldnt give me a price.

this was in the safe again he wasnt sure what the price would be his dad wasnt there [maybe £2,500 he thought]?
    the first time ive seen a bund and now i want one,what a watch.
    the way it wound and the pushers operated,plus it just looked good and comfortable on the wrist with a original bund [NATO numbered] strap.

there was a lot of other stuff but i arrived at closing time,WWW omega,monaco etc.etc.
    i just love the old stuff he has in there,as for the storys of the milsubs.
    his dad bought lots at various auctions for about £100 each back in the day,no one else bid much.
    he couldnt sell them no one wanted ex military so he drilled the fixed bars out and re dialled them to sell them.
    hindsights a wonderfull thing so we cant blame him,but what a loss for today.
    Last edited by soapy; 3rd May 2013 at 00:26.

Love that IWC! Where in Stratford is the shop? I know George Pragnell, who deals in high end new watches but not this place, and vintage shops are usually more interesting for me. After all, "let every man be master of his time" (well, if you're talking about Stratford you've got to throw in a Shakespeare quote).

I had a look in this shop the other week, I'm not sure when it opened, but I would think it must be within the last 6 months or so. The web-site seems to be ...

http://www.christopherpoel.co.uk/watches/

They have some nice older watches, didn't seem that cheap but not outrageously expensive either. Spoke to one of the staff inside and he seemed pretty friendly.

Banned
    http://www.christopherpoel.co.uk/watches/

thats the one theres a big glossy watch shop on the high street as well,but not half as interesting.
    most of their s/h stock is glitzy wag and footballer type stuff.

Banned
    details of the IWC can be found here

http://www.iwcforum.com/Articles/2004/HistoryText.html

IWC introduced its first true diving wristwatch, the Aquatimer, in the mid-1960s. The earliest construction drawings that have been found for this model, the Reference 812AD, were from November 1966. This watch, re-designated as Reference 1812 in 1974, was notable because it was water resistant to 20 atmospheres or approximately 700 feet. 37mm in diameter, it had three distinguishing visual characteristics: a rotating internal bezel, two crowns, and an engraved caseback. It was powered by IWC’s great automatic movement, Calibre 8541. IWC’s new Aquatimer was first publicly shown at the Basel Fair of 1967, although it is possible that some models may have been unveiled and sold before the Fair.

Today, the Ref. 812AD/1812 is a rare and highly prized collector's item. However, the model had a very conservative design –which today is considered “classic”-- and consequently may not have sold well. Even its dial variations were relatively staid combinations of black, silver or white. Apparently, IWC management apparently decided that more dash was needed, and a newer design was introduced.

In March of 1968, less than two years since the official introduction of the first Aquatimer, construction drawings were started for the successor model, Reference 816AD (Reference 1816 from 1974 onwards). This model was more radical in design or, what might be charitably termed, the watch was a product of its times. We need to remember that the ‘60s were the era of the Beatles and bell bottom pants; this new model apparently was intended to fit right in.

Craftsman
    That IWC is fab.

What a wonderful discovery. That IWC is a long time want for me. Thanks for posting your pics up.

- - - Updated - - -

What a wonderful discovery. That IWC is a long time want for me. Thanks for posting your pics up.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post

- - - Updated - - -

He told me they are very,very rare it was around 9 grand if I remember correct.
    i have to say I loved it something very special.

Master
    Here's one I keep lusting after - on a bracelet
    http://www.bachmann-scher.de/de/iwc/...elet-4618.html

Chris and his dad, Melvin, have a good selection of vintage and pre-owned watches in their shop in Stratford-upon-Avon.

Well worth a visit whilst waiting for the theatres to open!!

MW

;-)

Journeyman
    How much was the Aquatimer?

Journeyman
    That Breitling is a good looking watch as well

Craftsman

Angry

Was there last Wednesday but it was closed. Had a look in the window and it looked ok.....but not too interesting so I carried on.
    Pants and vest........gonna have to go back again !!

Thanks for the tip off, it's only half an hour from me so I think I might offer to take the better half and our daughter to see the Christmas lights and then oh "look what I've found, a nice little watch shop" ;)