closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: mkii stingray 60

Journeyman

mkii stingray 60

just seen mkii's blancpain homage mock up. All i can say is woow!!! im moving to the states, yipee!!!prefer no date set up though , grumble , :D hope it will be an option.

Drool. Plain and simple.

:love10:

Journeyman
    Hi!

According to Bill Yao, all the current dials for his MMT Blackwater will be available for the Stingray, so a no-date dial will be an option. A couple of more dials are on the horizon prior to the actual finalization of orders, plus a new set of hands.

BTW, I've already pre-ordered mine. It will be my third Yao watch. I luv 'em. Both of mine are very accurate, hardy, and great to look at. Advice to all: Get on line (queue) for one!

Grayman

I like this one very much, I just wish he had reproduced the bombé bezel insert.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Grand Master
    I understand Bill is still testing an acrylic insert option.

Not much aken with the FF or Stingray myself, though. Not a diver-type, y'know. :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

That is very tasty. :)

I like the date and date position, plus the dial, but to be honest the overall design isn't one that I love. Bezel looks too wide to my eyes. Mind you, I'm sure it will be extremely well built, and is probably a good homage to the original (which I'm not familiar with), it's just not a design that appeals to me.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    I like this one very much, I just wish he had reproduced the bombé bezel insert.

Eddie
    Hi Eddie,

Did that one turn out to be kosher then? I like it anyway, even if it's not quite right. ;-)

Do you have any plans to do a hommage? :lol:

Tra

JasonG

Quote Originally Posted by JasonG

Hi Eddie,

Did that one turn out to be kosher then? I like it anyway, even if it's not quite right. ;-)

Tra

JasonG
    It looks like the case of the Stingray 50 ... with a different bezel. :shock:

john
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Hi all

Already having two of Bill's watches I was keen to see how this hommage would turn out.

To be honest it "doesn't float my boat", the bezel/crystal dimensions in particular.

Sure it will be a seller though.!

Thanks
    deano

Eddie
    Hi Eddie,

Do you have any plans to do a hommage? :lol:

Tra

JasonG
    It never was kosher Jason. It's an exact copy of the original right down to the name on the dial and also on the rotor of the correct vintage movement. You can see them on eBay advertised as Polish military or something similar and a typical asking price is 2000 euros plus.

I had it on approval and I returned it, not at all happy about the original name being used on the dial. This is the exact same model I had.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Exceptional-Vinta ... dZViewItem

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I saw this last weekend at a PMWF meet in NYC. Bill asked everyone to keep hush about it till he opened for pre-orders. It is a very well finished piece. Nice and solid the insert on the prototype was damaged while it was being installed and Bill was still trying to decide on it. Hands are the one shown and he had it on a ghastly rubber strap. Bezel was smooth as silk but since he had it set for the correct time and date I didn't unscrew the crown. He also didn't have the correct date wheel installed it will be white on black. And yes my pre-order is in.

Master
    It never was kosher Jason. It's an exact copy of the original right down to the name on the dial and also on the rotor of the correct vintage movement. You can see them on eBay advertised as Polish military or something similar and a typical asking price is 2000 euros plus.

I had it on approval and I returned it, not at all happy about the original name being used on the dial. This is the exact same model I had.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Exceptional-Vinta ... dZViewItem

Eddie
    Ah, I see. I must have misunderstood when you originally posted it. It's a shame as they look rather nice but, as you say, using the name illegitimately is a bit off. What sort of money does a kosher original FF go for?

Tra

JasonG

Ah, I see. I must have misunderstood when you originally posted it. It's a shame as they look rather nice but, as you say, using the name illegitimately is a bit off. What sort of money does a kosher original FF go for?

Tra

JasonG
    Probably about the same as they're asking for these fake originals. I see the fakes are being featured on the Trias website as "new old stock".

http://www.trias-uhren.de/Lageruhren/OR ... :6988.html

Eddie

Doesn't Bill Yao own the rights to the name TORNEK-RAYVILLE? If so, it would seem logical that he would offer the Stingray with that dial (maybe the No Radiations version) also... wow, that would be REALLY cool, as the originals of those are already out of reach for many and still climbing ! 8)

Bill did apply to register Tornek-Rayville but then withdrew his application. I don't know why but suspect he may have been leaned on.

Eddie

I'm sure Bills iteration of this will be a nicely made and finished piece. That said the fundamental design really doesn't do it for me. The bezel seems too wide in terms of proportion to the case and I'm not that keen on the hands. Good job we're all different I suppose :)

Rich

Bill did apply to register Tornek-Rayville but then withdrew his application. I don't know why but suspect he may have been leaned on.

Eddie
    Eddie, the searches I've done indicate that Bill did indeed abandon his initial application for the TORNEK-RAYVILLE mark in 2004, but that he then re-filed with a new, improved, more robust application in September, 2006, and that the second of the two applications for registration is currently LIVE. Please let me know if your information is more current. Has he abandoned the second application also? I can't find that info anywhere... :?:

No Brian, I was referring to the 2004 application. Being as Blancpain still use "Rayville" and is part of the Swatch Group, he must be a brave man to try again.

Eddie

Journeyman
    i think , 'yaoville' sounds cool in an avant gard sense or even just the stingray 60 in a styalised font , but getting back to the fake blancpain shouldnt trias be getting in trouble for this. They look brand new , i dont believe theyre 1980s old stock unless they've been cryogenicly frozen! but hey thats probably as dubious a statement as to their originality. But i have seen these on the bay and i wouldnt know the difference especially scince one seller was based in swissland.