closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thinking about Selling Tag to buy Omega...best way to go about this?

Thinking about Selling Tag to buy Omega...best way to go about this?

Hi hope you can help..(i know first post sorry!)

I bought a Tag Aquaracer 500m just over 3 years ago, long story short the crown has broken and its going to be £310 to repair, the problem was a stripped thread, which is apparently reasonably common in that model.

This has undermined my confidence in the Tag brand and I was thinking about getting an Omega planet ocean instead..

..any advice on the best way to go about this? eg:

Get the tag fixed and trade in
    just sell it as it is, (I am not interested in messing around on ebay to much)
    Or would the resale value be that low its not really worth it??
    Is there any good online retailers who would take mine in as P-ex against a new Omega?

Is there any other watches worth considering instead of the omega PO (for around that price or cheaper) I like reasonable large simple watches that keep reasonable time, waterproof and be robust enough for day to day use and knocks etc? Pref automatic and reserves of 40 or so hours plus

A good independent watchmaker should be able to fix that fairly easily and the watch will be worth £5-600 when fixed so it's definitely worth repairing.

It is a common fault on that one model so don't let it put you off the brand completely as they make some really good watches.

To get advice on the omega, it would be best to give us an idea of your budget.

Apprentice
    Sell as is or fix and sell. If you trade it in they will try to make a decent profit on your tag as well, not only the watch you are buying.

It still has some value to it, so if you reckon you won't use it anymore after your new purchase I would sell it. The value is going to drop further.

The PO is a very nice and versatile watch. It's popular as well, so you should be able to find a nice second hand piece if you look around a little bit.

Master
    Blog Entries
    See if you can get an independent to fix it then sell. I got hold of a nice PO off our SC near enough looks as new box papers etc £1800 its a 2010 so not the 8500 movement.

Thanks for the help...I might try and find an independent repairer...I had been quoted 8 - 10 weeks by Tag for the repair..

My budget for an omega..well I'd like to spend 2-3k, but back in the real world thats prob not going be enough the omega PO I was looking at was 3.7k which was at the top end of my budget...

I think I'd prefer to buy new rather than 2nd hand..even at the premium that will cost me.

I do think this watch has (big dail with leather strap) rather stolen my heart....

http://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/000123...n-Mens-Watch/p

There's laid of pos about,have a look at watchfinder ,you can probably get one that's nearly new never been worn from them

Quote Originally Posted by QuantumDrift View Post
    I think I'd prefer to buy new rather than 2nd hand..even at the premium that will cost me.

Why would you prefer to buy new? These have a 4-year warranty so you could pick one up with 2+ years remaining on the warranty and save yourself £££s

Iconic have it for around 3k
    Last edited by Montybaber; 2nd December 2014 at 18:52.

OP I am sure I saw a thread on here not so long ago with exactly the same issue.The poster didn't accept that Tag would not mend it as they know its a common fault with that model.He persisted with his claim to the point where I believe it was mended FOC.

Might be worth trying them again.

Thanks,

Great find on the watch from iconic, never heard of then are they ok?

Not sure about 2nd hand. I understand that will end up costing me, but for me this is probably far more an 'emotional' purchase than a practical one.

It's also maybe worth a shot at tag, you never know :)

Thanks

Iconic have a great reputation here so I shouldn't worry about buying through them.

They are grey imports, usually from the EU in case that bothers you.

Well I have posted the watch bag to tag with a covering letter, the watch just over 3 years old, asking if they will repair FOC.

Thanks for the advice, even if I do end up paying I will not loose by giving it a go..I bought a cheap Seiko 5 to tide me over till it comes back...

...still really like the Omega...maybe in the Jan sales? Is it common to find big discounts then?

Thanks for all your help ,such appricated

Grand Master
    OP, I think you've done right!

Out of goodwill, or to protect their brand, TAG should soak this one up and fix it FOC. They can always argue that it's been damaged by rough handling etc, but there is history with these things being a bit fragile.

If you're still getting no joy I may be able to help and replace the case tube for a fair price. Not my favorite job.....hopefully you'll get some joy from TAG!

Paul