closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The meaning of the term Broad Arrow

The meaning of the term Broad Arrow

The meaning of the term Broad Arrow:

The 'pheon' (a bearing representing the head of a Broad Arrow or javelin, with long barbs which are engrailed on the inner edge) was carried before royalty by a sergeant-at-arms. It became a royal mark, used in Great Britain to denote crown property, being termed the "Broad R,"or "Broad Arrow." The Broad Arrow was chosen as the logo for the Military Watch Resource use as the official mark designating British Government issued property.

http://tinyurl.com/wo4o

=== I can see a 'PRECISTA-PHEON' somewhere in the future. ===

JD
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

That's one theory but I researched this last year and this is what I came up with:

The pheon, or broad arrow, was first used to identify government property by Henry Sidney Earl of Romney (1641-1704), who was Master of Ordnance to King William and Queen Mary from 1693-1702. Henry Sidney was also one of the men who persuaded William of Orange to become King of England.
    Henry was instructed to mark all government property in an attempt to reduce theft. He chose to use the Sidney family emblem, which can still be seen in many places at Penshurst (the family seat), and which is still in use by the government today.
    Grateful thanks to Robert Noel, Lancaster Herald at the College of Arms London for putting me on the right track.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Thank you very much, that was very informative.
    Does that mean that if an item carries the mark it can be taken off us at a moments notice? :shock:

JD
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    He chose to use the Sidney family emblem, which can still be seen in many places at Penshurst (the family seat), and which is still in use by the government today.
    Hello Eddie,

now that is a beautiful broadarrow... ever thought of putting that (in the conventional way, with tip up) on a dial, e.g. instead of the bloated fat arrow of the Omega '53... ?

Best regards,

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

I can see the attraction, it looks like a spearhead from the Crusades :wink: I hadn't thought about using it but I'll play around with it later and see what it looks like.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    I can see the attraction, it looks like a spearhead from the Crusades
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best regards,

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")