closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me that doesnt 'get' Tag watches?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    Your are Huertecilla and I claim my £5.
    Be that as is may, or may not, like Armstrong painting his Spitfire yellow, it's still "not allowed"
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    I have two...

and this one

Both early models and both autos and both better than these photos suggest... LOL. I do not like the low end quartz models at all but I do like a lot of the autos and a Carrera might well be on the incoming list later this year.

Rob

I think it's true that the cheaper Tag quartzes are common to see amongst people who don't really know watches.

Personally...

Classic models such as the Monaco and Monza
    Serious innovation - Mikrotimer
    Nicer models in recent years
    Twin-time - nice , simple, classic design.

Dislikes:

The rather tacky way they are displayed in many places although they are moving to more 'boutiquey' style cabinet instead of thrown into windows on crooked display stands.
    Link bracelets..is there a worse bracelet design in history? And I think they still use them (?)
    Some models seem very over-priced relative to the competition. Less than 2k to spend on a watch? Consider Tag. Over 3k? You stop looking at Tag and move to the competition.
    Not really a dislike but yes they are considered to be the most likely watch for someone not into watches but wants to buy an 'expensive', decent watch - usually their first foray into expensive watch world. Don't really see this as an issue though. As has been said, there are other brands which attract both people not into watches but wanting to splash the cash on an image...and total doofuses.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scarto View Post
    Link bracelets..is there a worse bracelet design in history? And I think they still use them (?)
    They do because they're popular - and they are considered very comfortable. However the curvy, bracelet-y looks are a bit of-their-time, and don't appeal to men who like things angular and manly and prefer to think they aren't wearing jewellery :).
    Not really a dislike but yes they are considered to be the most likely watch for someone not into watches but wants to buy an 'expensive', decent watch - usually their first foray into expensive watch world. Don't really see this as an issue though.
    Well, by definition it can't be an issue; it meets a ready and consistent demand, and if TAG didn't fill that slot, someone else would.

Nothing about TAG as a brand that I like.... now vintage Heuer, thats a differnt thing.

Craftsman
    Interesting thread this.

Like all things there will be the enthusiasts, WIS in our case. But take petrol heads or people interested in fashion. I'm sure both have their "dislikes" and laugh at the supposedly "sheep" or "common man" with their choice of car or clothes that are now not "cool" with the in crowd.

It happens in every area of comsumer goods. Take electronics, I'm a hige enthusiast. But you can see once the masses "buy in" to something it immediatly becomes uncool and tech press move away from it. First the iPhone to the the Galaxy S, now away from Galaxy S to HTC One. It's amusing, but it's down to people wanting a top class phone that isn't "common".

The exact same thing can be said about Tag now. Gifts for 21st or 30th birthdays, people gets Tags. Want to buy a "name" watch for x amount, get a Tag. They sell a lot of watches and they fill the position of watch in this price range for the masses, there's nothing wrong with that tbh.

I've always had my own opinions on all things, I buy what I like and I know my taste is going to be mine alone. I don't worry that I own a Tag that it's an "uncool" watch for the WIS, I like it I have an Omega and a Rolex too that I also like.

For me I'd prefer to wear a watch that I like than worry about the brand image. For example Panerai, I do not like at all and can't see myself ever wearing one. That's personal taste and the image of the brand means nothing to me as I don't like their watches.

People should just buy what they like in my opinion and not worry too much about what other people are buying.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    They do because they're popular - and they are considered very comfortable. However the curvy, bracelet-y looks are a bit of-their-time, and don't appeal to men who like things angular and manly and prefer to think they aren't wearing jewellery :).
    whilst the original link bracelet on the Sel models were very curvy, they have sharpened up and evolved over the years. The latest link bracelet on the CAT/WAT models are very angular but still recognisably link bracelets.

Craftsman
    There are some TAGs I don't like, but I loved my Carrera.
    I then desperately wanted a Monaco, but it just didn't suit me. I was disappointed but didn't want to spend that much for something with which I would never be comfortable.

I took a TAG Link quartz in a trade back in 2006. Not something I would have gone out and bought, but I thought 'why not? I can always flip it if I don't like it'.

Well, it's still happily sitting in my collection almost seven years later and I have to say that not only is it the most comfortable of all my bracelet fitted watches, it's also, (ignoring my radio controlled Casio - that a cheating way of maintaining accuracy), the most accurate watch I own. It's not thermo-compensated like my Aerospace, but it's more accurate. The only time I have to make any change to it is when the clocks go back or forward and by then it's one second out if anything.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    whilst the original link bracelet on the Sel models were very curvy, they have sharpened up and evolved over the years. The latest link bracelet on the CAT/WAT models are very angular but still recognisably link bracelets.
    Ah, the S/EL... named covertly after a Wall Street-friendly Mercedes-Benz, and similarly of its time. A friend bought one after a year's hard slog of washing dishes in Leeds to help pay for a university career but diverted some of it into The Sportiest Watch I'd Ever Seen. That smooth, curvy bracelet, the tu-tone case, that fashionable quartz movement*... to hell with horology, I mean who wore a iconic Sub or a historic Speedy in 1987, and caressed it lovingly every morning in the toilet? Even James Bond had binned his Rolex fetish by then, preferring a PVD Heuer whilst beating up Benicio Del Toro.

These days it would have your average cognoscento vomiting into his Dornblueth service book or Omega brochure. But like that metallic blue 380 SEL that occasionally appeared on the street where I lived, I coveted it. Happy days, when we had proper seasons and long summers (and a heady crime rate)...

* probably still ticking today, if given half a chance. ESA 536, if I'm not mistaken

Craftsman
    Well since starting this thread I came across this, and it has to be one of the best Chav Heuers I have seen and wouldn't mind one myself.

Ah, the S/EL... named covertly after a Wall Street-friendly Mercedes-Benz, and similarly of its time. A friend bought one after a year's hard slog of washing dishes in Leeds to help pay for a university career but diverted some of it into The Sportiest Watch I'd Ever Seen. That smooth, curvy bracelet, the tu-tone case, that fashionable quartz movement*... to hell with horology, I mean who wore a iconic Sub or a historic Speedy in 1987, and caressed it lovingly every morning in the toilet? Even James Bond had binned his Rolex fetish by then, preferring a PVD Heuer whilst beating up Benicio Del Toro.

These days it would have your average cognoscento vomiting into his Dornblueth service book or Omega brochure. But like that metallic blue 380 SEL that occasionally appeared on the street where I lived, I coveted it. Happy days, when we had proper seasons and long summers (and a heady crime rate)...

* probably still ticking today, if given half a chance. ESA 536, if I'm not mistaken
    Those were the days. I left Leeds in 1987 after 4 years of Uni and 1 working. I didn't buy my first Tag (4000) until 1991. All my money went on bikes and booze. They actually paid you a liveable grant in them days so any other income was pocket money.

The popularity of the S/EL could be measured by the thousands of cheap fakes being touted in every holiday resort. All long since broken and binned by now so any around today are more than likely to be genuine. Ayrton Senna famously wore one before moving on to the 6000.

Personally, I wasn't a fan but I do like the later Link series (without the serrated bezel) and currently have a Calibre36 version.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by PCthug View Post
    Well since starting this thread I came across this, and it has to be one of the best Chav Heuers I have seen and wouldn't mind one myself.

Not really a TAG fan, but that it really nice.....

Still probably prefer a classic Heuer though.

Craftsman
    I didn't get Tags either. Didn't see the point.
    Then I ended up with this WAJ2180 in a trade and, I have to say, it is seriously growing on me. Relatively understated, nice pin stripe detailing on the face and one of the best lume jobs I have seen; a nice yellow colour that jumps off the face as well in daylight as it does at night.
    I think I may struggle to let this one go..

[IMG]www.imgur.com/UekNxeZ[/IMG]

where the girls are pretty and the watches tickin´
    Cant walk with Tag-Heuer, no spirit in them for me. But the Heuers burns forever!

Journeyman
    Not for me. Sort of thing Harry Enfield's "Loads a money" might have worn.

Quote Originally Posted by Deploderer View Post
    Not for me. Sort of thing Harry Enfield's "Loads a money" might have worn.
    I thougt that epitaph belonged to Rolex.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    I thougt that epitaph belonged to Rolex.
    Yeah your probably right.

Master
    I like some tag watches, but I can't stand Breitling.........Just bling!

Craftsman
    I've ended up liking both ;)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hewjardon; 20th May 2013 at 00:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    Same here - I see Breitling and can't get past the shiny, glitzy stuff. There might be some nice ones out there, but I'm put off by the bling.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    Please don't generalise!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Please don't generalise!
    He's new; hasn't been through the catalogue yet ;). Here's some "bling":

Calling Tag a chav brand is just playground level debate. Where I work Tag is the most common brand worn by senior managers, hardly what you'd call Chavs!

I agree though that quartz Tag's are often brought by people who no nothing about watches but think they have got an amazing watch because it's a Tag. I don't see why this should put us off their more interesting offerings though.

On the second hand market some Tags can be a bit of a bargain. I've owned a few autos and found them to be good quality and great value for money. I'm a big fan of their Heuer re-editions which offer vintage looks and modern reliability (and no worries about parts supply!).

Also whilst the looks of the Link bracelet divides opinion (I like it) it really is a very clever design in terms of how it fits together.

Yeah I don't get them either;)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post

Yeah I don't get them either;)
    Now that one I would wear (however, its not a tag).

Master
    In the '90s they were a sort of 'poor man's Rolex' - the watch that people who wanted a nice watch but didn't want to stretch to an Oyster would tend to buy. In spite of having two Rolexes myself I bought a quartz Tag in '97 and am still fond of it - lovely matt blue dial and a nicely finished case. Presently on a matching blue NATO and looks the business.

Now that one I would wear (however, its not a tag).
    How so?

TAG HEUER CARRERA MIKROGRAPH HEUER

THE FIRST EVER COLUMN WHEEL INTEGRATED MECHANICAL CHRONOGRAPH WITH 1/100th OF A SECOND DISPLAY BY A CENTRAL HAND

WORLD PREMIERE IN GENEVA

“MASTERING SPEED” EXHIBITION : BEST CARS, BEST WATCHES...

World First
    TAG Heuer introduces the first ever column wheel integrated mechanical chronograph displaying the 1/100th of a second with a striking central hand allowing an easy reading: the TAG HEUER CARRERA MIKROGRAPH 1/100th Second Chronograph. Entirely designed, patented, developed and manufactured in La Chaux-De-Fonds, "TAG Heuer Haute Horlogerie" workshop also crafting the Monaco V4, this new major innovation from TAG Heuer confirms the company 150 years leadership in mastering ultimate accuracy, speed and high complexity mechanical movements.

With the TAG HEUER CARRERA MIKROGRAPH HEUER 1/100th Second Chronograph limited edition, TAG Heuer celebrates in style "150 years of mastering speed"

Master
    Despite what everyone says, my dislike of several of their models and the fact that it is hugely over-priced, I'd still love a blue McQueen Monaco.

Not sure about the newer models but I like my 6000.

Found another Tag that I like

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^
    That looks like the result of a mating between a Rolex sub with a Omega Seamaster

I probably fit the model of the person who bought a Tag on the basis that it was a 'proper watch' but was in fact a quartz diver and, by some of the measures here, nothing special. This was 10 years ago and I'm happy to admit that as a motor sport enthusiast it was the marketing that helped reel me in. Any regrets? Only that with small wrists and the fashion at the time, I bought a mid-size that's a bit out of step with the current tastes so it never gets worn anymore. It was however, a daily wearer for more than 10 years and looks in better shape than some of the other watches I have, my Sinn (which I love) proving less resistant to knocks and scratches by a long way. A 556 though so no special case treatment.

If it were bigger I'd still be wearing it, particularly any time i needed something tough as for me it's been hardy beyond the call of duty. It's also fair to say that it's proved to be a stepping stone to other things. It is to some extent the measure by which I rate my Seiko SK009 as tremendous value for money (maybe 65% of the quality for 25% of the price). It also broke the psychological barrier regarding spending money on the things you really like even when to others the price is unjustifiable.

I wouldn't have and enjoy the watches in my possession today were it not for that mid-size quartz Tag and for that I salute it.

I didn't use to like Tag but I have started getting interested in the Monaco, although a square watch was originally not appealing to me I have really started thinking about getting one....

James

The fact the V4 exists says more about Tag than anything. What other 'fashion' brand has done anything like it? $65k.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GoV6SDOMeI

Craftsman
    I really don't like bling style watches at all but if you look in Tag's ( and of course Breitling's who also get tarred with this brush) catalogue , there are current models that are not like that at all. At every pricepoint I think there's a better watch for me than a Tag, but they do have some really nice watches.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    How so?

TAG HEUER CARRERA MIKROGRAPH HEUER

THE FIRST EVER COLUMN WHEEL INTEGRATED MECHANICAL CHRONOGRAPH WITH 1/100th OF A SECOND DISPLAY BY A CENTRAL HAND

WORLD PREMIERE IN GENEVA

“MASTERING SPEED” EXHIBITION : BEST CARS, BEST WATCHES...

World First
    TAG Heuer introduces the first ever column wheel integrated mechanical chronograph displaying the 1/100th of a second with a striking central hand allowing an easy reading: the TAG HEUER CARRERA MIKROGRAPH 1/100th Second Chronograph. Entirely designed, patented, developed and manufactured in La Chaux-De-Fonds, "TAG Heuer Haute Horlogerie" workshop also crafting the Monaco V4, this new major innovation from TAG Heuer confirms the company 150 years leadership in mastering ultimate accuracy, speed and high complexity mechanical movements.

With the TAG HEUER CARRERA MIKROGRAPH HEUER 1/100th Second Chronograph limited edition, TAG Heuer celebrates in style "150 years of mastering speed"
    Sorry, I meant it didn't have Tag wrote on the face.

Quote Originally Posted by coldwarkid View Post
    At every pricepoint I think there's a better watch for me than a Tag, but they do have some really nice watches.
    If we're talking new prices I agree, but in the second hand market some Tag autos are really good value.

Is it just me that doesn't 'get' these "I don't 'get' Tag watches" threads?

Why do only Tag seem to attract threads like these?

You don't have to like them. If not just pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

I could start one about Breitling!

But I won't.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think they copied iwc Portuguese with their heritage 1887 watches

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

This is exactly my point.
    The fact that other models don't attract threads like this is part of my meaning.
    There are other models I don't like, but its just that I don't 'like' them, I wouldn't feel as though a thread was in order.
    However Tag is the only mid to high end watch that makes me think the way I do (and possibly you too, due to your reply).

There is nothing wrong with people liking them and they obviously do make some lovely watches as evident here, but it just something I can put my finger on.
    I guess its because they don't know which camp they belong, either cheap starter watches or high end watches.
    And its the first watch that people can name and get excited about as an affordable decent watch.

I much prefer their vintage Heuer pieces. Their high street watches of today seem a little bland to my eyes. Having said that, I wouldn't say no to one.

Grand Master
    And its the first watch that people can name and get excited about as an affordable decent watch.
    For the life of me I cannot figure out why a watch enthusiast, "WIS" or otherwise, could possibly feel threatened or put off by this. Is it because popular/populist watches feel "dirty" to them, in that they're handled by the great unwashed? Or that buying a TAG doesn't signal them as a man of superior horological taste because they're popular amongst people who don't share that interest but would like a nice watch? It can't be, because Seiko, Citizen, Rolex, Omega and all the rest of them would cop the same flak, since loads of different people buys those.

My first and only Tag - the Monaco. For now, also the only Tag that appeals to me.

^
    Nice. For me that's the only colour a Monaco should be.

And yes, it's down to snobbery. The Carrera is beautiful, the Microtimer is cool and, as I pointed out earlier, the V4 is a masterly piece of horology.

I've also got that Monaco and it gets more comments than anything else I wear

I also have an all black F1 quartz that is worn a lot

They must be doing something right. They survived the quartz years and they've been around , albeit with amalgamations, for a long time

The mikrograph is a tour de force

For me, Rolex is a "Meh" brand, but purely on aesthetics. They all look the same, just with different coloured dials and cases.

If you don't like TAG, then don't own, one

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Barryboy View Post
    I have two...

and this one

Both early models and both autos and both better than these photos suggest... LOL. I do not like the low end quartz models at all but I do like a lot of the autos and a Carrera might well be on the incoming list later this year.

Rob
    do you wear the Monza often? Or nowadays it is too small?
    I'd like to get one but I'm quite puzzled on this....

Quote Originally Posted by rik_68 View Post
    do you wear the Monza often? Or nowadays it is too small?
    I'd like to get one but I'm quite puzzled on this....
    I've a couple of Monza Calibre 36s and wear them regularly. I'm finding now that I prefer slightly smaller watches, maybe 40mm maximum. I'm going off my 42mm watches and my 43mm carrera is nice but almost uncomfortably big for me. Just my opinions of course, many other people prefer much larger.

Craftsman
    For the life of me I cannot figure out why a watch enthusiast, "WIS" or otherwise, could possibly feel threatened or put off by this. Is it because popular/populist watches feel "dirty" to them, in that they're handled by the great unwashed? Or that buying a TAG doesn't signal them as a man of superior horological taste because they're popular amongst people who don't share that interest but would like a nice watch? It can't be, because Seiko, Citizen, Rolex, Omega and all the rest of them would cop the same flak, since loads of different people buys those.
    Its got nothing to do with feeling threatened (not sure how there can be a threat really).
    It may simply be down to snobbery.
    As I said, I cant put my finger on it. It may be because they don't look as they their price tag would have you think they should look (talking about entry ones here), or that they look like they are from Ikea.
    The higher end ones are great looking, but the cheaper ones put me off the higher end ones for some reason.
    It may be because if I was paying top dollar I would want one that was more exclusive. Would you like a top of the range Ford or bottom of the range Ferrari?