closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 2824 manual winding causes rotor to spin, any tips?

2824 manual winding causes rotor to spin, any tips?

I have Marathon GSAR with ETA2824 and whenever I manually wind the watch the rotor weight spins as well and causes the whole watch to shake violently. Watch keeps time well and power reserve seems normal though. Obviously it wasn't always like this, first it worked normally. Obviously I now restrain from winding the watch manually because the resistance caused by the rotor weight, it feels like it could easily break something

Interestingly out of my three 2824 watches this is the 2nd one to do this. Other one wasn't so obvious though, the rotor just kind of caught on some times but not always. With this one however, it's constant when winding.

Anyone else experienced similar with 2824 or other movement?

Ps. Watch is old enough to warranty be void so it won't cover this. Also the watch was recently serviced so I highly doubt it's a lubrication problem.

Banned
    I used to see this happen when first servicing 7750 cal, it will probably be the lubrication in and on the reverser wheels in the automatic work have degraded and I would recommend they be cleaned and very lightly oiled.

It's not a big or costly job.

Have experienced this with a few 2824 (and one 7750) powered watches, fairly quick and cheap to get sorted IME.

Grand Master
    Sounds like a problem with the reverser. Oil gets on and becomes sticky, stopping it from working as it should. Over-oiling or using the wrong lubricant can cause this problem too.

An easy job for a watchie. The auto winding mechanism can be removed easily without stripping the watch down.

Paul

Master
    Yup, had this quite a lot on older 2846 movements. Takes very little time to fix. Remove and break down the autowinding bridge. Clean everything in either one-dip or ultrasonic, re-oil and put back together. Job done :)

Unhappy

Thanks for replies. Before making this thread I asked two local watchsmiths about fixing cost and both where 50-100 EUR.

My Oris F1 had that exact fault (same movement) and was fixed under warranty; it's been fine ever since.

Had the same problem with my Sinn 757 with 7750 movement. The reversing mechanism was replaced and cost £30 fitted.

Have the same problem on 3 of my Lemania 5100's. One is sold by the way. All were serviced before they got to me.
    I am told this is nothing much to worry about.

I noticed a strange behavior while winding these guys.
    When held vertically and wound, the vibration disappears.
    Only appears when wound in a horizontal position, like we normally wind our watches.
    Anyone observed this???

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foucault717 View Post
    Thanks for replies. Before making this thread I asked two local watchsmiths about fixing cost and both where 50-100 EUR.
    Sounds like labour costs are pretty pricey up your way. Seriously though, it's nothing more than a half hour / forty five minute job at absolute maximum.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by winster View Post
    Have the same problem on 3 of my Lemania 5100's. One is sold by the way. All were serviced before they got to me.

Only appears when wound in a horizontal position, like we normally wind our watches.
    Anyone observed this???
    That sounds like the reversing wheels are also gummed up or over oiled. When held vertically the weight of the rotor is enough to allow the mechanism to work against the friction of the oil, but in horizontally it doesn't.

Does it spin more when it's fully wound? I thought this was the movement bleeding power into the rotor as overwind protection, as just about any 2824 I've handled would do that when fully wound. Quite fun to do... hold the thing upside down and level, and wind slowly, it's like what the 7750 does on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by winster View Post

Anyone observed this???
    If I hold it crown towards the ceiling it it doesn't "grip" so easily and I can usually wind it few rounds before the rotor catches on. There's definitely a difference.

Does it spin more when it's fully wound? I thought this was the movement bleeding power into the rotor as overwind protection, as just about any 2824 I've handled would do that when fully wound. Quite fun to do... hold the thing upside down and level, and wind slowly, it's like what the 7750 does on its own.
    I think at the beginning it was like that, but now it spins constantly regardless of reserve.