closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: AP royal oak 15300, anyone care to educate me?

AP royal oak 15300, anyone care to educate me?

I'm seriously considering adding this as my next piece. Can anybody help me with background history, facts etc? I've always been into Rolex but maybe it's time to explore new boundaries...Any info is highly appreciated....

Last edited by Yeti; 9th April 2013 at 08:53.

Banned
    I considered the AP but the Diver and just missed out on one, what to look for buy as new as you can try to make sure it's in warranty if buying from an AD, service cost's for older Jumbo's can leave you with a large hole in your wallet, make sure it has provenance the 39mm has been replaced with a 41mm check them both out, this baby has been around since 1972 and i think there could be part's issues with older ones.

Any service cost on the AP is eye watering, and 2K is not unheard of.

Make sure the bezel has not been over polished and rounded, AP will only polish 3 times then replace, it can not be polished anymore as the screws pose a problem.

Other than that enjoy.
    Last edited by Fords; 9th April 2013 at 07:40.

Thanks fords, I have come to really appreciate this clean, classic model. I don't like the offshore range personally, but this I'm definitely lusting after...

I used to own the AP15300 back when they were first introduced several years ago, it's a lovely watch, in house movement of course visible through the saphire case back. It was only 39mm but seemed bigger on the wrist, I used to love the bracelet the way it shimmered in the light even though it was brushed. If I had the funds to buy one I would go with the newer 41mm version, 15400 though.

Blog Entries
    Have been looking at these recently and was mightily impressed with the build quality i handled one in Venice (the bracelet is unreal). Anyone know what decent condition 2nd hand 15300 or 15400 go for these days?

Master
    I recently bought a black dialled 15300 and am still somewhat amazed at how good it looks and perfect it feels. There's are many reasons why it is a classic piece and they are all evident when you handle and wear it.
    My grail watch, long lusted over and worn with love every chance I get (wouldn't dream of wearing it for work unless I am doing the hosting). I was a fan of bigger watches too, all the Rolex models I tried felt too small with the exception of the DSSD but I was never sure enough about that one. At 39mm it could put some off but once on the wrist the size is perfect and it is quite invisible to the moron in the street to boot!

As my wrist is smaller, I'm considering the 15450 but it's too new to find any pre-owned. The new generation RO with the display backs/in-house movements are a classic and fits in with any collection.

Craftsman
    I've always found the heavily textured dial on the AP to be distracting, and renders the actual time markers rather difficult to read, however the styling is certainly distinctive!

Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    I recently bought a black dialled 15300 and am still somewhat amazed at how good it looks and perfect it feels. There's are many reasons why it is a classic piece and they are all evident when you handle and wear it.
    My grail watch, long lusted over and worn with love every chance I get (wouldn't dream of wearing it for work unless I am doing the hosting). I was a fan of bigger watches too, all the Rolex models I tried felt too small with the exception of the DSSD but I was never sure enough about that one. At 39mm it could put some off but once on the wrist the size is perfect and it is quite invisible to the moron in the street to boot!
    What's the damage on one of these bad boys?

Grand Master
    One of the nicest watches i ever owned, but just too expensive for me to wear without worrying, and probably to own in reality. It really does look great, and on a leather strap it was fantastic, i much preferred it on leather during the summer, and it made it so much lighter, as the bracelet is solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    One of the nicest watches i ever owned, but just too expensive for me to wear without worrying, and probably to own in reality. It really does look great, and on a leather strap it was fantastic, i much preferred it on leather during the summer, and it made it so much lighter, as the bracelet is solid.
    Is the bracelet interchangeable from bracelet to leather or are these like Rolex where you buy a specific bracelet or strap version?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Have been looking at these recently and was mightily impressed with the build quality i handled one in Venice (the bracelet is unreal). Anyone know what decent condition 2nd hand 15300 or 15400 go for these days?
    From a private seller should be £6000-7000 depending on conditon.

A true icon

The AP Royal Oak is a true watch industry icon! The watch was a sensation when it was introduced 41 years ago. It rescued Audemars Piguet and set a new standard for steel sports watches. Yes, it was introduced as a sports watch!
    Yes, it's expensive , yes service cost is at level with other high class watches (the 15300 is not too bad though), yes you have to be a bit careful of the bezel.

But it's a wonderful high quality, classy watch! The dial is a work of art. Go' for it. I love my white dial version....

JK

Craftsman

I love mine...

True, I opted for the ref. 15202 "Jumbo", but like the 15300, its case measures a "large" 39mm (all Royal Oaks wear larger than their dimensions would imply thanks to their distinctive case design):

Here it is pictured with a friend's 15400:

For my money, the 15300 is far better proportioned than the 15400, but YMMV on this count. Irrespective of reference, however, all Royal Oaks are hand-finished to the same exacting standards; they have to be seen and handled in person to be truly appreciated. Some folks may balk at the aesthetic, but after trying one on, no one questions the price.

Regards,
    Adam

Master
    There are no half-links for the bracelet afaik. so make sure it fits you.

Yes but....

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    There are no half-links for the bracelet afaik. so make sure it fits you.
    There are 1.5 links for the RO bracelet so you can make it fit any wrist!

The links are not long enough to make a half link. Just look at the bracelet and you can see why.

Why create a problem where there is none?

JK
    Last edited by soegaard; 10th April 2013 at 14:14.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by soegaard View Post

The links are not wide enough to make a half link. Just look at the bracelet and you can see why.
    Yup, I have one for both my Jumbo and my Diver bracelets.

Regards,
    Adam

I prefer the 15300's proportions to the newer, larger model as well. The display back on the 15400 makes it too obvious that the movement wasn't designed for a case of that diameter. Great watch either way, though.

Make sure to try it on; there are differences which affect how the different versions wear that aren't obvious in photos.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by soegaard View Post

The links are not long enough to make a half link. Just look at the bracelet and you can see why.

Why create a problem where there is none?

JK
    Good info! A mate of mine sold his because he couldnt find a half-link... :) These are far out of my pricerange so I wouldnt know. IMHO though the RO looks slightly effeminate once on the wrist.

The RO is a classic. I agree with most of what has been said so far. The finish is superb, with an exquisite combination of polished/brushed surfaces, excellent bracelet, and fantastic dial - the closer you look, the more detail you see. It feels very well put-together, and the 60 hour in-house AP movement gives it impeccable horological credentials. It's virtually unchanged in the 40 years it's been in production, and there have only been subtle variations to the size, bracelet and dial indices, so essentially it's a living legend.

However, it's definitely not a "Sports Watch" in the conventional sense, despite it being conceived as such - even the regular (non-ultra-thin) models are quite thin, almost delicate, and it's got more of a sporty dress watch vibe to it. I wear mine regularly for work, going out in the evening etc, but I wouldn't say it's suited to situations where it might get knocked, as the brushed finish is very difficult to touch up.

The 15300 is a great size for small/medium wrists, and wears larger than the 39mm suggests. The newer 15400 verges on looking a bit much unless you've got big wrists IMO. (Note that the flagship 15202 is only done in classic 39mm size).

If you can find a minty, used one for £6-7k, then it's a hell of a watch for the money.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    I prefer the 15300's proportions to the newer, larger model as well. The display back on the 15400 makes it too obvious that the movement wasn't designed for a case of that diameter. Great watch either way, though.

Make sure to try it on; there are differences which affect how the different versions wear that aren't obvious in photos.
    I'd agree with the general consensus against the new, larger model. I saw one yesterday, and unless you're a seven foot tall professional wrestler, it seems a bit out of keeping with the original intentinion and proportions. Bigger is not always better!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Is the bracelet interchangeable from bracelet to leather or are these like Rolex where you buy a specific bracelet or strap version?
    You can change but you need to buy the end links as well for the leather strap, this can work out rather expensive, but cheaper than than buying a bracelet for a watch fitted with a leather strap.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    You can change but you need to buy the end links as well for the leather strap, this can work out rather expensive, but cheaper than than buying a bracelet for a watch fitted with a leather strap.
    Correct, AP Bands in the US is where I got mine from. I shall try and post some pics later.

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    [...]
    Quality info and photo; thanks for that. The macro of the dial really shows the amount of detail involved.

Hodinkee had a good article about how they're made that's worth reading. As someone who appreciates old machines, I really enjoyed seeing the pantograph that's used to produce the dial pattern.

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2012/1/...royal-oak.html

Fantastic photography!

After having seen robcats and craniotes pictures nobody can be in doubt about the quality of this famous watch. Just look at the attention to details.

Brilliant pictures!

JK

Master
    I tried on the 400 for the first time yesterday and to my surprise it fit my 7.2 inch wrist perfectly, I thought it would be too large as I had liked the previous 39mm size, but this was a better fit so Id say for wrists over 7 inches the 400 is probably a better bet.

The earlier 15300's had reliability issues but should have been fixed under warranty. If you see a NOS early one, or unused one, factor in repair costs. Some people complain the bracelet dug into their wrists & deemed the watch uncomfortable, so make sure it's for you by trying one on. The run out models had the new clasp. The same movement is fitted to the 15400 & looks out of sorts in the larger case. If you look at the 15400 dial you'll see an indice next to the date window. This was shoved in to compensate the smaller movement. The movement can take some abuse as been proven by some write up's but all AP's do seem to require servicing every five years.

But overall a desirable watch thats easy to sell on the second hand market if you get bored & go back to Rolex. I think the dial has better balance than a Nautilus 5711 due the the fact the hands match the indices whereas the Patek doesn't.

Here's Harry Tan's wonderful write up of the 15300 on release. Scroll down for the montage.

http://www.ntu.edu.sg/home/aharry/temp/APRO15300/

There's a wealth of knowledge on the net.

Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post
    I tried on the 400 for the first time yesterday and to my surprise it fit my 7.2 inch wrist perfectly, I thought it would be too large as I had liked the previous 39mm size, but this was a better fit so Id say for wrists over 7 inches the 400 is probably a better bet.
    I think it depends on the profile of your wrist, but it's probably fair to say that the 15400 is ok on 7"+ wrists. I've seen a few pics (on other forums) of it looking comically large on smaller wrists though, as the thin bezel makes for a large dial - some people just can't bring themselves to buy the 37mm 15450 instead!

Journeyman
    I chose the 15400 because of several things, size being one.
    Here is a 15400 on a 7.7 inch wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by craniotes View Post
    True, I opted for the ref. 15202 "Jumbo", but like the 15300, its case measures a "large" 39mm (all Royal Oaks wear larger than their dimensions would imply thanks to their distinctive case design):

Here it is pictured with a friend's 15400:

For my money, the 15300 is far better proportioned than the 15400, but YMMV on this count. Irrespective of reference, however, all Royal Oaks are hand-finished to the same exacting standards; they have to be seen and handled in person to be truly appreciated. Some folks may balk at the aesthetic, but after trying one on, no one questions the price.

Regards,
    Adam
    Holy style fart! An AP pictured with LEATHER GLOVES AND RAY-BANS!!!
    If you can get over that nearly-unforgivable style crime then the AP still manages to shine through.

Blog Entries
    Popped into WoS on Old Bond St earlier today during my lunch break to have a look at the RO. I'm normally one for a larger watch but I have to agree with others the 15300 is perfectly proportioned and does wear alot bigger than the dimensions suggest. The 15400 felt awkward and looks massive on the wrist. 15300 is definitely high on my list now.

Also, they had no s/s 15400's in stock for me to try so I tried the all gold one instead. Wow does that weigh something!! I'd be walking around in circles if I was wearing that on my travels.

Blog Entries
    Question for those on the know, the 15300 I tried today had a solid caseback but I've seen others with display backs. Is there any reason why some have and others don't have display backs?

Craftsman
    Popped into WoS on Old Bond St earlier today during my lunch break to have a look at the RO. I'm normally one for a larger watch but I have to agree with others the 15300 is perfectly proportioned and does wear alot bigger than the dimensions suggest. The 15400 felt awkward and looks massive on the wrist. 15300 is definitely high on my list now.

Also, they had no s/s 15400's in stock for me to try so I tried the all gold one instead. Wow does that weigh something!! I'd be walking around in circles if I was wearing that on my travels.
    i agree buddy. the 15400 doesnt do it for me either. i think the clean look is better on the smaller 15300.

Question for those on the know, the 15300 I tried today had a solid caseback but I've seen others with display backs. Is there any reason why some have and others don't have display backs?
    I don't think that was a 15300. Probably a 36mm model.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    If you can get over that nearly-unforgivable style crime then the AP still manages to shine through.
    No one ever accused me of having style...

Regards,
    Adam

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    I don't think that was a 15300. Probably a 36mm model.
    It was definitely the 39mm - unless the shop assistant disn't know what he was talking about, and what are the chances of that happening....?

It was definitely the 39mm - unless the shop assistant disn't know what he was talking about, and what are the chances of that happening....?
    Saw this & thought of this thread:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Oak-18kt-gold

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    What's the problem with leather gloves and Ray Bans?

Journeyman
    Love mine, it's the watch I wear most often.

Thread resurrection!

Am I correct in thinking the 15202 is blue dial only? But available at normal ADs. Not a boutique only piece?

One AD told me the above. But I wanted to double check. He also reckons they only get two 15202 a year. Seems very low. But used prIces from a quick Google don't appear to be anywhere near list price which is a staggering £18300. Ever so slightly higher than a 5711!

Journeyman
    Hi.

15202 (aka Royal Oak Extra Thin) in steel is currently blue dial only. https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/wa....OO.1240ST.01/

Also available in rose and yellow gold though

was available in more dial colours https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/wa...-by=collection

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    [...]One AD told me the above. But I wanted to double check. He also reckons they only get two 15202 a year. Seems very low. But used prIces from a quick Google don't appear to be anywhere near list price which is a staggering £18300. Ever so slightly higher than a 5711!
    Well, it's also a better watch.

The production numbers are low, though, and the AP boutiques certainly get more than normal dealers do.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Well, it's also a better watch.

If you prefer the look, feel, on the wrist, and the brand, then yes it's a better watch - if not there are a whole host of other options.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    Thread resurrection!

Am I correct in thinking the 15202 is blue dial only? But available at normal ADs. Not a boutique only piece?

One AD told me the above. But I wanted to double check. He also reckons they only get two 15202 a year. Seems very low. But used prIces from a quick Google don't appear to be anywhere near list price which is a staggering £18300. Ever so slightly higher than a 5711!
    The latest iteration in blue with the blue date and AP at six, does hold its price pretty well. Think you'll find most pieces in the UK being sold near RRP for used and above for new (see watchfinder)

Master
    I know of a 15202 for sale for around £10k if you're interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    I know of a 15202 for sale for around £10k if you're interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If it's the latest version (i.e., the 40th anniversary edition) then I'm keen at that price!

I've seen the 15202 and it looks great, to me the best Royal Oak. Too bad the second hand prices aren't any better than RRP so it remains out of budget.