closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: wireless video distribution

wireless video distribution

Anyone here used wireless to distribute video including HD? I need to locate a TV remotely from my set top box and dont know if the technology exists yet which allows me to route the output from the STB wirelessly to the HDMI connector of my TV..any ideas?
    cheers Keith

Hi Keith,

I got this set up just before Xmas -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GIGAVIEW-821...words=gigaview

I had to send it back though, my house is quite long and the signal wouldn't reach the bedroom sadly. I did test it though and when it would pick up a signal it worked well, but that was only about 5 metres away.

This technology has a long way to go, and is very costly at the moment, so I stuck with my old fashioned RF cable out of the back of the Sky box

If you really need HD you can send it round your house using the netplugs from what I have read, but again it's hit and miss and not something I've looked in to much.

Hope that helps!

thanks, thats quite interesting and may well be that i wouldnt have the same issues that you had, good tip
    cheers Keith

These are very good, and cheap.

No HD or stereo though.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/mini-5.8ghz-video-sender-264419

Master
    Hello there. Sorry to resurrect this, but I guess it would be easier than posting a new one.
    I would like to hang my telly on the wall with power points just behind it but I need to stream everything wirelessly, 3 little ones under 5...
    I have done some research on the web but I'd like some first hand experience.
    Only looking to stream HD from a locked cabinet to telly 6 meters away.
    Thank you in advance.

Master
    If its HDMI out from something to HDMI in on your tellybox I've one of these sat in a box doing nothing http://www.amazon.co.uk/Optoma-WHD20.../dp/B00BPXILY8

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post
    If its HDMI out from something to HDMI in on your tellybox I've one of these sat in a box doing nothing http://www.amazon.co.uk/Optoma-WHD20.../dp/B00BPXILY8
    Have you tried it? Does it work with an AV receiver? My idea would be to get an AV receiver to plug sky, PlayStation, chrome cast, etc, and then use the AV hdmi output into a wireless box to the telly. Have you tried something similar? And thanks for the prompt reply :-)

Craftsman
    The Peerless HD Flow is the most reliable solution of the bunch, but even that can have very limited range, and is subject to interference and video breakup. http://www.hdflow.com/

There are many, very good solutions that work over a single UTP cable, and a few that work over a single coax. Is there any chance that a cable could be retrofitted?

Plug the Chromecast in directly.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
    The Peerless HD Flow is the most reliable solution of the bunch, but even that can have very limited range, and is subject to interference and video breakup. http://www.hdflow.com/

There are many, very good solutions that work over a single UTP cable, and a few that work over a single coax. Is there any chance that a cable could be retrofitted?

Plug the Chromecast in directly.
    Seems funny to me with have all this streaming over wifi that works reliably (smart TV, chromecast, Apple TV etc) but wireless HDMI is still very patchy.

Master
    The Optoma kit worked flawlessly - I used it to mount a projector before the cabling was installed and it handled anything I threw at it.
    This was 6m away line of sight from a receiver fed by many HDMI sources.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaunty View Post
    Seems funny to me with have all this streaming over wifi that works reliably (smart TV, chromecast, Apple TV etc) but wireless HDMI is still very patchy.
    Its actually pretty simple. WiFi was built for packetized data. You can receive the packets in any order, they are numbered and reassembled back in their original order after being received. There are even standards for requesting packets that are "lost" and for what to do when a "lost" packet cannot be found. Video data sent over WiFi is compressed into a lighter density, and then chopped up into these tiny packets before being sent. The device on the receive side is tasked with reassembling them.

HDMI was built for a continuous stream of data, with a very precise time code that allows synchronization. It is designed to stop if the data stream or the time code is corrupted.

Master
    I need to publicly thank Coot for letting me try and then buy, for a fraction of retail price, his wireless hdmi kit. Worked flawlessly and I'm over the moon with it.
    Thank you mate and thank you to the forum also.