closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microsoft Vista

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeney

Obviously following your example it would be entirely possible to upgrade older Macs using obsolete second hand items and in many cases I've done exactly that. It differs slightly from PC in that motherboards can't be upgraded/swapped out in the same way as generic PCs.
    You make good points.

An aside. But, I wasn't really equating non-cutting edge, used bits, and obsolete bits (more rhetoric?). E.g., I use SCSI 160, 10k rpm drives. While no longer cutting edge, they certainly aren't obsolete.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master
    what do you do with all this computer hardware, Bob, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm not sure what running new'ish OS's on old computers proves. I can run XP on a 9 year old PC (200MHz Pentium with 128M RAM). It runs, but not exactly quickly! I'm sure that OSX on a similar vintage Mac wouldn't exactly be quick either. :?

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeney

Obviously following your example it would be entirely possible to upgrade older Macs using obsolete second hand items and in many cases I've done exactly that. It differs slightly from PC in that motherboards can't be upgraded/swapped out in the same way as generic PCs.
    You make good points.

An aside. But, I wasn't really equating non-cutting edge, used bits, and obsolete bits (more rhetoric?). E.g., I use SCSI 160, 10k rpm drives. While no longer cutting edge, they certainly aren't obsolete.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    I agree totally. People get too hung up on the latest, fastest, biggest. I like to be slightly technologically unhip. It's when it fits into how YOU work rather than the other way round as far as I'm concerned. If I was a Windows user, I'd be adopting a wait-and-see attitude to Vista as indeed I did with OSX.

I was using the term obsolete to refer to product that had been 'superceded'. Which doesn't necessarily mean better, usually cheaper to manufacture. No rhetoric intended.

Data doesn't care if it's being saved onto SCSI, IDE or SATA.

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by Si
    what do you do with all this computer hardware, Bob, if you don't mind me asking?
    Over the last few years I've done the following.

1. Run a website for myself (always).
    2. Develop and keep an instance of a website for the faculty.
    3. Develop and keep an instance of a website for the college.
    4. Security for the college's networks.
    5. Traffic analysis for the college's networks.

I did these on the side. They've now got real professionals for most of it, and I basically do my own website, document prep., image manipulation, etc. I don't do any heavy data analysis, so speedy CPU cycles aren't crucial.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock
    I'm not sure what running new'ish OS's on old computers proves. I can run XP on a 9 year old PC (200MHz Pentium with 128M RAM). It runs, but not exactly quickly! I'm sure that OSX on a similar vintage Mac wouldn't exactly be quick either. :?
    I was merely asked if you could run OSX on a six year old Apple laptop. I made no claims for it other than that.

The Mac in question is quick enough for what I use it for and when it's not it gets replaced. Obviously no computer of that vintage will keep up with their cheaper younger cousins.

Our local pooter shop is selling Vista Home Premium OEM for Ģ74 a time.

Quote Originally Posted by mr1973
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So true!

People, get a Mac with bootcamp and most of your sorrows will be gone within minutes ;-)
    Couldnt agree more. Two Macīs at home, no problems. One PC at work... :evil:

Have a problem paying for an 'upgrade' - if indeed Vista is an upgrade - even more so now I walked past a high street window that had a laptop with Vista for Ģ499....

As regards Apple - a friend has had similar experience to those posted here - uncrashable, virus free, better seamless user interface, blah, blah, blah. Hardrive crapped out on him and he is in trouble - still vunerable to usual computer malaise(s).

Rgds

Chris
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK
    Have a problem paying for an 'upgrade' - if indeed Vista is an upgrade - even more so now I walked past a high street window that had a laptop with Vista for Ģ499....

As regards Apple - a friend has had similar experience to those posted here - uncrashable, virus free, better seamless user interface, blah, blah, blah. Hardrive crapped out on him and he is in trouble - still vunerable to usual computer malaise(s).

Rgds

Chris
    Indeed Chris - Even a 99.999% reliability rate in computer components means that some poor unfortunates still get it in the neck. I religiously back up everything even though - touch wood - I haven't needed to (yet!).

I was reading an interesting article in The Guardian yesterday where the writer claimed that 85% of computers in the UK would be unable to run the full Vista Premium version with all bells and whistles - including his six month old laptop. I'd take that with a hefty pinch of salt, but there may be some degree of truth in it.

I can only conclude that many people in the UK will consider it better to throw their old PC away and get a new PC with Vista already loaded rather than to pay the scandalous premium they're being charged over their American cousins to upgrade.

Journeyman
    Very interesting thread to follow...
    No one has mentioned the differences of what it actually feels like to use a Mac or PC.
    I've been left with our Dell PC, after the kids both got Imacs, and my son also has a second hand Apple G4 powerbook for composing and college work.

The imacs immediatley hit you with the detail you can see on screen..they are hi definition displays, and although I have a good flat screen monitor on the PC ...it doesn't compare.
    The other thing is the great ' feel' in using mac software...far more intuitive. And a delight to explore. They also look and behave so brilliantly.

On top of that..loads of the software is interchangable. You can drag and drop garage band tracks into itunes...into iphoto..into idvd..etc
    iphoto pictures can br dragged and dropped into any of the other programmes etc etc.
    I haven't got aperture yet (Apples photo software)..but if its anything like iphoto, it'll be terrific to use.

If apple ever get their imac account cheap enough, and good enough I would invest in that...but they haven't and doesn't look likely..so I won't be.

So...I guess Vista has been developed to address these issues..but I'd rather have a cheap mac mini as my next move than invest in a windows based machine, purely on the fun factor.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveW
    I haven't got aperture yet (Apples photo software)..but if its anything like iphoto, it'll be terrific to use.
    Look into it carefully before you do Steve, it's not really photo editing software, though there are some basic editing tools. It's more for photo processing / cataloging...at least that's how I see it.

It is terrific to use though.....:wink:

:)

Alan

Very interesting thread to follow...
    No one has mentioned the differences of what it actually feels like to use a Mac or PC.
    I've been left with our Dell PC, after the kids both got Imacs, and my son also has a second hand Apple G4 powerbook for composing and college work.

The imacs immediatley hit you with the detail you can see on screen..they are hi definition displays, and although I have a good flat screen monitor on the PC ...it doesn't compare.
    The other thing is the great ' feel' in using mac software...far more intuitive. And a delight to explore. They also look and behave so brilliantly.

On top of that..loads of the software is interchangable. You can drag and drop garage band tracks into itunes...into iphoto..into idvd..etc
    iphoto pictures can br dragged and dropped into any of the other programmes etc etc.

If apple ever get their imac account cheap enough, and good enough I would invest in that...but they haven't and doesn't look likely..so I won't be.

So...I guess Vista has been developed to address these issues..but I'd rather have a cheap mac mini as my next move than invest in a windows based machine, purely on the fun factor.
    Very interesting post Steve, you've summed up the best features of the Mac OS very well. It's the simplicity and elegance and sheer common-sense that makes it a joy to use. Hopefully PC users can begin to experience some of that with Vista. :wink:

I agree re. the .mac account, though. If it was about half the cost I'd get one.

Quote Originally Posted by cricketer
    Look into it carefully before you do Steve, it's not really photo editing software, though there are some basic editing tools. It's more for photo processing / cataloging...at least that's how I see it.

It is terrific to use though.....:wink:
    Isnīt it much like Rawshooter or Bibble? Havenīt tried it out yet, but thatīs what Iīve thought it would be...
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Journeyman
    Alan

Would I be better looking at photoshop for mac then, rather than aperture?
    To be honest though...I don't use editing much, unless there is a real problem with a picture.

Oh and another great thing about iphoto... :lol: is where you can have a picture in full screen mode, then drag the cursor down to the bottom of the screen where the menu will pop up, and you can click to the next full screen pic or use the editing function s in full screen. Drag the cursor to the top of the screen and down drops your library in thunmbnail form acros the top of the screen

Awesome. :D

Journeyman

Re: Microsoft Vista

Quote Originally Posted by VA
    So, with M$'s new operating system becoming available today, hands up who is thinking of upgrading?

VA
    My recommended upgrade is to a Mac. :) :D :P

Master

Re: Microsoft Vista

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Essel
    Quote Originally Posted by VA
    So, with M$'s new operating system becoming available today, hands up who is thinking of upgrading?

VA
    My recommended upgrade is to a Mac. :) :D :P
    Definitely considering it. But I' m still being held back by the fact that I have been a PC user since I can remember (actually my first computer was a Sinclair ZX Spectrum+), so there is always the "fear" of things not working as expected.

And since Macs are usually more expensive compared with their counterparts, although Vista might change this, I' m afraid that I' ll end up spending a considerable amount of money on something that won't work for me. Do you know of any "Pass Around Mac" schemes?

In any case, this won't come into effect for at least a few more months if not more. I' ll wait for the full roll of Vista to see how it fairs up and then decide which way to go.

Still, tempted though :)

VA

Master
    Alan

Oh and another great thing about iphoto... :lol: is where you can have a picture in full screen mode, then drag the cursor down to the bottom of the screen where the menu will pop up, and you can click to the next full screen pic or use the editing function s in full screen. Drag the cursor to the top of the screen and down drops your library in thunmbnail form acros the top of the screen

Awesome. :D
    Faststone photoviewer for Windows does all that and more. Cursor to the top: thumbnails. Bottom: general menu. Left: editing functions. Right: exif data and added remarks on the pic. And it's free.
    When people are comparing Macs with PC's they are actually comparing Apple software (OS and apps) with Microsoft OS and apps. And, to be honest, Windows is a fair OS (it does work with 95% or more of hard- and software out there), but most MS applications are just crap. Jjust a few days ago I read a review on the newest MS Word (running on a Vista machine by a reviewer who 'does silly things so the readers don't need to'). He inserted a web link into a paragraph of text, and Word decided to completely reformat the paragraph, adding indents, changing the border and what not. He could only reformat it by importing a clean standard document style from an older version. Powerpoint and Word destroy the quality of pictures that are inserted. Excel always tries to print lots of blanc pages full of empty spreadsheet cells. Outlook is the world's no 1 target for viruses, and wide open to them. Internet Explorer comes a close second. Added stuff that comes with most Windows PCs, such as Norton AV, is bloatware that slows down your PC and causes more hassle than it prevents. Etc.
    The solution to most Windows woes is not to use MS applications. In its most extreme form, this can mean using a Mac or a Linux box (and even then: Word for the Mac is Microsoft; there is no escape). Throw out Norton. Switch off the Windows firewall (crap), use ZoneAlarm instead. Use another mail program, another web browser and different office software. It's all out there, often for free of nearly so, or cheaper than MS stuff (OpenOffice is free; WordPerfect Office is cheaper than MS Office, and WP still is a far better wordprocessor, for instance).

Journeyman
    Thanks Fschwep...very informative. Almost without thinking about it I've been using alternate software on my pc (Firefox behaves So well!!)
    Going to have to check out Fatsone now though...cheers

Journeyman
    Fschwep..Hey, many thanks. That really is cool software...love it.

Now..can I drag and drop picture files into other microsoft programmes ? :wink: