closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The point of the Watchfinder "Make an Offer" promotion.

The point of the Watchfinder "Make an Offer" promotion.

So, I'm in the market for a SS Rolex and have been searching the internet for a couple of weeks now. Watchfinder seem have got one piece that I'm interested in. Seeing as though they have a "Make an Offer" promotion on, I decide to make a cheeky bid representing a 15% discount on the ticket price. Given that the watch is over £5k I thought it not unreasonable a starting point for negotiations.

Three days have passed and nada, nothing other than a few spam promotional emails showing what they have recently got into stock.

Surely in this day and age, someone could respond even if it's to say no to the offer or to make a counter offer? Am I asking too much?

I've bought of them on their make an offer promotion. Maybe they didn't think your offer was worth getting back to you.
    It's just a matter of time...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like very bad form to me. If someone offers within 15% of your asking price, they deserve at least a reply. Especially if offers are being invited.

I don't class my offer as so derisory so as not to warrant a response even if its a no thanks.

Surely the whole aim of their little promotion is to raise interest in their stock and drum up interest. I'm interested. I've got money to spend but not with them if they can't even be bothered responding.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    I don't class my offer as so derisory so as not to warrant a response even if its a no thanks.

Surely the whole aim of their little promotion is to raise interest in their stock and drum up interest. I'm interested. I've got money to spend but not with them if they can't even be bothered responding.
    I agree with your take - I am only surmising why they may not have replied.
    It's just a matter of time...

I tried the same thing and got an email back the next day. As much as it shouldn't be necessary perhaps try sending a chaser if you are still interested?

Email is a really bad medium for communication, it's a lazy fire and forget mechanism. If you really want to make a serious enquiry then give them a call, make the offer a negotiate from there, you want the watch don't you ?

Quote Originally Posted by christech81 View Post
    Email is a really bad medium for communication, it's a lazy fire and forget mechanism. If you really want to make a serious enquiry then give them a call, make the offer a negotiate from there, you want the watch don't you ?
    Yes 100% this

I would give them a call or even try there live chat. Not sure how much desision making the chat operator can make but maybe worth a go

Craftsman
    As I understand it Watchfinder offer 2 types of sale - watches they have bought or taken in part exchange and are listing themselves and watches they are selling on commission for an individual. For a commission sale the seller provides a listing price and a lowest acceptable price in case Watchfinder can't contact them when an offer is made and can proceed with the deal on the seller's behalf. I'm guessing that the offer you made was below this automatic level so they would need to contact the seller to gain their agreement but still very poor form not to respond or let you know what is going on (and not great for the seller either!).

Grand Master
    I agree with the previous comments; pick the phone up and talk to them. e-mail's fine for some things and not for others; if the OP phones them they've got to respond.

This seems obvious to me, but thesedays people rely far too much on texts and e-mails which are both incomplete forms of communication.

Be assertive and drive the negotiation, don`t sit back and wait for a response.

Paul

I emailed them today with an offer and had a call back in under half an hour with a counter offer which was only slightly higher. This was on a SS Rolex. PM me if you want more details

Made an offer twice on a 1year old IWC, no response to either offer. Twats. They shouldn't offer the facility if they are not going to honour it. Got a brand new one elsewhere for £100 more than my offer. Their loss.

Well I got a promotional email from them recently inviting me to trade one of my Rolex in for a Tag Aquaracer?!?!

Anyway I played dumb and replied advising I had an old 16610LN and queried whether they would be able to consider this as a straight trade against a £1500 Aquaracer they had in stock. Well blow me, I've had calls and emails before 10am on two consecutive days wanting to discuss a possible deal. At least it shows they CAN respond to emails within a reasonable time frame if it suits them.

Sounds a bit like SC.

Quote Originally Posted by christech81 View Post
    As a customer, if a business provides an email address then I expect them to respond to legitimate messages sent by email. If they are not prepared to do so (and remember that, unlike a phone call or physical customer, they can choose when is a convenient time for them to respond), then I will take my business elsewhere. If I have cash in my little paw, there is no shortage of other people who will be willing to sell me a Rolex watch.

Any business owner who goes home in the evening leaving even one legitimate sales enquiry unanswered deserves to have their business fail.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    As a customer, if a business provides an email address then I expect them to respond to legitimate messages sent by email. If they are not prepared to do so (and remember that, unlike a phone call or physical customer, they can choose when is a convenient time for them to respond), then I will take my business elsewhere. If I have cash in my little paw, there is no shortage of other people who will be willing to sell me a Rolex watch.

Any business owner who goes home in the evening leaving even one legitimate sales enquiry unanswered deserves to have their business fail.
    Gotta agree with this. Or they should at least mention on their site 'we take up to xx hours to reply to offers because xx'.

If they spend thousands and thousands on a pretty watch store and supposedly sold £83m worth of watches, I'm sure they can hire some £10 an hour student to send out basic replies within a few hours. With these kind of watches you should get treated at least as good as potential customers get treated in a physical store stocking similar watches.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    So, I'm in the market for a SS Rolex and have been searching the internet for a couple of weeks now. Watchfinder seem have got one piece that I'm interested in. Seeing as though they have a "Make an Offer" promotion on, I decide to make a cheeky bid representing a 15% discount on the ticket price. Given that the watch is over £5k I thought it not unreasonable a starting point for negotiations.

Three days have passed and nada, nothing other than a few spam promotional emails showing what they have recently got into stock.

Surely in this day and age, someone could respond even if it's to say no to the offer or to make a counter offer? Am I asking too much?
    You arent in the market for a ceramic Rolex submariner date are you?

Have to say this wasn't my experience with them, put in an offer with 20% knocked off, got a call back within the hour and ended up talking it to 15%. If you're serious about it definitely give them a call they're very helpful (as you'd expect) and more than willing to make a deal.

Undoubtedly the experience has been soured for you but if you are still interested you don't have anything to loose!

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    You arent in the market for a ceramic Rolex submariner date are you?
    I was in the market for a DSSD and spent a day traveling down to London with a view to buying one. If I had a response from them, I would have dropped in but alas, Watch Club got my money instead. Since then, I've also bought a 116610LV and a 16610 as well so they lost out on three potential sales.

Master
    Never had a problem using the live chat facility. The make an offer promotion is a bit of a red herring as they always entertain offers. Bought 3 watches from them, no hassle, excellent service, each watch in fabulous condition. At least 30 % off the advertised price too.

This.

Not sure what's going on with them at the moment. I've had a couple off them in the past and akways found they answered mails pretty quickly. I contacted them early last week via live chat talking about commission sale/px, got half a reply (px value) and I'm still waiting on the details of a commission sale, poor customer service, especially as I'm a past customer with "membership".

yes at least they should have the courtesy to reply. rude of them not to.

Well said that man. There's the answer to the global ecomomic downturn.... right there.

Seems a little harsh, as I said and was quoted in this reply; email is fire and forget. There is no guarantee the email will be delivered in a timely fashion, in the fact there is no guarantee the email will be delivered at all (spam filters, incorrect addresses, virus/attachment checks, drop outs, unexpected network failures, system restores ... I could go on).

Granted in normal circumstances we expect emails to be delivered, because of the fabulous world we live in emails are normally in the recipients mailbox in a very short time so the next step is the human element of reading and doing any actions; read recipients don't mean anything either !

I've emailed companies before and the one's that reply promptly are the ones I usually do business with but if if I were close to a purchase and it was a case of negotiating the right price I'd just phone and not sit in by my computer waiting for an email.

Seems it must depend on who answers the phone !

I offered 10% less than their asking price for their Rolex Explorer 42mm and was told NO !! ....... £100 off was the maximum :-(

Master
    Blog Entries
    Emailing companies online is a funny thing. A hell of a lot of the time you rarely get a reply, I really don't understand this at all to be honest. Most of my business is done via email and it takes me a min to fire off replies.

If people can't be bothered replying via email I generally avoid them anyhow.

I purchased a watch today via a dealer I had not dealt with for 18 months. I sent a quick email this morning at 9am, had a prompt reply within the hour and we closed the deal a few hours later. All very simple really and not rocket science.