closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Trading up...new purchase

Trading up...new purchase

I've owned a 14060M for the best part of a year now and loved it to bits but the time had come for something with a bit more presence. Ideally, I wanted something with a date but keeping to the brand, I didn't like the cyclops on the outgoing Sub date. However, thanks to the countless SD threads on here and elsewhere, I quickly fell in love with the 16600.

Literally, a BNIB example fell into my lap last week and I love it :)

I've never been one for photography so excuse the rough and ready phone pic.
    Last edited by drhexagon; 25th March 2013 at 19:32.

Nice watch, you can't go wrong with a Sea Dweller. The ultimate any occasion watch!!!

Journeyman
    Lovely looking watch that I one day also hope to enjoy.

Blog Entries

Cool

Wonder how many BNIB Sea Dwellers are still out there!

Good catch, the 16600 is my only remaining watch and worn daily for almost 2 years.

Blog Entries

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by drhexagon View Post
    I've owned a 14060M for the best part of a year now and loved it to bits but the time had come for something with a bit more presence. Ideally, I wanted something with a date but keeping to the brand, I didn't like the cyclops on the outgoing Sub date. However, thanks to the countless SD threads on here and elsewhere, I quickly fell in love with the 16600.

Literally, a BNIB example fell into my lap last week and I love it :)

I've never been one for photography so excuse the rough and ready phone pic.
    Your a brave man to peel the stickers off!!

Re: Trading up...new purchase

Watches are for wearing, not for sitting in safes! :D

Journeyman
    Mine's a few years old now, and has been worn pretty much constantly (until the new Panerai arrived 2 weeks ago).

It's got the odd 'dink' and 'scrape' but is the one I'd like to think "will be a keeper".

Congrats, and enjoy...

Enjoy it mate

Great choice
    My all time fave watch

Al

Congrats! Mine is by far my favorite.

Journeyman
    That's a beauty. Well done, indeed! It looks the perfect fit on your wrist as well.

Like to have the date, but I like it so much better without the cyclops!

Cheers
    Carl

Journeyman
    One of my top 5 watches , I hope to have the joy of wearing one some day :-) Enjoy

My favourite watch for sometime - not sure how many LNIB examples there are but I have two of them ;) Which I will never sell, although my son might lol.

Best mix of modern and classic in a watch for me, and it is Rolex at its best.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    My favourite watch for sometime - not sure how many LNIB examples there are but I have two of them ;) Which I will never sell, although my son might lol.

Best mix of modern and classic in a watch for me, and it is Rolex at its best.
    My sentiments exactly ,just a great watch and my first ever Rolex and I can honestly say a keeper if ever there was one .

My concern is that the PO may not get worn as much but its early right now.

Master
    Like to have the date, but I like it so much better without the cyclops!

The only Rolex i would now buy.

Master
    My heart is often torn between the 16600 and (plexiglass) 5513. The SD imparts an understated smugness to owners few other watches impart.

The 16600 stands on its own as one of the most technically accomplished Rolexes, but also retaining the features and favoured aesthetics as the definitive sports Rolex. As an analogy to cars, the 16600 is the 911 Turbo amongst 911s.

In comparison, the 5513 is probably the definitive vintage sports Rolex. It exudes warmth, character, and is the prototypical classic Rolex. It is a 1972 2.4S or 3.2 Carrera amongst 911s.

The 16600 SD is surely the next [modern era] Rolex classic after the 5513, and I suspect their values will continue to gain strength.

5513, 16600, and younger 14060m.

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    My heart is often torn between the 16600 and (plexiglass) 5513. The SD imparts an understated smugness to owners few other watches impart.

The 16600 stands on its own as one of the most technically accomplished Rolexes, but also retaining the features and favoured aesthetics as the definitive sports Rolex. As an analogy to cars, the 16600 is the 911 Turbo amongst 911s.

In comparison, the 5513 is probably the definitive vintage sports Rolex. It exudes warmth, character, and is the prototypical classic Rolex. It is a 1972 2.4S or 3.2 Carrera amongst 911s.

The 16600 SD is surely the next [modern era] Rolex classic after the 5513, and I suspect their values will continue to gain strength.

5513, 16600, and younger 14060m.
    A stunning trio you've got there, Adrien. I hope they all get worn at some point.

Master
    A stunning trio you've got there, Adrien. I hope they all get worn at some point.
    Thanks Amir, and yes the 5513 and 16600 do get worn in regular weekly rotation. The 14060m is currently in storage, however, and may one day get worn by my son as his birth year Rolex... funnily enough, he came up to me the other day and asked if I could get him a 'nice' watch when he graduates! I casually grunted that he needed to study and work hard to afford whatever luxuries he wanted in life...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Thanks Amir, and yes the 5513 and 16600 do get worn in regular weekly rotation. The 14060m is currently in storage, however, and may one day get worn by my son as his birth year Rolex... funnily enough, he came up to me the other day and asked if I could get him a 'nice' watch when he graduates! I casually grunted that he needed to study and work hard to afford whatever luxuries he wanted in life...
    Let's hope he does not read this forum otherwise the cat is out of the bag!

Stunning watch how much bigger does it wear compared to the Sub?

Its obviously taller than the sub but its not such an issue to be obtrusive. Case size is spot on at 40mm. Not too different at all but just different enough.

Watches are for wearing, not for sitting in safes! :D
    +1, totally agree and feel guilty if I have not worn mine in rotation, though may stick to one if the mood takes me.

This is what happens when rolex get it right.
    This is what they do best.
    This is why offerings like the skydweller make me cringe.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    This is what happens when rolex get it right.
    This is what they do best.
    This is why offerings like the skydweller make me cringe.
    Couldn't agree more. The SD is the only Rolex I have ever had a yearning for, but I don't know enough about the variations to say which particular one.