closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering moving over to quartz! Ideas please?

Considering moving over to quartz! Ideas please?

I have a hardly worn and mint Omega SMP Ceramic auto (41mm in black).
    It is hardly worn on totally mint running well within COSC.
    However for various reasons I am considering ending my long standing relationship with mechanical watches in favour of quartz.
    I just want watches I can just set and forget and rotate without worrying about winding or re setting etc.

anyway I am not seeking advice on whether this is a good or bad move, just on what my options may be in an area I am not very clued up on?
    I still want a higher end watch for best etc and would still like a bit of credibility from a good known brand.
    I have considered Omega SMP quartz as well as Breitling but would also consider digitals (although not perhaps as my "best" watch).

I may even consider a slightly older auto diver I.e PO 42 if it left me enough for a nice quartz?

anyway as you can see I am not really sure so open to ideas?

cheers.

Neil

The problem with SMP quartz is that they now fetch £1000 on SC. In reality, I don't think they should fetch as high, but that magic word, discontinued, really pushes the profile.

Aqua Terra quartz is a good shout.

Aerospace Avantage would be my choice.

Banned
    If you like your current watch, perhaps just simply go for the quartz equivalent.

The usual debate is quartz versus mechanical, but if that decision is made, it's then down to personal choice.

I suspect you would prefer full analogue, which excludes Aerospace etc., so I'd just buy whatever you fancy. Onega of some sort would be my choice. Grand Seiko may feature too?

Excellent idea.

After years of despising quarz and digital, I likewise joined the dark side.
    The quesion is; are you ready to join the dark side of quarz - the Seiko SDGA range.
    You wont have to worry about your watch being slow fast or even having to adjust it (apart from DST).
    I find that liberating.

Strange; I still wear my mechanical and autos and enjoy winding a Unitas - I just happen to think, that quarz (and digital/EPD for that matter) can live alongside my old mechanical watches. Something which would have been unthinkable a few years ago.

A couple of years ago I would in fact have scoffed at the idea of buying a quarz let alone a digital.

...then I grew up

Master

Precisionist?

Not as high end, but have you considered a Bulova Precisionist? Ultra-reliable quartz movement, with a second that is super smooth. Some of the designs are *ahem* out there, but there are some more conventional. For example:

Here's a video of a demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohl8DC8doYE

Alex.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Well neil I have 3 quartz watches in my collection which cover 3 levels/styles and i like them all.

1) Seiko 7T59 from the early nineties. The best/coolest Seiko quartz chrono

2) Oysterquartz ref 1700. Classy and understated

3) Breitling Emergency. Over the top tool watch.

These are amongst other mechanical watches in my collection and I do love the pick up and go simplicity of these. That said I got my watches out today and the Seiko batttery was dead so had to replace and all is well again.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master
    I've found myself going the same way over the years - more watches for less cash, less hassle, and / or the same watch / case / bracelet for half the price.

As mentioned the Omega AT Quartz works well. The older model is a classic in the making, and it's still probably possible to pick up the quartz version of the current AT new for a good price, though it's recently been quietly discontinued. Then there's thermocomensation and the quest for high accuracy, in the seconds per year range. The 17000 Oysterquartz is an absolute classic, and modern evolutions of the concept like the Grand Seiko 9F are well worth a look - keep an eye out for Japanese market editions which offer a few more styles. Early / vintage quartz is also interesting, omega megaquartz, GPs, and more - expect shorter battery life and dwindling availability of parts, though there are still bargains to be found in this last frontier of watch collecting.

I seem to be reading more and more posts from people saying they've woken up to the practical and modern charms of quartz, maybe the mechanical craze has peaked or the reality of the service charges on large collections is kicking in. I enjoy both but I have to say my quartz watches get by far the most wrist time in practice, as I usually just want to pick up a watch that's already displaying the right time and date - maybe I'm just lazy!

Craftsman
    Pro quartz here. Not that I don't like or own mechanicals, but I am in favour of their simplicity and being able to lift them after a couple of days and just put it on without having to set it. Furthermore, they're cheaper to buy and service.

All the above speaks for itself, but I suppose I'm just trying to say that I support your decision.

In fact, as I type this, I have a grey dial 38.5mm Aqua Terra trying to make its way through the snow to get to me, and when it eventually arrives I'll probably not even need to set it because it's quartz :)

Grand Master
    As a dyed in the wool collector and restorer of vintage mechanical watches, my colours are well and truly nailed to the mast. However, I own one quartz watch (a ca 1990 pre-Bond Seamaster Pro, bicolour) and I do like it. It's convenient, it's very useful for timing wearer tests on mechanical watches I`m regulating, and it almost has novelty value for me because it isn`t mechanical! However, if somepone offered me the mechanical version of the self-same watch, I`d buy it and sell the quartz with no hesitation.

If you're a watch fan, it has to be mechanical, although there's room in a collection for a quartz or two. I don`t really get the 'high-end quartz' thing; I`m happy with a trusty ETA movement which is easy to service and very reliable. From a timekeeping angle the ETA 255.461-based movement in the Omega is fine; mine keeps time to better than 1 sec/month and doesn`t have the thermocompensated circuit fitted any longer. That's good enough for most of us.

Unfortunately ETA have stopped supplying circuits separately; a dead circuit now means a new movement, which is absolutely crazy and will cause unnecesary expense for the owner. A bit like having to replace a whole light fitting because the bulb's failed........typical Swiss madness.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 23rd March 2013 at 17:13.

Blog Entries
    For everyday wear, Citizen eco-drive. There has to be something for everyone in the range.

For a decent quality image brand, Omega SMP or one of the Breitlings that pops up on SC every hour or two (or so it seems).

Master
    I own both quartz and mechanical and love both equally. I quite enjoy setting my watches but I am a bit strange like that.

Sinn UX should tick all your boxes. It's a diver, super accurate, top quality, long battery life, oil filled for excellent viewing angle. Bracelet or rubber option.

Let us know what you eventually choose.

D

Master
    Another vote for Omega SMP or AT.

I have moved to Quartz due to a number of reasons but i also like one mechanical watch but i would now prefer to pay more for a nice quartz and less for a mechanical one.

Does that make me strange...

Master
    Need it be over 40mm? The IWC Fliegercronograph with the mecaquartz movement is pretty fantastic. 36mm but wears a little larger.

Master
    Hi Neil, there is a very nice Omega SMP electric blue quartz for sale on ebay 2264.80, box, papers, serviced £1099 warranted for 12 months.Kev

Master
    Blog Entries
    Longines hydroconquest quartz?, almost half the price of a good used SMP for a brand new one from iconic watches.

Quartz

One of my watch regrets selling this. A do everything super comfortable watch.

The SMP quartz was also a great watch the Aerospace is so practical.

To be honest I am a little surprised by the amount of agreement in this matter?!

all good suggestions although I have yet to make the final decision to flip the SMP Ceramic.

please keep the suggestions coming with pics if possible?

The Aerospace is a possibility as is a Tag aqua racer quartz or the quartz SMP.

- - - Updated - - -

I do like the longines but dislike the large numbers on the dial.

Master
    This is not a good pic,Watchscout has better ,but you get the idea

My Seiko SDGA

Quote Originally Posted by bubblehead View Post
    Hi Neil, there is a very nice Omega SMP electric blue quartz for sale on ebay 2264.80, box, papers, serviced £1099 warranted for 12 months.Kev
    I would love one in 41mm but am too fussy about condition.
    Would have to be almost mint!

Master
    A few quartz...

This last went on s/c last week. I'm also quite smitten with this GS (manufacturer's pic)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    A few quartz...

I'm also quite smitten with this GS (manufacturer's pic)

Can you get a GS quartz that looks like that (with blue second hand)?

I think the OP is more into tool style watches, although I could be wrong. That being the case, a discontinued quartz is always going to be easier to move on without losing anything. If I wanted a quartz tool watch, it would probably be a 2264. Hard to beat and increasing in price.

AT quartz looks good!

I love both quartz and mechanical watches although I'm pretty much uniquely wearing a 50 year old handwound watch at the moment.

However IMHO it's a very shallow WIS who cannot appreciate the magic and elegance of using electrons to make precisely cut crystals vibrate as a way of keeping time. It's a truly beautiful piece of engineering way beyond anything man managed in horology before it. The fact that you can strap these amazing movements on your wrist, throw them about or chuck them in a drawer and forget about them for months is all the more incredible. Sounds a bit wanky, but it really is genius tech.

I'll concentrate on the analogue watches I have/ have although I've had a few decent digitals I'd wear again.

The Seiko 7548's can still be had for bargain prices as per the one just sold on SC.
    In my opinion a future collectible classic but totally useable and solid in the meantime. Here's my own 80's black one (I also have a near nos blue dialled Pepsi version from 1978 below)

Breitling Aerospace is a good shout but the lack of a seconds hand made it impractical for me. Breitling have good customer service in my experience which is a plus.

Oysterquartz is a beautiful and great watch, but require more expensive upkeep, as do the 2.4MHz Omegas.

The SBCM023 is difficult to find but has a perpetual calendar and a relatively HEQ movement. Bit small for some at 38mm

You can't argue with the watch that ultimately replaced the milsub (sort of ;) ). You are however forced to wear it on a strap as the bars are fixed:

My premium quartz is a GS SBGX061 which I love on a gator strap but which also spends time on its bracelet. The 9F movements are incredible pieces of engineering and this one is running at +/- 0spm.

Eddie's PRS10 is a great value watch and is my preferred beater.

Finally once you've had Tuna, you'll probably always want Tuna in your life:

Sorry about the long rambling post :)

Master
    Oyster quartz, Grand Seiko or a hummer of some sort . My choice in that order , no reason , just me preferences :)

Love the Seiko GS and the Breitling Aerospace is really calling out to me!
    How much do they both cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    I love both quartz and mechanical watches although I'm pretty much uniquely wearing a 50 year old handwound watch at the moment.

However IMHO it's a very shallow WIS who cannot appreciate the magic and elegance of using electrons to make precisely cut crystals vibrate as a way of keeping time. It's a truly beautiful piece of engineering way beyond anything man managed in horology before it. The fact that you can strap these amazing movements on your wrist, throw them about or chuck them in a drawer and forget about them for months is all the more incredible. Sounds a bit wanky, but it really is genius tech.

I'll concentrate on the analogue watches I have/ have although I've had a few decent digitals I'd wear again.

The Seiko 7548's can still be had for bargain prices as per the one just sold on SC.
    In my opinion a future collectible classic but totally useable and solid in the meantime. Here's my own 80's black one (I also have a near nos blue dialled Pepsi version from 1978 below)

Breitling Aerospace is a good shout but the lack of a seconds hand made it impractical for me. Breitling have good customer service in my experience which is a plus.

Oysterquartz is a beautiful and great watch, but require more expensive upkeep, as do the 2.4MHz Omegas.

The SBCM023 is difficult to find but has a perpetual calendar and a relatively HEQ movement. Bit small for some at 38mm

You can't argue with the watch that ultimately replaced the milsub (sort of ;) ). You are however forced to wear it on a strap as the bars are fixed:

My premium quartz is a GS SBGX061 which I love on a gator strap but which also spends time on its bracelet. The 9F movements are incredible pieces of engineering and this one is running at +/- 0spm.

Eddie's PRS10 is a great value watch and is my preferred beater.

Finally once you've had Tuna, you'll probably always want Tuna in your life:

Sorry about the long rambling post :)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel View Post
    The Aerospace Avantage (42mm) can be picked up on here from around £1,200 upwards and they wear well so you shoud find a minty one.

The Grand Seiko, I think, are around £100

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel View Post
    GS is £1300ish plus 20% import tax if bought new from Japan. Jura have them at £2k. Used probably about £1100-1200 for a minty full set.

Aerospace I'd buy used as they depreciate a lot from new. The version I had was the best IMO ;) ie Avantage but pre grid dial. Forget what I bought/sold it for, about £1300-1400 ish I think for a good nick full set? Seen them cheaper though.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    The Aerospace Avantage (42mm) can be picked up on here from around £1,200 upwards and they wear well so you shoud find a minty one.

The Grand Seiko, I think, are around £100
    Heh, Steve's in the market for a GS at some point obviously. He just can't deal with the risk of becoming a fanboy though ;)

They are AWESOME and make you AWESOMER though.

On the digital high-end thing, surely the TAG Micro Timer? Or a Junghans Mega 1000?

And I know they aren't regarded as high-end (and I think it's a bit unfair) but take a look at the Citizen Attesa range: Ecodrive, radio controlled, beautiful almost all of them, Perfex (periodically aligns the hands to the markers), Duratect titanium case and bracelets (hardened ti by "injecting" carbon), etc, etc, etc. As far as I'm concerned, it's the ultimate watch. Beautiful, brilliantly built and tons of stuff that are actually there for something you really use and you don't have to do a thing except wearing it.

Now that I think of it, I should get one myself...

Its your call, personally jerky hand me no likie.. YMMV.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    This is not a good pic,Watchscout has better ,but you get the idea

My Seiko SDGA
    What a great watch - I love the clarity of the display and all the proportions are spot on

As far as the OP is concerned, I like the everyday practicality of quartz - to swap watches without having to reset the date etc (3 out of 4 of my automatics have dates) ...but for me, G shocks realy work on a daily basis (one digital and one analogue)

ATB

Jon

Dare I suggest that you save yourself the hassle, and no doubt money, and buy a watch winder? That way you keep the watches you like and you have the convenience of them (almost always) being correctly set.

Standing by for the flames!

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Dare I suggest that you save yourself the hassle, and no doubt money, and buy a watch winder? That way you keep the watches you like and you have the convenience of them (almost always) being correctly set.

Standing by for the flames!
    Accuracy is still an issue... he would have to set them from time to time and a lot more often than a quartz.

I'm all for quartz watches, they obviously make much more sense as far as a watch function is but we obviously aren't into that alone. A couple of months back I found myself owning 6 quartz watches, I'm now down to three and one of those is moving pretty soon. So in a lot of ways, I'm even a bit jealous of the OP and his new take on watches...

Quote Originally Posted by HoneyFB View Post
    I have a couple of Seiko Kinetic dive watches and a Citizen Eco-Drive which is a Japanese only all titanium with a purple dial,
    they are all pick-up and go, no messing about or setting. So I do find I wear these most, plus great for traveling when you
    just need the watch to be reliable and accurate. But I cannot stand digital watches.

I like my mechanical watches, those you wind and the automatics, but I don't use them as my everyday watches.
    Prove it.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    I have aradio controlled Citizen Ecodrive with perpetual calendar.

Never have to worry about setting time or date even in leap years - amazing technology. But I tend to use it as a reference piece more than actually wearing it.

To me the engineering and accuracy achieved in an automatic mechanical watches is wondrous. I wear my 45 year old Omega Constellation auto more than anything.

But I can see the convenience of a quartz

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Prove it.
    :giggles:
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    I have always had a preference for mechanical watches, but after snapping up a used GS quartz at a good price, I have found, to my surprise, that I enjoy wearing it as much as any of my other watches. It gets lots of wrist time, and I definitely recommend one. You get the same finish and attention to detail as on the mechanical models. For a dive watch, the Sinn UX would be my ultimate quartz.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tomah View Post
    That IS a GS Quartz that looks like that with a blue second hand! Japanese market version.

Ps - believe there's a black dial GS quartz similar to the one shown earlier in this thread on s/c somewhere.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tomah View Post
    As above, that is a GS quartz - SBGX085. There's also this newly released limited edition SBGX103 which is a stunner:

Last edited by GlennO; 23rd March 2013 at 23:52.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    That IS a GS Quartz that looks like that with a blue second hand! Japanese market version.
    Can you get a model number?

SMPs are lovely quartz watches but the Aqua Terra really is a lovely quartz alternative.

Its a very classy watch with out any "Fuss" if that makes sense

regards
    T

Master
    I don't own a Quartz at present but I really like them and I can see why you want to go that way just hassle free the Omega Aqua Terra is superb.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    SMPs are lovely quartz watches but the Aqua Terra really is a lovely quartz alternative
    Am I correct in the quartz in only available midsize, 38.5mm?

I have decided I'd like one and the lack of other size options will make the choice easier.

Is it available black, blue, white dial?

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    As above, that is a GS quartz - SBGX085. There's also this newly released limited edition SBGX103 which is a stunner:

That 103 is lovely. Accurate to 5spy and I really like the attention to detail in the dial.

Only 2000 being made, released in May 2013 and £2200 in Japan though :(

Craftsman
    That 103 is one of the most beautiful watches I've ever seen. Seiko know how to pull out all the stops when they want too.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Am I correct in the quartz in only available midsize, 38.5mm?

I have decided I'd like one and the lack of other size options will make the choice easier.

Is it available black, blue, white dial?

Steve

Quartz is only available mid-size.The 42mm is only available with the 8500 and the Co-Axial movement and has more options it terms of dial colour

White and black are offered in the mid-size. A lovely watch and one that I just had to have. I dont think you would be disappointed

regards
    Tony

Master
    I've had a few quartz watches, and in some ways find quartz a "better" watch than auto or manual. Certainly they are better for "grab n' go" - unless you've not worn it for a long time, it's going to be close the right time and there's no need to fiddle around re-setting it. Of those I've had, I'd nominate three in particular:

Seiko SBCM023 Perpetual Diver - classic Seiko look coupled with super accurate 8F35 quartz movement with very neat automatic date reset at the end of the month. If they had given it a quick-set hour hand, as with the Seiko 8F56 movement, it would be close to the perfect all-rounder.

Omega SMP Quartz 2264 - great hands and dial; quickset hour hand making it ideal for travel. Mine runs at about +1 sec/week, so it's never far out. Great WR and robust build makes it a great beater, but it also looks superb on a bracelet, strap or NATO. All the benefits of the (much more expensive) 2254 auto, plus some. The the lume is astonishing; but the way the bevels on the hands reflect the light (so you can see it clearly in the early morning light) or cut through reflections off the crystal, amazes every time I wear it.

Revue Thommen Airspeed Quartz Titanium Chrono - super sophisticated 251.262 movement with centre minute chrono hand, "regatta" feature (allowing you to use it as a countdown + countup timer); quickset hour hand. Same movement in several other brands - including TAH Heuer, Precista PRS-17C, Tutima, and others. I'm looking out for a Breitling M1, which uses the HEQ TQ version of the same movement, in a case that allows the pushers to be operated underwater. It would be the perfect grab and go, action sports watch. And, possibly, a replacement for my Fortis.

I'm going down this route too.

If I only had one watch, I'd want it to be an automatic.

When I've got a box full of watches, anything I have to set the time, or god forbid, the date on is staying in the box.

I'm going to have one "primary" watch, which will be my only automatic, then several "occasional" watches, as many of which as possible will be quartz.

Master
    I'm loving kinetics at the moment which is working well for me .
    A bit more variety would not hurt :)