closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko 5 rapidly gaining time.

Seiko 5 rapidly gaining time.

Can anyone help please, my sons Seiko 5 sport diver, model SNE13J1, calibre 7s36 has suddenly started to gain time, i'm talking 2 hours over a 24 hour period. Has anyone experienced this before or any suggestions on the cause and remedy.

Re: Seiko 5 rapidly gaining time.

Has it been knocked? Magnetised? Either way a service should sort it ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    Has it been knocked? Magnetised? Either way a service should sort it ;)
    He says its not been knocked or left near anything magnetic, i'm going to let it fully unwind and then re time it, if still the same it is still under guarantee so back it goes.

thaks for the reply.

Re: Seiko 5 rapidly gaining time.

Quote Originally Posted by redpenben View Post
    He says its not been knocked or left near anything magnetic, i'm going to let it fully unwind and then re time it, if still the same it is still under guarantee so back it goes.

thaks for the reply.
    Does he use a laptop? Apparently some designs have speakers in such a position as to magnetise watches ;)

Most watchmakers will have a demagnetiser and it can be done without taking the watch apart so potentially a quick and cheap repair.

If it remains fast after that procedure then a service is the option...

Grand Master
    does it have a display back? if so look carefully at the hairspring to see if it's tangled. if it is a sharp tap into the centre of the palm usually loosens it up - not too hard though! it's a known issue with this movement. i take no responsibility for resultant damage if you try it though!
    Last edited by ktmog6uk; 21st March 2013 at 22:08.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

My sumo started gaining time rapidly and as mentioned above a firm tap on the palm sorted it out a treat. Worth a try!

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    does it have a display back? if so look carefully at the hairspring to see if it's tangled. if it is a sharp tap into the centre of the palm usually loosens it up - not too hard though! it's a known issue with this movement. i take no responsibility for resultant damage if you try it though!
    This^^^

I had two watches that were running super fast just like yours, one Seiko and an other brand. After the main spring was unwound, I firm tap on the 9 O'clock side fixed it. Hope it works for you.