closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sweep second hand

Sweep second hand

Any nice quartz watches up to £100 with a nice sweep second hand and leather strap my husband has asked me to put this on here thankyou xx sue

Master
    Humm a quartz with a sweeping 2nd hand

Not for £100...

Bulova make one that ALMOST sweeps (as good as most mechanical watches), but it's 3 times that price (maybe more...).

M.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    As far as I am aware, you won't find a quartz watch with a sweeping second hand. For that, you'll need an automatic. Downside: if not worn for a couple of days, it will stop (unless you use a winder). Upside: no battery to replace!

Good news is, lots of nice autos for under £100. I'm sure others will be along shortly with suggestions, but I'll throw in the Seiko 5 as a starter. Readily available in lots of finishes and looks. Here are a couple of examples:

Plenty of ebay sellers offering these, or Creation Watches (based out of Singapore), or Yorkshire Watches if you want to shop from a UK seller.

Hope that helps,

Alex.

Apprentice

Not a real tell-tale sign

I've seen wall clocks, quartz, with sweeping second hand, and there also are jumping seconds automatics (also called "dead second").

Pfft. Automatics don't sweep smoothly. For that you need a tuning fork watch.

Master
    This Marathon Quartz is supposed to have a sweeping second hand, though I've never seen one in action.. always been intrigued to see / know if they do though!

http://www.marathonwatch.com/product...digital-quartz

Would it be easier if your husband logged on and asked these questions rather than you doing everything second-hand?

Master
    To be fair actually my Hamilton Electronic is very near sweeping

Sweep second hand

Sweeping is overrated IMO. Because it doesn't actually sweep. It twitches its way around the dial.

I've only experienced personally the ETA2824-2 (28,800 bph) and the 7s26 (21,600 bph), and neither do anything you can actually describe as sweeping.

Maybe the op could try sourcing a spring drive at £100?

the bulova precisionist has the smoothest sweep of any watch i have seen with a full length second hand, it is uncanny.

As mentioned above though, they are more than 100 pounds so i should probably just shut up!

Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun View Post
    Pah!! Tuning Forks don't sweep properly, for that you need a Spring Drive..
    Bah. Newfangled nonsense... <grumble grumble> Megasonic... <grumble grumble> 720Hz... Etc.

Master
    I hate to be pedantic, but apparently I've nothing better to do, so officially speaking a sweep second hand merely means it's in the middle rather than on a sub-dial. So almost all quartz watches have sweep second hands, and almost no watches have truly smooth second hands. Not that this what the OP meant of course.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/defini...Bsecond%2Bhand

Ps how about this one
    http://www.seiko-cleanenergy.com/wat...r/sne039p.html
    Last edited by Itsguy; 19th March 2013 at 17:18.

Bulova Precisionist under £100 - job done!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bulova-96B12...3709569&sr=1-1

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Submissive lady View Post
    my husband has asked me to put this on here thankyou xx sue
    Try www.troll-by-proxy.com

xx

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post

It's such a pity they can't make precisionist movements out of actual metal and put them in something less stunningly fugly. To think Bulova have the rights to a Genta designed Royal Oak clone, and one of the most intesting new takes on quartz with good accuracy, low price and a smooth second hand... then they decide to make a range of watches aimed squarely at the Klingon Empire. It defies all understanding.

Off topic? Oh well what evs.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Humm a quartz with a sweeping 2nd hand
    There are smoth sweeping quartz and for sub 100 too.

Seiko made some. The caliber was binned when they thought to make the SD.
    Have a search on youtube.

Once you have the caliber, you have a good chance to find one.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Tam View Post
    Would it be easier if your husband logged on and asked these questions rather than you doing everything second-hand?
    She's a submissive lady - she does whatever her husband asks...Or were you just punning on the second hand bit?

Sweep second hand

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    It's such a pity they can't make precisionist movements out of actual metal and put them in something less stunningly fugly. To think Bulova have the rights to a Genta designed Royal Oak clone, and one of the most intesting new takes on quartz with good accuracy, low price and a smooth second hand... then they decide to make a range of watches aimed squarely at the Klingon Empire. It defies all understanding.

I actually think its alright. I thought briefly about getting one.

Might not now though. Your Klingon remarks took the wind out of my sails.

:(

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post

To be fair, it's one of the less offensive models in the range, and yet you can't help thinking it would look better without each and every one of its distinctive design 'features'.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post

I would like to own one for the interesting movement and its accuracy. I didn't know that they are not made of metal parts in the movement, if that is indeed true - not doubting it but I hadn't read that before. I agree about the Klingon looks, a big negative and a very good characterization of their styling qualities! Also the case quality when you handle it is not very good.

Still at £100 pounds...

Sweep second hand

To be fair, it's one of the less offensive models in the range, and yet you can't help thinking it would look better without each and every one of its distinctive design 'features'.
    I was of the view that its the sort of thing I'd have to see in the flesh, and I'd either love it or hate it.

I think you're probably right though, and I'd give up trying to like it pretty quickly.

Shame though, because I'm interested in the movement at that price point.

My wife wanted a second sweep hand but I got her a Dyson instead...

[QUOTE=burnsey66;2667901]Try www.troll-by-proxy.com

xx[/QUOTE pmsl get back in your bedroom homework got to be in tomorrow xx

Banned
    Try www.troll-by-proxy.com

xx[/QUOTE pmsl get back in your bedroom homework got to be in tomorrow xx
    Thanks for the PM. They're not all that private you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Submissive lady
    Try I've got a small dick and can't get a woman .com. Xxxxx sue
    Talking of homework, practice your quoting method sue xx.

No need to reply.

Last edited by burnsey66; 19th March 2013 at 22:15.

Electric / Tuning Fork / Accutron and Precisionist sweep or as good as, just You Tube them. Spring Drive will also sweep, not many automatics or manuals will sweep, I've owned a few 36k beats per hour watches which have nice smooth movements but don't exactly sweep. Never owned nor seen a very high (above 36k bph) watch.

There are a couple on eBay at the moment for less than £100 but they generally will go for more (if it's a well know name).

I love the look of it, and I've bought the black dial one on bracelet - a lot of watch for less than £120 in the sales on bracelet.
    It's just a matter of time...

Many thanks for the help my husband and I are very pleased you can get a quartz watch with a lovely sweep second hand

Am i the only one who finds the OP extremely creepy?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Picasso View Post
    No.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post

I have this model on bracelet and the sweep is impressively smooth.

Woeful troll but a chance to post my spectacular YouTube video of my wife's Paul Smith quartz watch and it's super sweeping second hand ...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pJydztuCEME

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I love the look of it, and I've bought the black dial one on bracelet - a lot of watch for less than £120 in the sales on bracelet.
    I suppose each to his own on the styling, so you can take my comments with a pinch of salt. It just strikes me that the movement technology is a missed opportunity, as a reasonably priced (fairly) high accuracy quartz with a smooth second hand is actually a potential revolution, and they've turned it into something quite niche and a bit of an acquired taste. With different styling and slightly more robust construction it might work just as well on mid-range as on bargain models, and really shake things up. I suspect these kinds of movements will end up retro-fitted into vintage cases before long.

It's true. I had wondered myself why Bulova was not a bigger name seeing as they have this USP. It's quite baffling why it hasn't been taken advantage of and brought to the attention of the wider market.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Picasso View Post
    No you're not.

There are various things I don't understand really. Why 'she' signs off as "Jane" on some threads and "Sue" on others.

I also don't understand why someone that "married a rich guy" wants advice for said rich guy on a whoppingly expensive £100 watch [edit - that's up to £100]. She also stated her bra size in part of her profile too. Each to their own I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by hansblix2001 View Post

There are various things I don't understand really. Why 'she' signs off as "Jane" on some threads and "Sue" on others.
    Well, that's just odd.

Also given her profile, her threads are really dull...

Thankyou

I'm sorry my husband doesn't use a computer so I put posts on for him thankyou for all your help yes we do live a nice lifestyle but we don't throw it away hence we wanted a cheapish watch thanking you

Second hand

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Woeful troll but a chance to post my spectacular YouTube video of my wife's Paul Smith quartz watch and it's super sweeping second hand ...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pJydztuCEME

Paul
    that's very smooth indeed xx

Master
    Blog Entries
    that's very smooth indeed xx
    Unlike your good self.

My master

My husband master mark is now wearing a lovely timex £14 from amazon very nice indeed xxx

Banned
    My husband master mark is now wearing a lovely timex £14 from amazon very nice indeed xxx
    Any chance of a photo please poppit xx

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Any chance of a photo please poppit xx
    Second that.

My master has spoken

He says I cannot out picture on here but will answer any. Questions you may have ? Xx

Re: Sweep second hand

Quote Originally Posted by scarto View Post
    It's true. I had wondered myself why Bulova was not a bigger name seeing as they have this USP. It's quite baffling why it hasn't been taken advantage of and brought to the attention of the wider market.
    The average buyer may not care for this. I mean that it's not hard to do with any quartz, a smoothly sweeping second hand that is: drive step motor more and add a better battery to counter increased energy consumption is all that's to it from what I read. No other brand has bothered with it recently and I'm guessing they know the market better than we do.
    Last edited by Citizen V; 20th March 2013 at 19:46.

Banned
    He says I cannot out picture on here but will answer any. Questions you may have ? Xx
    Perhaps he misunderstood. We only wanted a pic of the watch, maybe on his wrist please xx

I'm sorry my husband doesn't use a computer so I put posts on for him thankyou for all your help yes we do live a nice lifestyle but we don't throw it away hence we wanted a cheapish watch thanking you
    Why does "Master Mark" not use a computer?
    Is he lazy?
    Lacking the intelligence to use one?
    Or non-existant perhaps?
    If he does exist and youre both as creepy as you come across then hes a very sad man and your claim of a "nice lifestyle" is disproving itself with your every post.
    Please continue however - this could get very entertaining before your almost inevitable ban!

This is gonna be great!

Can't beat a good troll-bashing

Thankyou for private messages

Yes the pictures are nice glad you like them ! Master mark has me in bondage tonight wearing his timex he loves it xxx Ps yes the party is Saturday 23 rd cheers Kevin you naughty boy

Master
    Blog Entries
    This place does seem to attract it's fair number of odd-balls