closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Panerai owner !!!

Journeyman

New Panerai owner !!!

With thanks to 'Lionheart', I'm the proud new owner of a beautiful PAM 312.

Thanks to all who offered advise and opinion recently. It's a big beast, but it wears great !!!

Help me get my post-count up so i can start shopping on SC for straps...

Congrats.

Don't be too quick getting your post count up. You need to wait for me to get mine up so I can start selling some of my PAM straps!

(Alternatively, have a look on paneristi for straps ...)

Journeyman
    HaHa...

I've been doing nothing for the last week except strap-hunting !

For no other reason than it's the way I am, I want OEM. Rather fancy an Assolutamente with a deployant. Right, off to the bank to remortgage the house...

Grand Master
    Result, glad that worked out all good
    RIAC

Journeyman
    Yeah, a great result. Thanks

Really pleased with the decision. Straps are too short. I can just about get the rubber to fit cause it's only got the one keeper. Long straps are a must.

That is a super watch - Panerais are super addictive, I find myself buying all kinds of straps, buckles etc - I never seem to do this with other brands! Enjoy it

Journeyman
    Thanks. You're right, I've never owned a watch that's made me look at straps all evening like this one...

Great catch. The 312 is a fantastic watch, and the whole strap/buckle thing is one of the best aspects of ownership. Have a look at this thread for strap options.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Various-looks

Master
    Blog Entries
    A great model to start your Panerai experience. Unfortunately, owning one normally leads to owning two, to owning...........................

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    A great model to start your Panerai experience. Unfortunately, owning one normally leads to owning two, to owning...........................

or just lots of straps..........!!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    Yeah - that's where I'm finding myself at the moment. Got one; want another. Pesky price increases!

PAMs seem to be a marmite watch. But if they are your thing they are surprisingly addictive.

Master
    Great choice! Enjoy

Congratulations. Like others have said its only a matter of time until your looking for another, may I suggest a manual winding Radiomir. ;-)

Journeyman
    This thread is lacking something. PICTURES! :P

I'm very jealous. It's got to be done for me at some point. Before I'm 30, I'll have me a Panni

i can recommend...

PAM380!
    My first Panerai. For me it was perfect. Luminor was nice but felt a bit chunky for me. I needed something thinner.

Btw, congratz. 312 is a nice piece. Will be me second Pam.
    Last edited by time2catch; 19th March 2013 at 21:14.

Very nice indeed
    Come this summer I hope to be pulling the trigger on a pam336

Journeyman
    Thanks for all of your comments, guys.

Any idea what the UK list price is for a proper Panerai deployant clasp? I've tracked one down in the US, nearly-new, for £230. I'm there in a couple of weeks and can bring it back, so no carriage issues.

Very nice indeed

Journeyman
    Great brand and great choice of model!

Enjoy

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HP2S View Post

Any idea what the UK list price is for a proper Panerai deployant clasp? I've tracked one down in the US, nearly-new, for £230. I'm there in a couple of weeks and can bring it back, so no carriage issues.

I don't know retail myself but that price seems a bit top heavy for pre-owned. There are many very good fakes of the folding buckle so be cautious. The very latest models have a single slide through strap bar with a tiny (pita) grub screw to secure it. On the underside of the outer buckle (when closed) there is like a laser etching of PANERAI repeated on the surface. AFAIK these aren't faked yet but the older models are ten a penny ripped off.

You could always save a bundle of £'s and buy a quality sterile version. http://www.watchobsession.co.uk/Watc...ployment-Clasp
    Last edited by shadowman; 20th March 2013 at 11:03. Reason: Link added

Master

Whereabouts in Staffs are you mate? I've got a boxed deployant sat doing nothing if you want to take a look?

Steve.

Apprentice

Congrats!

I hope to join the club soon.

I'd be tempted to try the watchobsession generic before stumping up for an oem - I normally prefer deployants to tangs, but I think the PAM buckle is part of the look. Also, deployants sometimes need different length straps, particularly if your wrist is small, as it will sit in the wrong place. (I guess you could always move the PAM one on if it doesn't suit.)

There is this one on eBay at the moment for £115 + £10 P&P. And it has the box as well which I never got with my second-hand deployant.

Not sure what width it is, though. You'd have to ask the seller.

Craftsman
    One of these days i'm sure that i'll get my Panerai... More work needed on the Mrs before hand!

Master
    Congratulations on your entry into Panerai ownership. Fabulous watches,nice history behind the brand and relatively exclusive. It may be your first but most probably won't be your last!

Journeyman
    £300 for a genuine deployant in the UK now.

I'd seen that one on the bay, Zigster, but I think it's a polished one not brushed.

stefaulkner, I'm in Codsall, South Staffs. Love to have a look if you're local.

shadowman, this is the American one I've been looking at. What do you think? http://s1281.beta.photobucket.com/us...loyment_buckle

Journeyman
    how big is the margin for an panerai ad?

Master
    Blog Entries
    £300 for a genuine deployant in the UK now.

I'd seen that one on the bay, Zigster, but I think it's a polished one not brushed.

stefaulkner, I'm in Codsall, South Staffs. Love to have a look if you're local.

shadowman, this is the American one I've been looking at. What do you think? http://s1281.beta.photobucket.com/us...loyment_buckle

That looks kosher and the current/new type. I still think it's too expensive myself. For £30 try the sterile as suggested, you may not like they way they fit. A polished one is easily brushed out btw

Journeyman
    Thanks. I thought it looked good, and the guy seems genuine.

I've had a deployant on my Speedmaster for years. I know it's a little "apples vs. pears" between these two watches, but I'm confident I'm going to get on well with it. I'm almost an 8" wrist. Shouldn't dominate too much...

And I'm really liking the look of the Gold alligator Nubuck !!

Appreciate the thoughts, though.

I think it's the other way around - a deployant doesn't dominate ENOUGH on a PAM!

I do have a deployant for my PAM but I actually rarely use it - I'm going to sell the OEM rubber deployant strap that is on it as soon as I pull my finger out. I have a nice seal skin strap from Time Connection which is currently on a non-OEM deployant so I might swap it over to that. But I find I prefer the chunky tang buckles that seem to be in favour for PAMs, even though I prefer deployants on other watches.

Master

I've had a deployant on my Speedmaster for years. I know it's a little "apples vs. pears" between these two watches, but I'm confident I'm going to get on well with it. I'm almost an 8" wrist. Shouldn't dominate too much...

I had a black alligator nubuck on my 351. Byoodiful. .

Master
    Blog Entries

You should be aware the nubuck straps don't stay that way!! There are very susceptible, the gold particularly, to water splashes which stain, and they darken and 'polish' if worn a lot. They do look great though if worn very carefully and infrequently. The Cashmere, last picture, is better in so many ways and much cheaper!

Don't do it !

You think you want a deployant clasp but you don't !!!

Folding clasps are for other manufacturers , not panerai.

Nubuck straps are popular but not for me ........wear / colour far too quickly

Shadowman is 100% right.......cashmere is a belter .

Assolutemente is also nice .

And the MX is may fav .....although having owned 2 and sold them , the marriage was finally complete when I did a custom lengths order with Richmonte

PS ....the 312 is an absolute belter .... Best first Panerai by a clear mile IMHO.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Excellent. Congrats

Master
    When I bought my PAM111, I managed to get a OEM folding clasp and spare strap thrown into the deal. Got home, took the strap and buckle off put the deployant on, took one look and though "nah", it's not right at all, straight back off and sold it on, no regrets whatsoever. I've had a few folding clasps now and IMO the Panerai one is not that comfortable. The big pin buckles just suit the watches much better. Save yourself the cash and stick with the buckles!

Master
    I have the brushed deployant and I agree with what others have said - the stap with buckle combo is much more 'Panerai'. I wear mine with a deployant specific Panerai rubber and croc - I have considered selling the bundle due to it looking much better on a buckle strap.

Blog Entries
    312 is certainly my radar and the pick on the bunch IMO.

Enjoy

Ta
    Pitch

Journeyman
    Sorry to ignore some of the comments here, but I've gone and bought a deployant !!!

Appreciate the thoughts on the nubuck strap. I guess it doesn't lend itself to being a daily wearer.

Assolutemente it is, then...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to ignore some of the comments here, but I've gone and bought a deployant !!!

Appreciate the thoughts on the nubuck strap. I guess it doesn't lend itself to being a daily wearer.

Your money your prerogative Just be aware the Asso strap has the same traits as the JV. It will polish with heavy use, as anything nubuck will to be fair.

Don't worry. You'll easily be able to sell it on when you change your mind. :)

An assolutamente is a good choice of strap. I keep meaning to get one but am supposed to be economising at the moment - £200 on a strap seems quite spendthrift.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well done, now the strap madness begins

Quote Originally Posted by Zigster View Post
    Congrats.

Don't be too quick getting your post count up. You need to wait for me to get mine up so I can start selling some of my PAM straps!

(Alternatively, have a look on paneristi for straps ...)

Journeyman
    Speaking of "strap madness", I've been looking at the 'green canvas' tonight. Never hear that one mentioned, but I think that could look good ?!?!?

Master
    Having seen Robcats photos in your other thread, Ive just taken delivery and fitted a "BOB Vertigo Buffalo Coconut" to my 312 and it looks fantastic. Totally chuffed with it. If I was being ultra-picky then the tail end could be a little longer but for the price its a steal.

OEM Assolutemente £200+
    BOB Vertigo £22

It may not last as long but who cares at the price!

Quote Originally Posted by warns74 View Post
    Having seen Robcats photos in your other thread, Ive just taken delivery and fitted a "BOB Vertigo Buffalo Coconut" to my 312 and it looks fantastic. Totally chuffed with it. If I was being ultra-picky then the tail end could be a little longer but for the price its a steal.

OEM Assolutemente £200+
    BOB Vertigo £22

It may not last as long but who cares at the price!
    Glad you're pleased with it - it's a lovely looking strap for £20-odd and, as you say, if doesn't last so long, who cares!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by time2catch View Post
    PAM380!
    My first Panerai. For me it was perfect. Luminor was nice but felt a bit chunky for me. I needed something thinner.

Btw, congratz. 312 is a nice piece. Will be me second Pam.
    great to see another radiomir fan!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    Glad you're pleased with it - it's a lovely looking strap for £20-odd and, as you say, if doesn't last so long, who cares!
    Trouble is Im already looking for the next one, and your saddle toshi has now caught my eye. Can you please stop posting photos!!

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    You should be on commission!

I've just got a 26/26 coconut for my new RWC 1938a. The 26mm buckle hasn't turned up yet (from a different supplier in the US) so I haven't fitted it, but first impressions are that it is pretty similar to the asso. A great bargain at 1/10th of the price of the OEM Panerai.

Journeyman
    Incoming 'green canvas' for deployant !

Different? I'll have to wait and see...

Pics to follow once it's all together.