closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: cheap pad device?

Grand Master

cheap pad device?

the mrs is making noises about wanting a cheap pad, basically for surfing ebay and facebook. any ideas?
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    the mrs is making noises about wanting a cheap pad, basically for surfing ebay and facebook. any ideas?
    All depends what you mean by cheap. The cheapest of the branded tablets is probably Googles Nexus 7 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Google-Nexus...3636535&sr=1-1 - they start at £184 at Amazon. You can get generic non-branded tablets for anything from £70-150 but you really do get what you pay for in this market, cheaper units have poor responsiveness, no or limited OS updates and screen quality and brighteness is often very poor. I have an iPad and the Nexus and find myself using the Nexus more just because its easier to hold.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brahman View Post
    All depends what you mean by cheap. The cheapest of the branded tablets is probably Googles Nexus 7 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Google-Nexus...3636535&sr=1-1 - they start at £184 at Amazon. You can get generic non-branded tablets for anything from £70-150 but you really do get what you pay for in this market, cheaper units have poor responsiveness, no or limited OS updates and screen quality and brighteness is often very poor. I have an iPad and the Nexus and find myself using the Nexus more just because its easier to hold.
    i was meaning the non branded stuff, it really doesn't have to be the fastest or the best as it will only be for surfing and shopping, not watching movies or gaming etc.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Oh, come on!
    Someone surely has to post it...

Sorry.

cheap pad device?

Quote Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
    Oh, come on!
    Someone surely has to post it...

Sorry.
    Beat me to it.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Grand Master
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Thomas Reid
    I have two NATPC m009s tablets. I find them okay.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NATPC-ULTIMA.../dp/B007V5XL94

I got mine from Wendy Lou on Amazon.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post

Best wishes,
    Bob
    that's the sort of thing - ta Bob!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Nexus 7 on sc for not much more. They are very good, although I'm too used to the ipad these days - I would prefer Google Android though if I didn't used the pad for work too.
    It's just a matter of time...

As an alternative look out for used BB Playbooks - a lot of people got rid or are getting rid cheap as theyve found there aren't 27000 versions of bubble pop games in the app store. I have one as my backup / use in the bath device and as a browser and email client its really very good.

Carphone Whorehouse are punting the bog standard Kindle Fire for £89.

Journeyman
    Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire hands down on this.

Much better than the rest and worth the small amount extra over the real unbranded stuff out there.

Take a look on EBuyer they have all manner of Android pads for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by randomshenans View Post
    Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire hands down on this.

Much better than the rest and worth the small amount extra over the real unbranded stuff out there.
    Depends what you want to do.

The Blackberry is very good if you only want to browse the web and do mail and available stupidly cheap for its spec.

Samsumg Galaxy Tabs and Sony S (looks a bit like a folded over book) are also very good and _can_ be found really cheaply, although prices seem to be all over the place on these and I don't think the Sony's made anymore.

If you want a current model, though, I'd go for the Nexus 7.

I had a M009S - It was ok for the money at the time (only option was an iPad and I wasn't sure I would get on with a tablet), but lagged a long way behind the brand name models in performance, battery life, quality, etc.

As someone said, you DO get what you pay for in this market (actually Google and Amazon are probably selling at cost or very close to).

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

A Kindle Fire would be the winner for me.

Although I'm a big fan of Apple stuff, I think I'd pick a Kindle Fire over an iPad Mini if it wasn't for the compatibility issue with all my other similar devices which are iOS based. If it was just for surfing then I'd definitely get the Kindle Fire - cheap and amazon tend to be pretty good with any warranty issues and it doesn't seem worth saving any more money to get some generic thing with no support.

Grand Master
    she just wants something bigger than her Nokia Lumia to surf the net on and i often have the laptop at work with me so she wants something she can facebook and ebay on, no need for amazing graphics and sound etc, just larger screen than a phone and net capability is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Depends what you want to do.

The Blackberry is very good if you only want to browse the web and do mail and available stupidly cheap for its spec.

Samsumg Galaxy Tabs and Sony S (looks a bit like a folded over book) are also very good and _can_ be found really cheaply, although prices seem to be all over the place on these and I don't think the Sony's made anymore.

If you want a current model, though, I'd go for the Nexus 7.

I had a M009S - It was ok for the money at the time (only option was an iPad and I wasn't sure I would get on with a tablet), but lagged a long way behind the brand name models in performance, battery life, quality, etc.

As someone said, you DO get what you pay for in this market (actually Google and Amazon are probably selling at cost or very close to).

M
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

There is a review in the current What HiFi & Home Cinema magazine. The Kindle Fire HD and the Google Nexus & both got fairly good reviews. Might be worth a quick browse at your local newsagent.

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post

Best wishes,
    Bob
    +1 got one for my dad. Does the simple stuff well.

Journeyman

December 24th 2012 - if you got out any internet-connected device, my wife would run to the other end of the room crossing herself and putting on a garlic necklace.

December 25th - she came downstairs to find that Father Christmas had left her a 32mb Google Nexus 7

December 26th - I had to have it surgically removed from her grasp. She loves it. She is now officially a geek.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwave View Post

brilliant!!!!!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Maplin do a cheap range of Android (though not usually the latest version) tablets. Blackberry Playbook/Kindle Fire are good vfm though and will be better build quality and battery life.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    I have a Momo "bird tablet" that I got from Amazon, for about £95. Screen less bright and clear than an iPad, but not bad. Outclasses any iPad in every other respect. Also worth a look: the Yarvik Zania 10ic.

I've got a Playbook and although I've never tried any of the others it does the job of web browsing very well indeed.

Battery life is pretty good (8hrs I think), and it's got an HDMI out so I can plug it into the TV and stream TV/movies through it (1channel, watchseries, btvguide etc.). Although that might mean she subjects you to endless hours of whatever TV series she's into (my wife has recently started watching Made in Chelsea )...

Apprentice
    Id go for the Nexus 7, more than capable of email Facebook etc, great value for money

there are some quite good cheap and cheerfull android tablets on here::: http://goo.gl/avcxD