closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Beginners Oris Repair

Beginners Oris Repair

A friend of mine has given me an Oris Date Pointer which is not working. He did this because he know's I'm interested in watches, and it is apparently beyond economic repair by a watchmaker. I have been for a while wishing to dabble in watch repair, so this presents me with an ideal opportunity.

The problem is the crown is no longer attached to the stem, so I am unable to set the time or date. The watch runs when given a shake.

So the 2 challenges I face are:
    1. Where to get the replacement bits?
    2. How to replace the broken bits myself?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I would love to be able to return the watch to my friend in working condition.

Beyond economic repair?!

That's strange... Looks like all it needs is a new crown and stem to me. That shouldn't cost more than £50-60 and the watch has to be worth more than that!

A new stem may be all you need if the crown isn't damaged but I'd guess that it is. You will struggle to get an Oris crown as they will only usually sell to authorised repairers.

The movement is a 2824 so the stem would be easy to get from Cousins or similar. Not sure why your friend doesn't just send it to Oris though, I'm positive it's not an expensive job.

HTH.

Luke

Re: Beginners Oris Repair

Must surely be something wrong with it beyond needing a new stem and possibly a crown for it to be classed as being beyond economical repair..?

Well he said it was "not worth repairing" but that may not be on economic grounds, just that his wife has bought him a new watch? The Cousins website was a great lead, but I can't search the ETA section and the Oris section doesn't have a stem for this particular calibre - assuming the 640 on the rotor is the Oris calibre number?

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    Well he said it was "not worth repairing" but that may not be on economic grounds, just that his wife has bought him a new watch? The Cousins website was a great lead, but I can't search the ETA section and the Oris section doesn't have a stem for this particular calibre - assuming the 640 on the rotor is the Oris calibre number?
    There doesn't seem to be a stem listed at Cousins for the Oris 640, nor for the ETA 2836 it is based upon... but there are many on eBay - cheapest I could find was £3.30 from Egypt.

Generic crown would cost peanuts, but there are a few Oris branded ones on there as well.

Grand Master
    I`m sure a stem for a 2836 can be sourced, it'll be the same as one of the other popular ETA movements.

I serviced one of these recently and I`m sure there's nothing daunting about fixing this one. Whether it's a good idea for a total beginner to take it on is open to debate and with all due respect I don`t think it's a good project to start on because the watch has significant value . If the owner wants the watch fully sorting out at a very reasonable price I`m happy to help.....providing he's not in a hurry.

Paul

Blog Entries
    Maybe some keyless works problems?

I've removed the back. Any idea how to release the stem?

Blog Entries
    I see that regulating screw is in strange position....maybe some balance problems?

Quote Originally Posted by igorRIJEKA View Post
    I see that regulating screw is in strange position....maybe some balance problems?

Thanks, I thought that might be the case. But I don't want to cause damage trying to do the wrong thing.

Blog Entries

Thanks to your help I've removed the stem. Just need to find a replacement and crown.

The watch seems to keep consistent time, so I've a mind not to mess with the regulating screw!

Well the parts arrived today and they proved easy enough to fit and the watch is now fully functional!

I am very satisfied with the repair, and would like to thank everyone for their help and advice and Igor especially for the useful photo edits.

Having just photographed it, I think I need to shorten the stem a tiny bit more!

Very good - just a shade off the stem and you are good to go ;)

Grand Master
    Shortening stems is a job I never enjoy, because it can all go pear-shaped. I use feeler gauges to measure the gap and work out how much to remove, using digital calipers to measure. I aim for a clearance at the case of approx 3 thousands (0.12mm) and hold the watch up to check that daylight is still visible when it's pushed home. There are a couple of truicks to use if too much is removed, but taking another stem and starting again is the right way to do......maybe that's why some are sold in 3s!

Paul

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    Well the parts arrived today and they proved easy enough to fit and the watch is now fully functional!

I am very satisfied with the repair, and would like to thank everyone for their help and advice and Igor especially for the useful photo edits.
    In case you wan't to take a deep dive

http://www.darthalex.com/etapdf/ETA_2824-2_DEF_Tech.pdf

by the way.... nice watch!

men

Apprentice
    Stems require so much patience, you will just need to take it slow. lol