closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help needed re. brass/bronze pre-V buckles

Help needed re. brass/bronze pre-V buckles

I think I could use some advice on something from my knowledgeable fellow tz-ers here.

I placed an order last night for a new brass Marazen Layan - this one in fact...

There's only one thing I'm not keen on - the complete kit comes with three straps but they all have brushed SS buckles which obviously don't match the watch case. So I'd like to find a good source of replacement brass/bronze pre-V buckles.

So far I've found a Moscow-based source on e-bay, although they do seem rather pricey. Does anyone have any feedback on them and alternatively does anyone else have any other good ideas? All suggestions gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Simon

I had the same problem last year and bought a couple of these (which may be the ones you are also looking at):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/22mm-Bronze-...item3f20d75c94

They seem to be well made, although very chunky (I had a little difficulty getting the screw bar to fit through my strap at first) - and I imagine that the bronze is the 'real thing', although I haven't chemically analysed it!! I have also bought a bronze buckle from Benarus (very nice, but with 'Benarus' engraved on it), and have heard some good reports on the Olivier Watch Company buckles, although I haven't seen them in real life:

http://olivierwatches.com/bronze-buckles/

Or, if you just want the 'colour' without the potential patina, you could try something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2809710079...84.m1423.l2649

I think that the pricing of the solid bronze buckles is about the same all round (US$50 to US$80 plus postage, etc.) so it's whatever takes your fancy really, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    .... and have heard some good reports on the Olivier Watch Company buckles, although I haven't seen them in real life:

http://olivierwatches.com/bronze-buckles/

I was going to suggest these but there is a warning about Oliver here http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?255958.

You can make your own or have one of mine, if you like the look.

Standard buckle + blow torch equals these distressed buckles of which not two are alike.

Quite easy to do. If I can do it, you can do it.

I happen to quite like the look and am currently wearing a Kampfschwimmer with a sewn in buckle, which have been treated thus.

It wont match the finish of your watch case exactly, but it will look better than the standard buckle.

Last edited by WatchScout; 17th March 2013 at 20:50.

As usual - you always get more (and better) advice here than you expect; so...

- Not going down the Benarus path as it appears they are not currently selling the bronze buckles on their own.

- Not going near Olivier with a bargepole on the basis of the stories that are currently circulating about them.

- I'd really like to start off with a watch case and buckle that acquire patina at roughly the same rate and in roughly the same way (yes I know that brass & bronze won't age in quite the same way), so I'm going to forgo the blowtorch approach for the time being.

Which leaves the Moscow route as the one I think I'll be taking, to be honest. At that price I'm definitely only buying one, though ^^.

Many thanks to Junior, Kingstepper and WatchScout.

Simon

Master
    Blog Entries
    'Simona' has some nice bronze screw in types, but they're not cheap.

http://www.distefanostraps.com/prodo...idcategoriab=7

And Rolko who you have already discovered.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    As usual - you always get more (and better) advice here than you expect; so...

- Not going down the Benarus path as it appears they are not currently selling the bronze buckles on their own.

- Not going near Olivier with a bargepole on the basis of the stories that are currently circulating about them.

- I'd really like to start off with a watch case and buckle that acquire patina at roughly the same rate and in roughly the same way (yes I know that brass & bronze won't age in quite the same way), so I'm going to forgo the blowtorch approach for the time being.

Which leaves the Moscow route as the one I think I'll be taking, to be honest. At that price I'm definitely only buying one, though ^^.

Many thanks to Junior, Kingstepper and WatchScout.

Simon
    No problem, I respect a man who turns down free stuff!

More seriously, I fully understand why you'd want 'the real thing,' as the buckles I have, would only be a stopgap measure and most likely wont be mistaken for anything else, than what they are; buckles, that somebody took a blow torch to

As a relatively cheap (£23) alternative I've just seen these http://www.watchobsession.co.uk/Watc...-Various-Sizes which are 'Cerakote' coated in a bronze colour.

Cerakote is a hard coating used in the firearms industry.

WatchScout I'm embarrassed - I didn't read your post properly and had not realised you were offering me one for free. My apologies.

If the offer's still open I'd love to take a look at one against the watch - obviously I won't be able to do that until it arrives. If you're happy to send me one I'd be very happy to make a donation to the Fundraiser if that's OK with you?

I'll PM you tomorrow.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    WatchScout I'm embarrassed - I didn't read your post properly and had not realised you were offering me one for free. My apologies.

If the offer's still open I'd love to take a look at one against the watch - obviously I won't be able to do that until it arrives. If you're happy to send me one I'd be very happy to make a donation to the Fundraiser if that's OK with you?

I'll PM you tomorrow.

Simon

No problem, Simon. You are welcome to this unused buckle - donation or not. In a previous incarnation, it was a stainless steel 24mm buckle. Well, its obviously still 24mm. Im hazy on the origin, but think its from Panatime.

That looks extraordinary - and I've just had confirmation by e-mail that the brown leather strap it's coming with is parallel i.e. 24/24. So yes I'd love it please. I'll PM you my address now.

I'll also put a donation on the Fundraiser as promised.

Cheers, Simon

The buckle is on its way to you.

I have buckles from Strap Culture, Heroic and several others - I believe the buckle Im sending you is a Panatime buckle, but dont hold me to it, as I have several in that style.

Anyway, its a mint unused buckle.

Please keep us updated.

Thanks. I've had confirmation today that the watch has been despatched, so when everything comes together I'll post photos.

Simon