closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on a Rolex Sub for ladies

Journeyman

Thoughts on a Rolex Sub for ladies

Hello,

Long time no post. After a long watch buying hiatus my trusty tudor mini sub, as identified on this very forum is under review.
    I promised myself I'd get my holy grail Rolex Sub for my 40th years ago when I came here a lot and said birthday is now imminent and I have the cash.
    Was in my LD today, looking at the larger datejusts and a sub. They are all about the same price, which came as something of a surprise - the mid size datejust with the nice fluted bezel is £5.5k - and its nice, don't get me wrong, but for me it pales when compared to the sub, which is so much more watch for the cash, a better investment, and the one i've always wanted.

Just a bit worried it might be a bit big, and a friend said something about not liking big watches on girls - this is for daily wear, I'm not tiny at 5 foot 7....your thoughts would be much appreciated...

Emma

No contest. Get yourself a Sub. Now.

Go for it! As you'll know, Rolex sports are quite popular on girls nowadays, a lot of celebs wearing them for sure.

My missus nicked my Daytona, yes a tad smaller than a Sub but it's gold and really quite heavy - she's got mega skinny wrists but she loves it. Before that was a 36mm midsize Yacht-Master, she far prefers the bigger watch.

Craftsman
    Do you like it and do you want it......seems the answer is yes, so get it?

I think it would look great on you girls.....its a bit fashionable for girls to wear the so called boys diver watches just now. I know the PO is also popular for this and it looks great

Craftsman
    It's not exactly an elegant look on a finely framed woman, and if you've got a larger frame then it may help you to portray an image of being butch.

This is all just my opinion of course, but it's not balanced. But then, I think most modern watches are too big on most men, like they've got a sun dial on their wrist.

My finely-framed marathon-running other half wears a 40mm Explorer II and it looks great on her. It fits perfectly with her sense of style and her general deportment.

I personally think the Rolex sports models are on the small side anyway, so go for it.

They look better on women than on men - and I wear one too.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by tomah View Post
    It's not exactly an elegant look on a finely framed woman, and if you've got a larger frame then it may help you to portray an image of being butch.
    A bit harsh — and completely wrong in my opinion.

The Internet is full of pictures of models and celebrities wearing mens Rolex's.

I'm not saying that should be a reason for buying a watch.

Rather that there's plenty of evidence that these watches look great on women.

Banned
    Here are 144 photos of women wearing mens Rolex watches. It works fine and looks great.

Incidentally, Trinny Woodall wears a mens sub (steel gold) and she has a slight frame and of all people she should know what to wear!

http://rolexblog.blogspot.co.uk/sear...olex%20Watches

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's a definite trend nowadays and they look fine to me (plus I think they will retain more value than a ladies watch)

ATB

Jon

My wife's quite keen on wearing some of my watches, and normally wears a mid-size Seamaster. My Sub's bracelet doesn't quite go small enough for her wrist, but she's very taken by my Navitimer, which fits her very well on a small length strap - the shiny nature or the case and dial is very appealing, apparently. As Josh's link shows, the oversized look works pretty well on women. (Although, to be fair, anything would look good on most of them).

Master
    If its the one you want, then thats your answer! Go for it. Youll only end up regretting it if you buy a datejust instead.

In Asia the rolex sub is extremely popular among women, and they generally arent exactly tall or heavy over there... Many even wear Panerais.

So dont worry about it !

If you like it, just go for it.

My wife is very slight, and has her eyes on a daytona. She has also tried my LV on and found it fine.

Malc

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by emmak View Post
    Hello,

Long time no post. After a long watch buying hiatus my trusty tudor mini sub, as identified on this very forum is under review.
    I promised myself I'd get my holy grail Rolex Sub for my 40th years ago when I came here a lot and said birthday is now imminent and I have the cash.
    Was in my LD today, looking at the larger datejusts and a sub. They are all about the same price, which came as something of a surprise - the mid size datejust with the nice fluted bezel is £5.5k - and its nice, don't get me wrong, but for me it pales when compared to the sub, which is so much more watch for the cash, a better investment, and the one i've always wanted.

Just a bit worried it might be a bit big, and a friend said something about not liking big watches on girls - this is for daily wear, I'm not tiny at 5 foot 7....your thoughts would be much appreciated...

Emma
    Get a last generation sub as they wear smaller and are cooler IMHO.

Master
    My wife wears a TT blue subc in rotation with her mid sized date just. I brought her first diamond dialled mid sized date just on jubilee with discount for £3300. Now the price is silly IMHO, but they will never go down.

Emma, get the SUB. No contest... you'll get your money back if you change your mind. You won't on the datejust so buy the SUB first if you are really not sure. I'd agree with the above posts and get an older smaller cased SUB and save a few quid too. £3500ish would do it.

James.

I'd go for the Sub LV on SC right now. The green is a bit more unisex than the all black.

when I get on a tube in the morning, the first thing I do is watch spot. I've spotted a number of women sporting subs - more steel and gold than steel or gold. They look very elegant, imho.

I prefer the old style case and would recommend you get one of those

Journeyman
    Well thanks everyone for your thoughts - very interesting. Although I wasn't actually going for butch as a look.
    The 16610 was the model I've always wanted since before the new one came out - BUT I also like the new one, and want to ensure warranty, no issues etc, and I like the bezel and blue lume. So I'm 99% on a ND Ceramic from my local AD - 744ER said it best when he said I'd regret it otherwise.
    I bumped into a friend yesterday and told her about my dilemma - she said "you've been on about that watch since I've known you - just get it..."

Thanks all :)

Pics when I get it?

Emma

Master
    The right one, on the right girly looks good imo.

My wife just kindly posed for this shot to give you an idea. It's my 1972 1680 sub that she bought me last year for my 40th, so 40mm. And it's on a nato strap. It looks like I might have now lost this watch :) (She also has a 40mm Panerai luminior. So doesn't mind larger watches).

(and the white cat is Arthur, and he's not fat, he's bulking up for winter....)

Craftsman
    I think that a Sub looks just as nice on a lady as anything else - often more practical to read than many "ladies" watches.

My partner likes to wear a man's watch just for that reason alone and she often wears one of mine for her daily wearer. If I give it to her she will want a different one of course - but I'm not going there.

If that's what you want and like then just go for it.

My girlfriend wears a Tudor 76100:

Banned
    Seadweller on a very slim wrist:

Rolex and civil procedure - fantastic combination!

Master
    40mm and below are for ladies anyway. no issue here!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Delente View Post
    Rolex and civil procedure - fantastic combination!
    Ha ha, you beat me to it. Now all you need is the green one, and you're set to go

Craftsman
    Get one. Looks awesome on girls. Exp II worn by Mrs. OD: (=Not too big.)

-OD

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by odgreen View Post
    Get one. Looks awesome on girls. Exp II worn by Mrs. OD: (=Not too big.)

-OD

That Nomination bracelet will scratch up the side of the 16570 :(

Banned
    Too big a watch for the wrist looks silly, male or female.
    Having the bracelet so loose that it flops around, is even sillier.
    Both say fashion victim. iMHO.

Master
    Go for an older 14060 version Emma. Far more elegant with the thinner lugs and classier imho. The ceramic versions with oversized lugs might be a little weighty & bulky. Best of luck whatever you decide.

Good call - works for me, no issues over the size or how tight (or not) the bracelet is.

Personal taste IMO

And why does it matter - one persons fashion is another persons nightmare.......
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I gave the Exp2 to my girl for her Birthday and it has been her favourite and rarely off her wrist.

I think you've got the message - an overwhelming recommendation!

One thing I would say, as I said in my previous post, the older (pre-ceramic) model bracelets don't actually go that small - mine is too big for my wife, even with all the removeable links taken out and the clasp pins on tightest. The newer bracelet actually goes a little smaller, as it's construction is different. You would need to check that first as I don't know if a permanent link can be removed.

Master
    Very good point made by Robcat. On the ceramic versions the 4th link is a screwlink whereas on the older models it's the 5th link.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
    Go for an older 14060 version Emma. Far more elegant with the thinner lugs and classier imho. The ceramic versions with oversized lugs might be a little weighty & bulky. Best of luck whatever you decide.
    Agreed the older models wear a bit smaller

Craftsman
    My personal favourite watch on women is without a doubt the Daytona, but you can't really go wrong with a Rolex on a elegant, slim lady wrist. I would go for either an Explorer or a Daytona before a Sub, the Sub being a bit more "boring" on a woman than a Daytona or Explorer, imho.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ally View Post
    Agreed the older models wear a bit smaller
    Definitely works on the right woman. Cameron carries it off nicely here.

http://rolexblog.blogspot.co.uk/2010...iaz-rolex.html

I bought my wife a 5513 for her 30th.

She's pretty short (5ft 1in) with a small frame and it suits her perfectly, plus she loves it!

Go for it...!

:-)

if it's the one you want then go for it i think they look great on women

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    That Nomination bracelet will scratch up the side of the 16570 :(
    She does not wear it on same wrist on daily basis. When I bought it (=Nomination) just slipped it to her wrist to snap that picture together with EXP II.

-OD

Master
    Blog Entries

Well I was going to say no.... But

Pic stolen from Jakes Rolex blog!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post

I gave the Exp2 to my girl for her Birthday and it has been her favourite and rarely off her wrist.
    I'd keep them further apart if I were you - the worse scratches on my watches come from my wife's 79173 - by product of us wearing watches on opposite wrists ....

Journeyman
    Well, yesterday I finally went to my AD and bought one. 114060. Very comfortable, I got used to the heft of it after my mini sub quite quickly. The lume is great, the bracelet micro adjust is great - and I love the simplicity of the ND. The build quality is of course excellent, although I know this will upset the purists...

Interestingly, the first 4 digits of the serial are sequential numbers - what are the odds...looks fake :)

Its this forum which got me into watches, and got me buying (inc. a couple from Eddie). I will frequent more frequently - and thanks for all the advice.

Emma
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by emmak; 19th March 2013 at 21:53. Reason: adding image properly

Quote Originally Posted by tomah View Post

This is all just my opinion of course, but it's not balanced. But then, I think most modern watches are too big on most men, like they've got a sun dial on their wrist.
    The only place that an oversized watch looks half decent is on a womans wrist - they are, after all, mostly fashion statements.

Edit: Obviously I mean when a watch is too big for the wearers wrist, not that the sub is in itself oversized - just for some people.
    Last edited by Umbongo; 19th March 2013 at 22:29.

Looks great Emma, enjoy!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Looks great Emma, enjoy!
    Great choice........mmmm I think I want an ND now.. :)

Craftsman

My better half wears my daytona in summer.
    Last edited by ozzies; 20th March 2013 at 12:14.

Quote Originally Posted by emmak View Post
    Well, yesterday I finally went to my AD and bought one. 114060. Very comfortable, I got used to the heft of it after my mini sub quite quickly. The lume is great, the bracelet micro adjust is great - and I love the simplicity of the ND. The build quality is of course excellent, although I know this will upset the purists...

Interestingly, the first 4 digits of the serial are sequential numbers - what are the odds...looks fake :)

Its this forum which got me into watches, and got me buying (inc. a couple from Eddie). I will frequent more frequently - and thanks for all the advice.

Emma
    Good call! I think you made the right choice there - the ND Sub, in all it's guises, is a classic, and the new ceramic model really does feel like a quality item. The newer bracelet, with the fine-adjustment on the clasp gives you a bit more flexibilty to get it sitting just right.

Master
    Looks damned good on you!