closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watches you like, but just can't quite pull the trigger on?

Master

Watches you like, but just can't quite pull the trigger on?

There are a whole bunch of watches that I really like, could afford, keep going back to and always admire and yet... I just can't quite bring myself to buy one of them. Whether it's the fact that I see too many around, or I think they're too expensive or there's just something not quite there for me, they are watches I don't think I'll ever stop looking at but I don't think I'll buy either. My list of regulars includes:

Planet Ocean
    Superocean Steelfish
    Avenger Seawolf
    Tudor Pelagos
    Rolex GMT II

Banned
    Blue AT for me, might get one at some point, but the lack of micro adjustment on the clasp has me worried about finding the correct fit.

Banned
    Same here been thinking of a new watch but can not decide what to do, when i first started it was simple dress/diver not bothered about make as long as they fitted the bill.

Along the way brand names and movements build quality came into it, and low and behold 10 years later i'am back to dress/diver. I quite fancy a complication like a moon-phase been leaning towards a Glashutte Original PanoMatic Lunar Moon Phase. which is a good choice for me because i Can not find one

Craftsman
    Breitling Navtimer for me. Would love a white dial model.

Omega AT for me. Like everything about it... except that bloody arrow on the hour hand. Just not right.

Definitely a Skyfall AT and Seamaster 2222.80 at the moment.
    Last edited by Alessandro; 10th March 2013 at 21:20.

its the seamaster for me.

i think they are brilliant looking and i constantly re-visit the idea of getting one but in my heart of hearts, i know they look too small on my big fat arms.

The Hamilton on SC
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman
    Breitling Superocean Abyss... guess I just have to put one on to get rid of that 'trigger' :)

Craftsman
    IWC Portuguese Automatic

It's the most beautiful watch around as far as I'm concerned, but sadly the movement inside isn't in-house, and I'm reluctant to pay so much for such a watch especially as all of my current watches have modified ETA movements already. I've spent a year looking for an alternative, but can't find one that does it for me. Every time I try on a Zenith alternative I just think "meh"...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Joppers View Post
    Breitling Navtimer for me. Would love a white dial model.
    I have a Navitimer World i like because it ticks all my boxes 46mmn black face white slide rule and silver hands very easy to read.

Last edited by Fords; 10th March 2013 at 21:29.

That's lovely.. Though too big for me.

i would like the 50th anniversary navitimer ( the brushed model) and a cosmonaute.. New or old model.

But I am really trying not to buy anything.. Other expenses have priority honest..

I would have to say an Omega PO. Just can't seem to like that one enough to purchase. I am just too partial to the Seamaster Bond edition.

Sub
    Bladibladibla 10 characters

Max Bill Chronoscope.

I love this watch and have wanted one for ages but for some reason I never go and get one.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quite a few. The main one being a Rolex Explorer II white dial. I'll probably get one in due course. Also a DSSD, Longines Moonphase chrono, Breitling SO 44, the list goes on.

The ploprof. It's to damn big for my wrist but I really like it :(

Mmmm...

There's only 1 watch that I'm in imminent risk of actually buying and that's the Longines Hydroconquest in blue, so that's probably the one that fits the thread.

That said, I often look at the following and think "what a great watch, I'd quite like that"

Longines Legend Diver.
    (TAG) Heuer Monaco (but only really in black, the garish ones and even the blue, don't appeal much).
    Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (That, I think, will always remain a bit of a dream).
    Junghans Chronoscope Max Bill.
    IWC Portugese.
    Breitling Transocean.
    Breitling Superocean Heritage.

Whether, though, I'd actually spend my money on any of them is debatable. I 'like' them, but enough to spend the money? Probably not...

I 'like' a lot of cars, but don't feel the need to own every one I like.

Otherwise, I rarely see something that really piques my interest enough to consider actually buying one, even those I later find out I could never afford!

M.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Panerai (any Pam).

I came within a whisker of buying one recently - my "perfect" Pam after much research, but the seller (totally understandably) wanted face-to-face only, so couldnt complete. Still think about it every day... but I took the f-2-f as divine intervention and have resisted so far!

PS "pull the trigger" is such a horribly American phrase and should not be used here! Save it for WUS.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm the opposite. I tend to pull the trigger then flip them away. My biggest sins are the Submariner and Speedmaster. I've owned four or five of each but they never seem to stay. I think its because there are so many about in the wild. I like to feel a little exclusive. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    PS "pull the trigger" is such a horribly American phrase and should not be used here! Save it for WUS.
    hear, hear!

M.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Watches you like, but just can't quite pull the trigger on?

A Rolex 1655. Been toying with the idea for a while but I'm still to... errr... push the detonator. ;)

Orient Bambino, as a dress watch. They're not exactly expensive and that's the problem. I don't often wear a suit. So It'll be a special occasion when I do and the watch I wear needs to feel special too
    Last edited by snedboy; 11th March 2013 at 13:33.

Master
    I've looked at the Seiko bullhead a few times but never managed to part with my cash for one.

Lovely looking watch, a real eye-catcher and seemingly good value (£300 give or take) but I've never pulled the trigger.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    There's only 1 watch that I'm in imminent risk of actually buying and that's the Longines Hydroconquest in blue, so that's probably the one that fits the thread.

That said, I often look at the following and think "what a great watch, I'd quite like that"

Longines Legend Diver.
    (TAG) Heuer Monaco (but only really in black, the garish ones and even the blue, don't appeal much).
    Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (That, I think, will always remain a bit of a dream).
    Junghans Chronoscope Max Bill.
    IWC Portugese.
    Breitling Transocean.
    Breitling Superocean Heritage.
    I have always been smitten by the design of the Hydroconquest, it just seems right in every way.

Except that damn red tipped second hand. Could not live with that. I would have to mod it to something different. So I've never gotten one.

I'm with you on the rest of the list, by and large.

Every flamin' one on my hit list of three when they come up on SC (not very often). For some reason I just can't seem to say "yes please" and end up buying something that gets flipped instead of the keeper from that list.

Not this time though. No siree Bob.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Every flamin' one on my hit list of three when they come up on SC (not very often). For some reason I just can't seem to say "yes please" and end up buying something that gets flipped instead of the keeper from that list.

Not this time though. No siree Bob.
    I know that feeling all too well!

Omega AT - a tad too thick.

Seiko Monster for some reason. I was very tempted by the Black/Snow monster a couple of weeks back, but just for some reason I cant quite do it.

Fish

Grand Master
    Good idea for a thread, this, I reckon. My submissions:

Ebel 1911 BTR chrono - lovely dial, just too big and can't fit conventional straps
    Longines Legend Diver - right-handed crowns no good on the right wrist
    Oris Chronoris - lovely to behold, but will never look as good as the day it was new. Same goes for anything else with a sunburst, "linished" brushed finish really
    Tudor Aeronaut - my favourite GMT implementation with no fiddly crown to unscrew, but then again, too many holes in the case. Hopeless logic, I know
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    Ive got the Steeflish and Seawolf and will buy the GMTC next year.

I probably won't buy the BP Fifty Fathoms as for that money Id rather have an AP RO, and a Nautilus as for that money Id need precious metal.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Trying hard to buy a Patek, but they are actually, in my estimation, not quite as good as they should be.

I want a Lange, but I am waiting for them to change that dreadful uneven big date.

I would love a GO Cosmopolitan, but I can't justify making my family homeless to buy it.

Journeyman
    Cartier Santos 100. Can't justify the pricetag with an ETA movement.

Omega Speedmaster....been trying them on for 18 years but still never quite got around to buying one!!

Journeyman
    A Tudor. Need to make a decision on which I like best......