closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 5-6k help

5-6k help

Brother is in the market for a used watch. 5-6k budget.

Wears a suit to work so something smart but potentially sporty too.

Love to hear some suggestions:-

Not a watch head so preferably one of the more recognised brands lWC sort of level if you know what I mean.

Cheers all.

Master
    The world's your oyster at this price I guess.

A Blancpain Fifty Fathoms is a little above this budget but worth striving for.
    Rolex GMT2c is a nice work watch
    Any of the Jaeger Le Coultre range may appeal, specifically the Master Compressor Range
    IWC Ingenieur

Have a look here for ideas http://www.blowers-jewellers.co.uk/ they have pre-owned high end stuff, obviously will be cheaper privately

There is a very nice Blancpain Flyback on the sales corner at the moment - I know you can't see it but pic below for £3,850
    Last edited by Dazzler; 10th March 2013 at 10:22.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joethetoe View Post

Not a watch head so preferably one of the more recognised brands lWC sort of level if you know what I mean.

Cheers all.
    With that sort of dough i'd be snatching the IWC Portuguese from SC. Classic!

Craftsman
    I recon IWC Portuguese (IW371446) is the answer.

There's almost too much choice at the price, especially when considering used.

For a non-WIS, it's hard to beat a Rolex Sub, GMT or Exp II -they will provide the warm-fuzzies all day long.

Outside of those, you're best off going to a few AD's with him and getting a feel for what he likes from the other brands.

Master
    Blog Entries
    IWC Portugese for class or Rolex Sub for everyday wearability.

Interesting. Portugese is a great shout.

Quite like the new spitfire chrono too.

Cheers

Why on earth would he spend that sort of money on a watch if he is not interested enough in watches to have an opinion about what he wants!? I'd buy something like a Seiko SKX007 and spend the rest on something I am interested in :-)

I spend a fair bit of money on watches, but that's because I am interested in watches...

How about something like this...

You should be able to get a new one within your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by waiteu2 View Post
    With that sort of dough i'd be snatching the IWC Portuguese from SC. Classic!

Ditto ditto ditto.

In a blink!

Craftsman
    As I understand it has to be one watch for everything. 100M water resistant is therefore "must to have" - GMT2 would sort it out. Portuguese if it is 2nd watch.

Quote Originally Posted by danmiddle2 View Post
    Why on earth would he spend that sort of money on a watch if he is not interested enough in watches to have an opinion about what he wants!? I'd buy something like a Seiko SKX007 and spend the rest on something I am interested in :-)

I spend a fair bit of money on watches, but that's because I am interested in watches...
    Although this is why a Rolex is the default choice for someone who "wants a decent watch" but is not a WIS - the two aren't mutually exclusive IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by RudeDog View Post
    How about something like this...

You should be able to get a new one within your budget.
    Jlc master CHRONO, great shout...will suggest it.

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    Although this is why a Rolex is the default choice for someone who "wants a decent watch" but is not a WIS - the two aren't mutually exclusive IMO.
    I guess not, but at least people who default to a Rolex are making a choice of their own, albeit not necessarily a WIS-level informed one.

I was probably being a little unfair to the OP's brother in my first comment - no harm in asking advice from people who know.... but I would have thought narrowing it down to some watches that are of interest would make sense.

For what it's worth I would get one of these for that budget:
    http://www.jurawatches.co.uk/product...FUTItAodkUAAiw
    Although it doesn't really hold the brand kudos of the others mentioned, so maybe doesn't meet the brief.

So far ive suggested:-

IWC
    Portugese
    Spitfire chrono

JLC
    Master chrono

Rolex
    Sub
    YM

And a Dornbuth as a curveball!

He wouldn't go for the Seiko, to be honest I'm not keen on the look of it either.

I love this watch, currently my "office grail". A Reverso would also come to mind..

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It has to be a sports watch IMO. If he has one "pog" watch then it should be something that will survive some holiday swimming, a beach party and also look great with a suit.

I think Rolex GMT or Yachtmaster ticks all the boxes. I'd avoid a sub simply because so many people are wearing them.

Iwc Aquatimer with the internal bezel may be a good shout.

Just about any Omega PO is in range with the 5-6k budget, as is a new GMT2.

Would 6k get near a Royal Oak or Nautilus?

Blog Entries
    I know someone who's selling a nice Portuguese in your price bracket.......

Master
    £6k can just get you a used AP RO. Naut would be £13K at best.

Interesting. Portugese is a great shout.

Quite like the new spitfire chrono too.

Cheers
    If he likes the Portuguese previously mentioned HERE then I would snap it up. For many it's one of the most beautiful watches made.

If the IWC Spitfire Chrono is to his liking ensure you try it as the newer IWCs are huge.

Enjoy the process.

Cheers all.

isn't this where a ND Sub excels ? can easily get one within your budget too i believe
    Last edited by cdmed; 12th March 2013 at 10:59.

Journeyman
    Rolex SubC. Dressy and sporty :)

Personally for dressy then IWC 3714-01:

or Grand Seiko GMT:

A Rolex is surely the perfect watch for this person. A classic "not too interested in watches but want a nice one" person. Rolex ticks all the boxes in this situation, probably something like a submariner.

Not meant as an insult to Rolex lovers - I'm not too bothered about cars but I like to drive a nice one. There are forums out there for the car marque I drive so it is clearly one for enthusiasts as well as those (like me) who are a bit meh about it all and just want something comfortable, reliable and good looking.

5-6k help

I would buy a new Submariner (or a good 16610 or Seadweller) in any flavour, job done. Then keep it for good and get it serviced as and when it needs it. It might be a predictable choice but it will cover all your smart/casual/holiday options, keep good time and hold its value, and I find the bezel very useful for cooking and parking meters!
    Personally I'd buy a minty 16610LV, an alternative set of NATO straps in various colours, a black bezel insert for when you fancy a change and maybe a Rubber B strap too. (Plus a decent springbar tool as I find the bracelet a pain to swap out) - then you've got enough options to keep a (non-WIS) very happy!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I would buy a new Submariner (or a good 16610 or Seadweller) in any flavour, job done. Then keep it for good and get it serviced as and when it needs it. It might be a predictable choice but it will cover all your smart/casual/holiday options, keep good time and hold its value, and I find the bezel very useful for cooking and parking meters!
    Personally I'd buy a minty 16610LV, an alternative set of NATO straps in various colours, a black bezel insert for when you fancy a change and maybe a Rubber B strap too. (Plus a decent springbar tool as I find the bracelet a pain to swap out) - then you've got enough options to keep a (non-WIS) very happy!
    Fair comments all. He has a ND sub 5 years ago but sold it. Think he could well be pushed down that route again.As you say they do tick all the boxes.

Cheers

I would say SubC or IWC portuguese.

The JLC master series have some nice models. How about the master calendar

http://collection.jaeger-lecoultre.c...lendar/151842A

soon to be replaced with a newer model.

One of these, although probably not a contender for a non WIS...

Glashutte Original Seventies Panorama Date

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ight=Seventies

Journeyman
    I'd get an Aqua Terra for that, but then again, the AT is on my want list. Massive spectrum of options.