closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What does this signify?

What does this signify?

A friend is clearing out his late fathers possessions and came across this pocket watch:

His father was in the RAF in WWII but my friend has never seen this before, I've asked him for a pic of the front (it's a JLC) but meanwhile can anyone offer some info on the engraving?

Ta.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

General service time piece
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Thanks.

Any idea/thoughts about the number?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I always thought it was time piece Ralphy but apparently some people think it means 'temporary piece' or 'trade pattern' . Have a look over at MWR. No idea on the number , presume its just an issue number ?

Nobody has ever really resolved whether it means General Service Time Piece or Trade Pattern, same goes for the ATP wristwatches for what follows A for Army. The number is just an issue number - as far as I know there is no correlation between the number and the marque or year of issue or regiment or whatever; what marque is it by the way?

Front pic just in:

There's no glass in it, but a wind 'produced a ticking noise'.

Should I be warning him of radium or something???

R

woahhh!! crazy paving!!!

Pity the enamel is so shagged, the JLC models (along with the Omegas) fetch 4 or 5 times more than the more common marques - Cyma, Buren, Doxa, Grana, etc..

I keep an eye on GSTP watches as they come and go on Ebay. The good news, as has already been said, is that JLCs are the strongest performers however the dial issue and the heavy brassing to the front bezel isn't doing that any favours. A goodish one will go for £200-£250 - I can't see that getting more than £80 though, on the plus side the hands are in nice nick and the back hasn't got too much wear.

Unfortunately there is nowhere near the same amount of information on these compared to the WWW wrist watches but there's a bit here.
    http://www.royalsignals.org.uk/photos/watch.htm

I must get a JLC one of these days; I've only got 2 Omegas (different hands sets), 2 Leonidas (black and white dial) a Moeris and a Cyma.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    I think Neil c has one of these foggy or Neil will put you right on the details I sold a couple found at boot sales for £30 or so
    Paul.

I hawe nice colection of British military watches.Pocket JLC,Omega,Moeris,Helvetia white and black dial,Cortebert,Doxa,Cyma,Damas,2 Certinas,some with no name,and four watches of canadian forces 2 WWI and two WWII.Elgin WWI black dial NOS condition very rare,8 Day pilot cockpit W D watch in original case,Walham,H.Williamson,Elgin WWII with broad arrow on dial and sign G433,some stopwatches CWC and Precista stopwatch for bombs.Nice Zenith alarm military in gunmetal WWI,Tissot HS3 central second desk watch.
    I hawe and few wirstwatches,ATP Timor,Cortebert,2 trench watches with glass protector.Smiths Kenian army from 70-is,two pilot Helvetias
    I am big fun of military watches,I hawe large colection of pictures military watches,few thousands different watches and some military watches books.
    In future I wona do book with this fundation in digital form for all people who like this watches and wona know more about them.
    The most nice military watches for me naw is WWW watches.i am looking for hawe one or more in my little military collection.

I've seen GSTP used when referring to commercial revolvers issued in wartime.

When I read that reference GSTP stood for General Service Temporary Pattern.

I would say the same applies to any piece of commercial kit pressed into service due to wartime needs.

Kind regards

Chris

This article attempts to expand on the actual meaning of GSTP

http://www.royalsignals.org.uk/photos/watch.htm ... see Watches G.S.T.P. Or G.S./T.P.

Couple of Q&Ds of my GSTPs - one JLC and one Cyma

Best wishes

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 17th March 2013 at 20:19.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"