closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Who best to rotate a dial to create a Panerai "Destro"

Master
    Blog Entries

Who best to rotate a dial to create a Panerai "Destro"

I know this is relatively easy for those with appropriate skills, and understand the dial feet are usually removed and special tape used to position the dial upside down. On a non sub-seconds watch i'm even tempted to try it myself but would feel better if a pro took on this small job for me.

All nominations are invited and indeed welcomed, please

Master
    If a person was to do it properly they don't have to resort to dial tape which can allow the dial to slip/rotate over a period of time. They should re-attached new dial feet in the correct locations, if not with solder then at least strong epoxy.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    I know this is relatively easy for those with appropriate skills, and understand the dial feet are usually removed and special tape used to position the dial upside down. On a non sub-seconds watch i'm even tempted to try it myself but would feel better if a pro took on this small job for me.
    The dial cannot be turned upside down on a dial with subseconds, of course. Nor is it advisable to try it with a dial featuring a date window, unless you have a "left-handed" date wheel too. But a plain, time-only dial is more straightforward to re-mount, as the dial feet are often diametrically opposed (they are for any watch featuring an ETA 649x, or movement derived from it).

So: Movement out, hands off, dial off, turned 180 deg, (new!) hands on, movement reinserted inot case, watch placed on wrist, upside-down. Job done.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    The dial cannot be turned upside down on a dial with subseconds, of course. Nor is it advisable to try it with a dial featuring a date window, unless you have a "left-handed" date wheel too. But a plain, time-only dial is more straightforward to re-mount, as the dial feet are often diametrically opposed (they are for any watch featuring an ETA 649x, or movement derived from it).

So: Movement out, hands off, dial off, turned 180 deg, (new!) hands on, movement reinserted inot case, watch placed on wrist, upside-down. Job done.
    Why would anyone even think of doing it?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post

All nominations are invited and indeed welcomed, please
    Which Panerai are you considering making into a destro?
    Last edited by paneristi372; 4th March 2013 at 17:31.

Journeyman
    You can only rotate a Panerai base. It should be easy enough, but like you I wouldn't try it :)

Don't do it.

You'll only regret it and sell it a week later for a fraction of what its worth

Master
    Blog Entries
    As Baldrick was known to mutter, i have a cunning plan. I don't regard the donor as that important so will have it done if someone steps up or is recommended. I don't think i'd regret it at all, destro is the format that would suit me very much better being a righty wearer

I owned a Panerai 219 and a 112 at the same time, and if I recall correctly the crown lock on the destro was upside down in comparison to the 112 - it looks like all Panerai do themselves is turn the dial around!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I owned a Panerai 219 and a 112 at the same time, and if I recall correctly the crown lock on the destro was upside down in comparison to the 112 - it looks like all Panerai do themselves is turn the dial around!

Maybe on the older one? i wouldn't know.

On current production what i do know know is the chamfered top of the CG isn't just reversible without the lever then being upside down. Another a minor detail is the OP script on the movement is also reversed .

I don't condone or in any way support the retail prices but there are reasons why they differ.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Nor is it advisable to try it with a dial featuring a date window, unless you have a "left-handed" date wheel too.
    A left handed date wheel? Flipping a dial through 180 degrees even with a date window will work with the standard datewheel. Simply because when you flip the dial you are flipping the case (and thus the movement) through 180 degrees as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post
    A left handed date wheel? Flipping a dial through 180 degrees even with a date window will work with the standard datewheel. Simply because when you flip the dial you are flipping the case (and thus the movement) through 180 degrees as well.
    No it won't. The date window will be situated between 13 and 14. A date wheel designed for a four o'clock date window would be better but still not spot on.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannop View Post
    No it won't. The date window will be situated between 13 and 14. A date wheel designed for a four o'clock date window would be better but still not spot on.
    Thanks - the pic said it much better than the clunky explanation I was about to jot down ;). I discovered this the hard way, of course, not having worked through the logic of it first.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I think the 219 I owned definitely had the engraving reversed, but the crown lever was upside down compared to the 'normal' one. I'd forgotten about the engraving.