closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Suggestions Welcome: Under $1k Elegant White Dial

Suggestions Welcome: Under $1k Elegant White Dial

I've been looking for my next watch, and was hoping that those of you with a broader knowledge of what is out there may suggest something I'd yet to consider. My criteria:

• Under $1000, preferably closer to $500.
    • Mechanical, either hand wind or automatic. Viewback a plus, not critical.
    • Beige or white dial
    • Classic styling, simple and easy to read.
    • Second time zone a plus, but not critical.
    • 38-42 mm face, no larger than 49.5 mm lug to lug.

My current collection is small, as I'm just starting out. I have a Precista PRS-3, a Seiko Coutura Kinetic and a Hamilton Khaki Automatic. All black dial on bracelet, practical watches. So I'm looking for something a bit brighter and dressy. Something other than a Hamilton (though the Navy Pioneer 40mm is gorgeous) just to mix things up. Tissot Automatics III also temping, and offers great value for the $$, but I'm hoping that there is something out there a bit more . . . interesting than another Swatch company product, as good as they are. And this is where I'd like to turn to suggestions from the hive mind. What do you recommend? I've found myself tempted by Sea-Gull watches before I come to my senses, and hoping you all can help steer.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Longines all day long

Steinhart Marine 38?

Master
    $245, display back, Calibre ST2130 (clone of ETA 2824-2) beating 8 times per second.

But if you don't like Seagull, $150 ish, automatic ,display back.

Last edited by J J Carter; 4th March 2013 at 00:16.

Graf Zepplin watches are interesting as well. $500 range, with several for less. Japanese automatic movements and exhibition backs.

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    But if you don't like Seagull . . .
    Tempted by Sea-Gull. The value and asthetics are what I'm looking for, and they seem to make reliable, attractive movements. The hurdle for me is with Chinese brands in general. I lived in China for several years and am put off by anti-competitive practices I found there, chiefly by open and government-aided theft of EU and US intellectual property as a foundation for Chinese brands. ZTE phones, Midea home electronics, Haier goods, etc. all have similar stories of targeting foreign technology, stealing it, rebranding it for the local market while keeping out foreign competition, then using the money from the Chinese monopoly to compete outside of China. Cynical me notes that large corporations are rarely a model of ethics anywhere, but Chinese companies take it to a whole new, government sponsored level. Don't know enough about the Tianjin Sea-Gull company to rule it out, just that it makes me nervous.

Craftsman
    Davosa may have something in the range that you are looking at:

http://www.davosa.com/index.php?id=34&cid=3&L=1

Tissot Visodate?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Longines all day long
    Totaly agree with Dave, Longines Master collection is the way to go. Wounderful white faces with nice texture, along with those blue hands makes this one a winner!
    You might even be able to grab one of the chrono versions within that budget. I used to own one of these, was a great watch, but flipped it to get a speedmaster.

Master
    Oris classic date?

Craftsman
    Just to recap you are looking for a sub $1000 ie. £600 watch and closer to half that if possible. Some of those suggestions are lovely but a bit out if your price range.

Have a look at a Davosa white dialled "dual time". I have the black version and am very pleased with it. Or some of the very similar but cheaper classic three hand watches by Uhr. Not sure of their delivery to USA though. There was a Hamilton GMT II on sales corner recently although silver rather than white dialled. Christopher Ward isn't everyone's cup of tea but if you see something you like their quality, refund guarantee and customer service is great.

Master
    I love my sarb023, both dressy and sporty at the same time. Finish is excellent :)

Here are my suggestions for some white dialed elegance and all ones that I own.

Junghans Max Bill Auto. Absolutely one of my favourite designs and a long time grail for me, no display back though for this one and the standard strap is a bit naff. The most elegant out of the lot.

Stowa Marine Original. Very well made and a nicely finished movement that you can see through the back. This was my wedding day watch along with the Mondaine pocket watch.

Poljot Strela. Another slightly different choice, these are a lovely design that work well with everything. Although I've not had this long it has become a firm favourite.

Master
    The Poljot (and the Mondaine pocket watch) are just sheer class on a real-world budget!

of course..

Couple of Zeno's fit the bill... really like this one.

http://shop.time-design.co.uk/zeno-g...-rom-432-p.asp

I can make you something if you want
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362435631.349040.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362435654.917186.jpg
    And on the lower part of your budget

Quote Originally Posted by Virre583 View Post
    Totaly agree with Dave, Longines Master collection is the way to go. Wounderful white faces with nice texture, along with those blue hands makes this one a winner!
    You might even be able to grab one of the chrono versions within that budget. I used to own one of these, was a great watch, but flipped it to get a speedmaster.

Another vote for Longines!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GFloyd View Post
    Tempted by Sea-Gull. The value and asthetics are what I'm looking for, and they seem to make reliable, attractive movements. The hurdle for me is with Chinese brands in general. I lived in China for several years and am put off by anti-competitive practices I found there, chiefly by open and government-aided theft of EU and US intellectual property as a foundation for Chinese brands. ZTE phones, Midea home electronics, Haier goods, etc. all have similar stories of targeting foreign technology, stealing it, rebranding it for the local market while keeping out foreign competition, then using the money from the Chinese monopoly to compete outside of China. Cynical me notes that large corporations are rarely a model of ethics anywhere, but Chinese companies take it to a whole new, government sponsored level. Don't know enough about the Tianjin Sea-Gull company to rule it out, just that it makes me nervous.
    You can always go for the Sea-Gull 2500 series movement as I believe this is their own Chinese design and not a version of another movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Schuhren View Post
    I can make you something if you want.
    And on the lower part of your budget
    Thank you. You make beautiful watches, I'll PM you for details and pricing.

What a friendly forum. Thanks, all, for the helpful suggestions.

Stowa, Nomos or that Seiko up there for me.

Pm replied

Rado for Me

Hi,

My suggestion and it has a display back!

A