closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New PRS-38 owner - concerned over noise

Apprentice

New PRS-38 owner - concerned over noise

Hi Folks

Have recently taken delivery of my 4th new PRS from Timefactors: the ‘38 Black Shadow, and a very distinctive piece it is. I’m admiring everything about it, including the quilted strap, which I think really sets it off.

However, I’m noticing rotor noise much more than my other watches having the ETA 2836-2 (Eddie confirmed mine is not a 2830). It’s not the faint whirring sound I normally associate with the winding action, but more of a “chinky-chink”. It’s most noticeable when moving in certain ways, like when shaking water off my hands. I can't be certain if it was making the noise when it first arrived, but it's the only Swiss auto in my collection that does it, and it's not suffered any bangs while in my possession. Would it be worth me raising it with Eddie?

Will I still lose my ability to post here if I don’t do it regularly? I'll readily admit I prefer to “lurk” - but then wanted to ask other people's thoughts on the rotor noise in case it indicated a possible fault.

Regards,
    Colin

Craftsman
    You've answered your own question. Ring / email Eddie.

I love the way somebody joins the forum to report a possible problem with their first post instead of contacting me. I get e-mails almost daily querying rotor noise on mechanical watches, usually from people who have only ever owned quartz. I'm sure the forum will resolve this.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

He did say "I’m noticing rotor noise much more than my other watches having the ETA 2836-2." That suggests it's not just an automatic watch newbie issue. However, not being a PRS-38 owner I don't know whether it's unusually noisy or not. My Tudor Big Block sounds like a pocketful of change, and it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    He did say "I’m noticing rotor noise much more than my other watches having the ETA 2836-2." That suggests it's not just an automatic watch newbie issue. However, not being a PRS-38 owner I don't know whether it's unusually noisy or not. My Tudor Big Block sounds like a pocketful of change, and it's fine.
    t
    That's fine but there is a "sticky" in watch talk

***PLEASE DON'T PM ME***

I don't mean never, I just mean don't PM me if it's Time Factors business. If it's forum business then PM is fine but if it's the business side, please keep to Time Factors e-mail
    I know this wasn't a PM but I thought it was clear that the forum is the forum and business is Time Factors.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Apprentice
    Hi Eddie,

As the forum exists my intention had been simply to ask if any other owners of this watch had noticed an unusual level of noise which might indicate such a thing as a model trait. Responses would have guided me either to ignore it or seek your advice. No (intentional) misuse was intended.

Regards,
    Colin
    Last edited by daedalus; 24th August 2015 at 15:09.