closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Eddie’s Charity – some thoughts and comments invited

Eddie’s Charity – some thoughts and comments invited

I think the concept of fund-raising from the forum members was a great idea.

We all benefit from this forum at no cost to ourselves and instead of some form of charge for the facility Mr P elected to set up a charitable arrangement and encouraged us to contribute. Some have already donated and others have set up auctions/sales to fund donations too, but I have to say I’m surprised at the amount of members who haven’t made the effort to contribute as yet.

I’ve no idea how many of us are ‘regular’ members – as opposed to registered but never/rarely visit - but there’s certainly a large majority of users of this forum who haven’t got involved. Even if you exclude the Sales Corner this place is a absolute goldmine of information, advice, assistance and help in all sorts of diverse subjects: of benefit to us all both historically and on-going.

Turning to the SC, the ability to buy and sell in a safe environment makes it a great resource and to do so without any charge is just wonderful: heaven knows how much money has been saved as a result, many, many thousands of pounds for sure.

I would like to think that Eddie’s target would be easily exceeded by contributions to the fund-raising, but for that to happen it will require a lot more members to get involved: to me it seems such a ‘no-brainer’ really, but I am perplexed as to why that doesn’t seem to be happening…

Any thought’s on this?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Errant comma . Guilty as charged m'lud.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Errant comma . Guilty as charged m'lud.
    PMSL!

To answer the Q - It was a no brainer for me.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Agreed on every point Ralphy. I'm a little surprised at the amount of sales taking place on SC that, were they on the bay, would attract a sizeable final value fee. If folks put in even half of what they would pay (maybe 5 percent of the sale price) then the pot would be impressively boosted.

However...

You can't force people to be charitable and everyone's circumstances are different. We have everyone from millionaires to students as members here after all! I do personally think its cheeky and maybe even a little rude for those that sell for free to ignore Eddie's charity completely.

Not sure there is a solution - the message can only get repeated so many times.

183 doesn't sound like a lot of donations, but is anyone aware of the number of active members there are on here?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    183 doesn't sound like a lot of donations, but is anyone aware of the number of active members there are on here?
    Eddie?

545 currently viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post

You can't force people to be charitable
    This at the end of the day is the main point

On the first page of SC there are watches and other items for sale that total Ł50K. On the first page. If it was eBay they would be skimming 5k off that.

I remember analysing the forum stats a couple years ago, when membership was around 3000 think it was. Fact then was there was realistically a "hardcore" couple hundred who'd made more than a few hundred posts and were "daily", the bulk of the members posted only very occasional or were just registered but never active (iirc that was like 75% of numbers).

Short version: I'm guessing the majority of regulars have contributed, we need the newbs to pony up!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Eddie?

545 currently viewing.
    147 lurkers

342 dealers

11 trolls

2 teenagers, and

us lot of regulars

Figures need adjustment for dual ID's, but you get the idea. So, a good effort overall.

Grand Master
    i suspect there are a few, like me, waiting for payday!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    147 lurkers

342 dealers

11 trolls

2 teenagers, and

us lot of regulars

Figures need adjustment for dual ID's, but you get the idea. So, a good effort overall.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I would guess that those who come here a lot,or even reasonably regularly,would be happy to donate. But those that are registered but only come here intermittently or so will not be so inclined. So,of the large amount of registered users,how many are regular and how many just drop in from time to time?

Figures need adjustment for dual IDs
    No adjustment needed Mr. B.

If they're taking up two seats, they can buy two tickets.

It's up to the Eddster

If he wanted to make the forum , or sc 'subscription only' it wouldn't be a bad thing in my book - as far as the forum is concerned . but I don't think doing that might be in his business's best interests ( did I get that comma right ?)

The stats from October 2009, if anyone's interested

Just a little FYI, thought i'd have a quick look into the member stats, i think it's rather revealing of things around here

(figures taken earlier this morning, they have obviously updated since then, and are approx.)

4566 registered members

600 members have 0 posts (13% of members)
    2300 members have <10 posts (50%)

100+ posts - 1000 members (22% of total)
    250+ posts - 600 members (13%)
    500+ posts - 350 members (8%)
    1000+ posts - 200 members (4%)

So half the members have made little or no contribution, and 5% need to get out more

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?92034

If he wanted to make the forum , or sc 'subscription only' it wouldn't be a bad thing in my book - as far as the forum is concerned . but I don't think doing that might be in his business's best interests ( did I get that comma right ?)
    Have you any idea about the comma fat's?
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 27th February 2013 at 21:18. Reason: comma insecurity..........

No , to be honest chris I'm struggling in the comma department

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post

Just a little FYI, thought i'd have a quick look into the member stats, i think it's rather revealing of things around here

(figures taken earlier this morning, they have obviously updated since then, and are approx.)

4566 registered members

So half the members have made little or no contribution, and 5% need to get out more

Gq , just because people don't post , it doe'snt mean they're not making a valid contribution .

4566 registered members

I just did a quick check and came up with this:

7438 members in total

2666 members have visited in the last 14 days

573 have posts of greater than 1000

(Sorry, my brain never can do %'s...)

And as has been said, you don't need to be a regular poster to have found benefit from here.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Banned
    I do charitable things myself and a lot is direct contact,i avoid publicity and if they ask my name i ask for it to be kept quiet.
    it made me chuffed to see someone wearing my clothes donations the other day,though hes never said thank you [i guess he dosent know how].

when i see someone homeless in the cold i allways ask if i can get them a hot drink from a nearby cafe.
    if i park my motorbike in town i will ask one of them to watch for me,i figure it gives them a little feeling of self worth and shows trust.

last winter i was given a hard time and questioned by the police for helping a homeless person i could see was going into shock/hyperthermia.
    the sgt in charge actually said we treat dogs better and i should leave it,to which i said i cant not when its in front of me.
    they did not want to do anything,yet the drunken idiots falling over in the street where somehow worthy of police help.

now ive seen this and having been unable to move or help myself after hospital i want to do what i can.
    the absolute joy it brings the owners and the dogs is just marvelous to behold.

I wont put my name on any list,but i also hope you wont hold that against me,

http://www.caninepartners.org.uk/

i mean a dog doing laundry how good is that?

Last edited by soapy; 27th February 2013 at 21:30.

No , to be honest chris I'm struggling in the comma department
    Man - at least I am not alone!

Other forums I have previously posted on have put great pressure for donations for the running of the forum, Eddie is asking for donations for charitable causes, that is a sign of a humble and generous man and should be rewarded.

Considering the number of transaction on SC and the number of members I was gobsmacked that there were so few contributions. It's non of my business what people do with there money but a fiver each would easily meet Eddies target.

147 lurkers, 342 dealers, 11 trolls, 2 teenagers, and us lot of regulars
    Well, I'm typing now so not a lurker, I'm not a dealer, I'm in my 40s and I'm too newbish to be a regular. Does this mean I have to do something troll-like? Hey, I just did!

Short version: I'm guessing the majority of regulars have contributed, we need the newbs to pony up!
    Done and done! Let's get those numbers up, people!

As with all donations, I think, setting up targets is a little bit ambitious.. we should be grateful to all forum members who have kindly donate.

147 lurkers

342 dealers

11 trolls

2 teenagers, and

us lot of regulars.

Plus one member who owes 400 quid to H4H..

Edited :)
    Last edited by VDG; 28th February 2013 at 00:09.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    I've had over 1000 posts and daily wear a Broadarrow PRS-4 bought when Eddie was still selling them before he lost the legal battle with Omega, so I guess I'm a regular and have been for about six or seven years. But I'm in France, and if I had any money to spare it would go to a French charity like the "Restos du Coeur" (the French food bank for the poor). As it is I have no money to spare and am carefully counting my change. Our 'charity' is buying food for a zillion wild birds and a clan of feral cats that we help through the cold winter (we have an official bird reserve from the national birdwatch federation). I'd guess the people stating they don't need a coin purse as they always pay in large bills and leave their change as a tip because they otherwise would not feel manly enough could spare some for charity... But not everyone on this forum automatically can.

Quote Originally Posted by Fschwep View Post
    As it is I have no money to spare and am carefully counting my change.... I'd guess the people stating they don't need a coin purse as they always pay in large bills and leave their change as a tip because they otherwise would not feel manly enough could spare some for charity... But not everyone on this forum automatically can.
    Exactly. Everyone's circumstances are different. HOWEVER if someone is selling a five grand watch, I'm betting they could spare a tenner from the proceeds. Or a three grand watch. Or an eleven grand watch. Personally, that's what really gets my goat.

Exactly. Everyone's circumstances are different. HOWEVER if someone is selling a five grand watch, I'm betting they could spare a tenner from the proceeds. Or a three grand watch. Or an eleven grand watch. Personally, that's what really gets my goat.
    ill throw in my 2p ( gift aided, of course ). i dont see whats wrong with a 'voluntary' percentage of any sc sale donated (by the seller) to the TZ charity drive, a flat fee of say anything between 2 and 5%. i dont think anyone could or would object to that. i am sure there would be plenty of 'volunteers' to police the donations - ie keep an eye on whether people have paid or not. it wouldnt adversely affect the forum as a whole or sc in particular - in fact, it might improve even improve things. it would also raise a shitload for the charities concerned.

I have to say I am pleased and surprised at the banwidth generosity of our host, all these lovely hi-res pictures, quoted and requoted, links to forum members personal sites, ebay sales, pistonheads classifieds links. I think he is already extremely charitable in the allowances he makes for our use of his site.

I have used other sites where there is a paid for members area that only then opens up these capabilities, but also found these sites tend to die off as the paying members move on/die off!!. So that is not in my experience a succesful solution to this.

I wonder if in this case a forum monintored/policed, sales or trades tax would work to assist Eddie's charity efforts, maybe for all or just for OT items?

Personally I'd be happy to pay a fee to be able to offer items for the consideration of the collected group.

Master
    I never sold a watch on SC, not even a cheap one. I found myself here many years ago when I was looking for info on mil-style watches because I needed a decent watch to replace the only somewhat higher-end watch I ever owned - a Sinn 256 that was supposed to be my 'watch for life' but did not stand up to rough use. I got my Broadarrow from Eddie and later purchased a few other watches from him, never the most expensive ones (PRS-10, Zeno Explorer...). I kept my little collection of half a dozen or so, as I am not a flipper. I usually stick to George&Dragon and the Bear Pit, found some decent straps on Rubber and Nylon. I learned a bit about watches here, and sometimes one finds interesting discussions on other subjects as there are some pretty intelligent people here.
    Over the years, more and more people have become members of this forum primarily to trade on Sales Corner without contributing a lot to the general content except to let us all know that they have such a hard time choosing between various brands of expensive cars. That's OK, but indeed, if they manage to frequently sell thousands worth of items without any percentage going towards running this place, it would seem decent to donate a few pounds, euros, yens or whatever seashells one trades in to one of Eddie's indicated charities.

Banned
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ty-22mm-straps

buy my strap pay direct to Eddies charity push [your name is then on the list] and i will pay the postage to you

Eddie’s Charity – some thoughts and comments invited

I think there's a bit of homework / deadline syndrome involved. For procrastinators like myself, 29 days left is an age when you know all it will take is a couple of minutes.
    Also, as a mainly Tapatalk user, there doesn't seem to be a good way of having a visual reminder like there is on the browser version. Stickies are hidden away and there are no banners. I don't know if there is a solution to this.
    I would send out an all member email reminder one week and one day before the end of the deadline.