closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Be careful with EBay messages, they hold no value to EBay

Be careful with EBay messages, they hold no value to EBay

Another annoying experience on EBay. Hurt my image of the world more than my wallet but still annoying.

Bought Seiko movement cufflinks from a USA seller and received citizen cuff links. Price all in was USD 25 shipped.

Contacted seller who said I could ship back, she would then sent correct item and refund return shipping. As this all took very long I also had to open a case as my option to do so would expire and I had now paid twice and had no item any longer. In the case I indicated seller was helpfull. I also listed in the case I wanted a replacement not a refund.

A few days later my item arrives back in the USA. She then refunds the original item and the case is automatically closed! Might just as well have kept then and given them away.

Called Ebay which is a pain as the computer automatically disconnects you with a message that I've been refunded....

eBay staff confirms all promises made to me via official eBay messaging. I got the sellers number but apart from that they do nothing. They won't block the account or urge the seller to do as promised. They urge me to leave a negative comment and promise to evaluate sellers monthly. Great, as if that brings me any relief.

Bottom line I lost a small amount (to me the amount itself doesn't bug me, more the lack if ethics). Might have been naive. Just wanted to warn others for more expensive deals to be very carefull in trusting what is said in eBay messaging as obviously you can promise X an deliver Y without eBay caring.

I feel for you but not sure ebay can make someone send an item, but what they can do is make sure you have the refund for the return postage.

Have you asked ebay/paypal to refund the postage? not sure what their policy is on refunding return postage but as that was promised it should be something they can do.

Be careful with EBay messages, they hold no value to EBay

eBay policy is that buyer pays for return shipping. eBay policy is also that you try to resolve with seller first, which I did, this was when seller promised to refund.

eBay won't refund the return shipping now, what I get. But they could urge the seller to live up to the promise by blocking the account. But hey, they earn on sales so why would they.

As long as they get their transaction fee , that's all that matters ...
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Do you mean that the site that keeps allowing people to sell blatantly fake items without doing anything lacks ethic?

Quote Originally Posted by .olli. View Post
    Do you mean that the site that keeps allowing people to sell blatantly fake items without doing anything lacks ethic?
    Indeed! Ethics doesn't mix well with commerce.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Master
    That's quite unfair , puts me off buying from overseas :(

Sorry to hear of your misfortune with eBay.... Incidentally, if you're still after some watch movement cufflinks, I can help you out (no affiliation with the US seller, and mine are probably better quality anyhow....) Special TZ-UK discount for you lot as well! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRS2113 View Post
    Sorry to hear of your misfortune with eBay.... Incidentally, if you're still after some watch movement cufflinks, I can help you out (no affiliation with the US seller, and mine are probably better quality anyhow....) Special TZ-UK discount for you lot as well! ;)
    Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    Another annoying experience on EBay. Hurt my image of the world more than my wallet but still annoying.

Bought Seiko movement cufflinks from a USA seller and received citizen cuff links. Price all in was USD 25 shipped.

Contacted seller who said I could ship back, she would then sent correct item and refund return shipping. As this all took very long I also had to open a case as my option to do so would expire and I had now paid twice and had no item any longer. In the case I indicated seller was helpfull. I also listed in the case I wanted a replacement not a refund.

A few days later my item arrives back in the USA. She then refunds the original item and the case is automatically closed! Might just as well have kept then and given them away.

Called Ebay which is a pain as the computer automatically disconnects you with a message that I've been refunded....

eBay staff confirms all promises made to me via official eBay messaging. I got the sellers number but apart from that they do nothing. They won't block the account or urge the seller to do as promised. They urge me to leave a negative comment and promise to evaluate sellers monthly. Great, as if that brings me any relief.

Bottom line I lost a small amount (to me the amount itself doesn't bug me, more the lack if ethics). Might have been naive. Just wanted to warn others for more expensive deals to be very carefull in trusting what is said in eBay messaging as obviously you can promise X an deliver Y without eBay caring.
    It's typical of ebay to refuse to accept liability for any problems that occur while using its site. I hope one day they get taken down and that they have to change their policy, which currently seems to be (as someone else said) "We don't care as long as we get the listing and transaction fees".

It is things like this which mean that I'm reluctant to do any business on ebay even if I would make more cash than selling elsewhere.

I had a similar experience but with a phone. The seller had over 900 feedback score with 100%. When I got it I found that it wouldn't hold a charge very long. I took it to a repair shop and they found water damage and it was economical to repair. I contacted the seller who blamed the cause on me and flaunting his perfect feedback score. I went through his feedbacks and found that he bought the phone only a few weeks earlier. To make a long story short I was able to trace the phone back through 5 sellers all of whom only kept the phone for a few weeks at most. Each in turn just passed on the trouble to the next unsuspecting buyer. I opened a dispute and within hours the seller refunded me and promised to pay for the return shipping. And did he? What do you think?

All in all I had no problems with ebay though. Best advice is... well it's basically a lottery out there. You takes your chances.

eBay is a minefield. Had similar issues, sometime easier to walk away. Mine was only a few pounds. Not worth the hassle.

Craftsman
    have to add that most of the customer service staff at ebay are pretty robotic in their responses. never liked to deal with ebay as a company.