closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What is your watch cleaning protocol and procedures?

What is your watch cleaning protocol and procedures?

Having recently started to get my collection together and finding myself with a few watches, I realised I've never actually cleaned a watch before (other than a quick rub over with a soft cloth). So I was wondering how should you take care of your watch properly and keep it looking good. Also how often do you actually clean your watch? Every night ? Every week? Once a year?

I know there are guides out there on the net. But was wondering what you guys actually do and how often.

Thanks for any info.
    Last edited by Thorien; 23rd February 2013 at 17:58.

Journeyman
    Sometimes I rub them with a soft cloth - that is it.

Careful, this is getting close to parody territory. I actually use a product called Common Sense, and if you've not got any, you can find it at most corner shops.

Clean 'em when they're dirty. If it's a waterproof watch, take it off when you do the washing up and the water's not full of carrots. Give it a quick scrub and a dry. If it's not waterproof, then just use a soft glasses cleaning cloth.

Lol. Ok. But I've read a thread recently about ultrasonic cleaners so I guess some of you guys use those. Also I was considering buying a soft toothbrush and cleaning solution. I was just wondering if it was worth the effort and how many of you actually bother. Or whether just stick with the old soft cloth and quick wash.

So far I guess it's not to bother. Having said that some of my watches cost me what to me is not an insignificant amount of money. So wanted to know what the best way to look after my collection would be?

Stainless steel bracelets come out well from the dishwasher. Provided you remove the watch head first...

Most of mine are water resistant so I clean the one I'm wearing with a soft nail brush whilst in the shower.

Master
    Bracelets in that ultrasonic bath that Aldi sell.

Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    Most of mine are water resistant so I clean the one I'm wearing with a soft nail brush whilst in the shower.
    That'll do, too - I've got two young kids and my bracelets are often clogged with vomit and carrot. So yeah, just wear them in the shower!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don't tend to wash any of my watches save for my work watch which can get quite rank. I chuck it in the ultra sonic cleaner (movement removed) maybe every 2-3 months.

I clean mine with those little squares opticians give you for cleaning the lens of your glasses. For tougher jobs, I have an old retired toothbrush I use for cleaning around lugs, crowns, chrono pushers, and bracelet links/clasps. I might even use a bit of household cleaner ("409") on the toothbrush to remove grime, especially useful on newly-acquired vintage watches.

Anyone use the Veraet watch spray?
    Is it better than just a fairly liquid solution?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by roys View Post
    Sometimes I rub them with a soft cloth - that is it.
    I think he meant your watches mate...

I stick my work G-Shock in the dishwasher.

^ lol!

I was talking about watches

Dishwasher sounds a bit drastic though!

Last time mine had a wash was a dip in the Atlantic!!

Oral-B sensitive and some dove soap!

...nah seriously an old toothbrush and a bit of soap works wonders, but it also does lightly polish brushed finishes so don't do it all the time. Once a year job unless you are a dirty bstard etc! It is good to get into the habit of it when buying 2nd hand watches. Check integrity of seals prior to going nuts with the cleaning though.

Apprentice
    I wear only dive watches. After my watch rotation, I will wash them in the sink with soap water and a tooth brush and brush all the gunk out of the bracelet and back of the case before I put the watch back in storage. When it's ready to be worn next time, it is all ready to go.

I swim and then shower in most of my watches, so they don't need cleaning very often, but I can get a bit on an accumilation of soap gunge in bracelet joints etc. A Sonicare-type toothbrush seems to do a really good job on getting rid of that - which I suppose is a mild ultrasonic.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    I think he meant your watches mate...

I stick my work G-Shock in the dishwasher.

Master
    Sketchleys dry cleaning used them since 1969 never had a problem.
    paul.

Sometimes after putting a watch on I go back to the bathroom and use my wet towel to clean it. Soft enough to not damage, the moist helps and the texture makes sure it reaches corners and ridges.

A soft toothbrush & soap every now and again :)

In the past soft toothbrush and soap, recently bought an ultrasonic bath from Aldi.

Master
    On a related point, isn't it interesting how variable the state of cleanliness is of second-hand watches when you receive them? I've unpacked some that were absolutely immaculate, and others that smelt strongly of dog & stale fags with caked accretions of Gawd knows what in the nooks and crannies.

It's not only amateur sellers who vary, incidentally. A while ago I received a £3k+ watch from a well-known and respected 2nd hand outlet (who had better remain nameless) which was excellent in every way except for being b....y filthy.

It does colour one's view of the whole transaction and the likelihood of wanting a repeat performance, is all I can say...

The head just with a soft cloth. The bracelets, I just lay them in a water bath with some soap for a wile.

Recently (couple weeks ago) I received a watch that I have bought from a well known member of the Dutch watch community. Well, the first what I deed was cleaning all hes "DNA residues" of the bracelet... disgusting! I'm sure that he never(!!) cleaned that bracelet, WTF.... :D

Cheers!

Glenn
    Last edited by Glenn-BE; 24th February 2013 at 17:26.

I just dive with 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    I've got two young kids and my bracelets are often clogged with vomit and carrot.
    Mine too, but worryingly I've no kids to blame...

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    I recommend eating less carrot.

For a preloved ebay bargain I take the watch off the bracelet. The bracelet and springbars go onto a tub of white spirit for 5 days and I'll scrub them with a toothbrush once a day. The head gets cleaned with a babywipe then scrubbed with a toothbrush. Finally after rinsing the bracelet in water I give everything a buff with an old silver cloth.
    Last edited by snedboy; 24th February 2013 at 23:59.