closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One expensive watch or two or more less expensive watches?

Journeyman

Question One expensive watch or two or more less expensive watches?

Hi all, I’m new to the forums. I’ve been reading through past posts for a couple of days, coveting most of the watches I’ve seen posted and loving the enthusiasm of their owners :)

I’ve never owned an expensive watch before but I’m about to turn 50 and figured now was as good a time as any to take the plunge. Unfortunately, my budget is fairly modest – I’m looking to spend around £2,000 - £2,500 and would prefer new so this does restrict my choice.

I can’t decide if I should buy one very nice watch, something like a Breitling Superocean 42 or a couple of less expensive watches – the Hamilton X Wind and the Sinn U1 Diver are particularly nice looking timepieces. I did try to get a discount off the RRP for the Breitling but my local AD didn’t seem very keen, I guess there is less wiggle-room on the cheaper models?

What would you guys do? Blow the budget on one expensive watch or go for two or more cheaper watches?

I would blow it all on one. One great watch beats two good watches every time.

One expensive watch or two or more less expensive watches?

I would go for one if new. But I wouldn't buy new :)

Down to what you like really.

If you can get two watches you like in your budget, why buy one you don't?

In your case, personally, I'd buy the one (The Breitling), but if you prefer one or both the others, the decision is made!

If you like all 3... Get the dearer one, you'll find the money for each of the cheaper ones sometime.

I can see the appeal of buying new, but your money goes much further if you'll consider 'previously cherished'

M.

If you were going to go for the Breitling, I would say go for a Superocean Heritage. Those are just great for either sport or dress (nice changeout for 3 types of bands as well; leather, Ocean Racer rubber strap or Ocean Classic mesh).

They have a 38mm, 42mm and 46mm for options. And you could go Chrono if you wanted (I prefer the non-chrono as I think it has a much cleaner look).

This is the 46

If your local AD won't play ball on a discount you could always consider Swiss Watches Direct - you can currently get a Breitling Superocean Heritage 42 on mesh for £2385 - that's a saving on RRP of about £750!!

Simon

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    If you were going to go for the Breitling, I would say go for a Superocean Heritage. Those are just great for either sport or dress (nice changeout for 3 types of bands as well; leather, Ocean Racer rubber strap or Ocean Classic mesh).

They have a 38mm, 42mm and 46mm for options. And you could go Chrono if you wanted (I prefer the non-chrono as I think it has a much cleaner look).

This is the 46

That is very classy. Good choice but for me i'd go for the 42mm.

To the OP, I have gone round in a rather large circle with flipping watches until I have found the two I like. One I use for actual diving and beater (Seiko BFK) and the other is my best smart casual an Omega Seamaster 300 Electric Blue it's size and slim case tick all my boxes. So far I am more than happy with my lot.
    Kev
    Last edited by bubblehead; 20th February 2013 at 17:45.

Re: One expensive watch or two or more less expensive watches?

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    If your local AD won't play ball on a discount you could always consider Swiss Watches Direct - you can currently get a Breitling Superocean Heritage 42 on mesh for £2385 - that's a saving on RRP of about £750!!

Simon
    Their prices seem competetive - are they legit?

Master
    I always try to get the best watch I can afford at the time, and if you buy lightly used you will only lose 10-15% when you sell or flip it so even tho the initial outlay may be large the true cost is only a few hundred usually.

Buy the watch you most like and want. Then if you want another watch for a different use/look buy something that your funds will allow and that you are happy with at that budget....ie 'the expensive one' and a decent, cheerful beater. I think this is a lot better than having two watches you are not so happy with.

one imo - you'll end up buying two and then selling them both to buy 'the one'

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    They've got themselves quite a good reputation and are definitely legitimate. They're also about four miles down the road from me so I'd be happy to go down and talk to them if anyone on here had a problem with them.

I'd go for one at this time. If you spend any time on here it'll only be a matter of time before you get the others!!

Journeyman
    Thank you for all your comments. The overwhelming consensus seems to be to get one watch and I am still leaning towards a Breitling, the SOH is very nice, a little more formal looking that the SO but I only have smallish wrists and anything bigger than 42 swamps my hand. But I could definately see myself wearing this:

I think the leather makes it it a little more casual looking but still retains the class. My only concern is that the SOH is at RRP is over my budget and I am a little nervous about using a GM supplier such as Swisswatchesdirect. However, reading through the forums, peoples opinion of them seem generally positive and I would have the protection of using a CC. Decisions, decisions

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I'd go for one at this time. If you spend any time on here it'll only be a matter of time before you get the others!!
    Lol I can see that already- it's what made me think about maybe buying a couple of lower prices watches, there are so many nice mid-priced watches from brands that are not generally known. It would be nice to have something on your wrist that's a little less commonplace than the well known brands but is still a quality watch.

I must confess it does lead you to question your motives for buying a watch, are you content to buy a nice quality watch that only you and watch enthusiasts will recognise as such or do you want the assurance that it will be immediately recognised as a luxury brand, Rolex etc by your friends and colleagues?

Journeyman
    Apologies in advance for the stupid question, do you mean literally changing the strap yourself to suit the occasion/mood? I would be worried about damaging something - is there a toolkit for doing this?

Master
    hi mate and welcome aboard. I wouldn't call your budget modest - most people would never spend 2.5k on a watch. I'm with the heard on this and would get one. I can also understand wanting new for your first piece.
    good luck with your hunt - and remember sales are always good for a nice discount (if you can handle waiting for one!)

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by brahman View Post
    Apologies in advance for the stupid question, do you mean literally changing the strap yourself to suit the occasion/mood? I would be worried about damaging something - is there a toolkit for doing this?
    You can get a strap changing tool and change the strap yourself whenever you want to. Lots of people here change straps more often than their underwear!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Definitely one good one rather than two medium ones

ATB

Jon

Journeyman
    Tough one...have had a similar dilemma.
    I guess it depends. If you already have a few watches in your collection go for 1 more expensive one. If not go for 2...

I'm in the minority here but I'd probably go for a couple of very lightly used watches. I'm always worried wearing a new watch as you know it's going to pick up some marks and that can almost be a reason for not wearing it or keeping it just for best. With a lightly used watch I don't have these concerns at all. Also two watches will leave you with something to wear when you start flipping!!!
    I have the U1 and X-wind you mention in the original post but it sounds like these will possibly be a bit big at 44mm else they are both great pieces (U1 does wear a bit smaller than it's size suggests, the X-Wind definitely does not).

Journeyman
    Personally I'd go for one good watch, then get saving for the next one.

Craftsman
    Go for one. Then at least there is no choice in the morning on 'which one to wear' ;)

Apprentice

hard decision

as a collector go for the best one if you already have some watches, as a normal wearer, pick the one you love.

Master

I pretty much sold my entire collection to get one. Believe me it's better.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    I've bought 3 watches from them. They come with a legit manufacture's warranty too (which I successfully used). I've had great service from them to be honest, and they're usually the first place I look to because discounts are out of the question here in Switzerland.

As for the OP, I would say go for "the one". I wasted money on Tissots and Steinharts which rarely get any wrist time since I moved up soon after to brands like Breitling, IWC and Omega.
    Last edited by Rano85; 20th February 2013 at 22:15.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd go for one. Remember as well that getting a 20% discount on a lot of the big brands as achievable if you shop around so that would make your budget around £3000 RRP. There are a lot of great watches for that sort of money.

Craftsman
    I'll go against the flow and say get a couple of watches. Whilst there are a few watches that can look right for most occasions I prefer the freedom of choosing a watch to match my mood and what I am doing.

In life you are often limited to only one of the important stuff- (wives, houses and cars spring to mind) so having some aspect of your life which has an element of choice in it has to be a good thing.

I'd buy two £2k plus watches - but used and for your budget or less.
    It's just a matter of time...

Thank you for all your comments. The overwhelming consensus seems to be to get one watch and I am still leaning towards a Breitling, the SOH is very nice, a little more formal looking that the SO but I only have smallish wrists and anything bigger than 42 swamps my hand. But I could definately see myself wearing this:

I think the leather makes it it a little more casual looking but still retains the class. My only concern is that the SOH is at RRP is over my budget and I am a little nervous about using a GM supplier such as Swisswatchesdirect. However, reading through the forums, peoples opinion of them seem generally positive and I would have the protection of using a CC. Decisions, decisions
    Beautiful choice! I love that combo. What you will want to do is to try on the SOH with the leather strap and deployant. Some folks are not crazy about the deployant as to how the underside of the deployant "hits" the wrist.

You can either purchase it from the AD with the strap of your choice or go with a couple and swap them out. I just had the leather changed out today for the mesh for a different look. It can be done by using the Bergeron 6767f watch strap tool, however. You just need to make sure to use the watch pins with the chamfer to make sure the 6767f can "push" the pin onto the watch casing without marking and slipping.

i think its best to start with a few inexpensive watches , and then as you get to know what you like and dont like about each , when you buy the more expensive pieces it will be the right decision

Craftsman
    My view for what is worth (as a one watch owner!) - buy the one you like best (and you can afford) - if you can afford and want another one, buy that too.

Master
    TBH £2,500 new will just get you a generic ETA movement from a so-so brand which won't hold any value. I'd go 2nd hand with Omega Speedmaster 'man on the moon' and a mid-size Omega Seamaster quartz

One 'quality' watch rather than two lower quality watches

I need only the best

Master
    One good watch that you will enjoy and not two that you will regret later!

Master
    I would go just for the one.Its up to you what brand or new or used.

If you want to have more than one then i would still use most of the budget on an expensive watch and then just treat yourself to a Seiko/Casio watch for day to day use.

I have had numerous expensive watches and i am now down to just three.

My main watch (Omega for me) i tend to keep around the same budget you have and the other two are just beaters to use/flip etc.

Good luck and the Breitling does look nice.

I agree with the "go for one" option. Although don't rule out a used. If patient you could pick up a mint condition used example with full box and papers. It's not unusual to find a used watch that is only a couple of months old and has sat in a box or only been worn once or twice. If you get one like that the original owner has taken a bit part of the depreciation for you and £2000 would give you many options.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Don't buy new mate. Your throwing money away. If you buy an omega PO, Datejust or a Speedie your watch will be a classic with nothing but rising value. Your 2.5k almost gets you into decent watch territory but not quite at the AD. You could buy a reduced speedie, a Longines or Sinn but non of these are really of the caliber that's available used but not abused.

If vote for a Speedmaster, can't go wrong and if you are adamant it has to be new, find a couple of hundred extra and barter like mad!

Pembers from This forum recently picked up a 2 week old Explorer 1 39mm for a great price, which just shows that bargains are there to be had. Goldsmiths are loosing their Rolex Dealership and do sell off watches cheap when they are returned under the 14 day return thing so shop around and snare the watch you want.
    Last edited by jrpippen; 21st February 2013 at 12:09.

Journeyman
    You can either purchase it from the AD with the strap of your choice or go with a couple and swap them out. I just had the leather changed out today for the mesh for a different look. It can be done by using the Bergeron 6767f watch strap tool, however. You just need to make sure to use the watch pins with the chamfer to make sure the 6767f can "push" the pin onto the watch casing without marking and slipping.
    It does look lovely with the mesh, I think swapping straps is the way to go, certainly changes the whole look of the watch. Thanks for the info on the Bergeon - still not sure I would have the confidence to do it myself though :)

Blog Entries
    The Sinn U1 is just as good and"high end" a watch as the Breitling.
    So, if it isn't the looks you desperately want, save yourself the money and buy two watches.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I'd buy two £2k plus watches - but used and for your budget or less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    I agree with the "go for one" option. Although don't rule out a used. If patient you could pick up a mint condition used example with full box and papers. It's not unusual to find a used watch that is only a couple of months old and has sat in a box or only been worn once or twice. If you get one like that the original owner has taken a bit part of the depreciation for you and £2000 would give you many options.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrpippen View Post
    Don't buy new mate. Your throwing money away.
    Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post
    I always try to get the best watch I can afford at the time, and if you buy lightly used you will only lose 10-15% when you sell or flip it so even tho the initial outlay may be large the true cost is only a few hundred usually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marios View Post
    I would go for one if new. But I wouldn't buy new :)
    A lot of members are advising to buy used - my reasons for stipulating new are more to do with a lack of experience with the used market than anything else, I wouldn't know if I was buying a fake or not or what my options were if the watch turned out to be faulty. I appreciate a lot of you use the SC here for sales between trusted members but I wont have access for a couple of months and I didn't want to wait that long. I would say used was more the domain of someone with some experience of buying and selling and with more of an understanding of the value of the bewildering array of timepieces out there.

Get the one that sings to you the most

It does look lovely with the mesh, I think swapping straps is the way to go, certainly changes the whole look of the watch. Thanks for the info on the Bergeon - still not sure I would have the confidence to do it myself though :)
    With the Bergeron and a loupe, it is relatively easy. What you will want to do is to practice getting the angle correct and the best way to do that is on a beater watch. It will most likely not have the chamfer points, so you can get good practice at releasing the pin from the watch body. The Breitling will have a better pin with the chamfer on it, so it will give you a better point for release of the pin.

Master
    Don't judge the quality by the price.

Look at design, build, finish and specification.

If the one you like is £500 why spend £2k?

Cheers

Grand Master
    I agree with many of the comments in that price doesnt equal quality theres quite a few like Frank Muller that cost a fortune but are just utter crap but the buyers are impressed by what they cost rather than the fit, form, and function.

Whether you buy 1 or 2 or 100 watches dont let the price they should be influence the decision
    RIAC

Get one that you adore and wear it all the time. I have a few watches, but almost always wear my PAM. The others are perfectly decent watches but, when I look at my PAM, I pick that one out and leave the others where they are.

I might change my view in a year or so, but until then I'd rather have one watch which I adore than two which are both okay.

Edited to add: buy the best you can afford (or, alternatively, spend what you have to to get the one you want) then spend another £100-£150 on a Seiko diver for those times when you want to keep your "best" watch safe.
    Last edited by Zigster; 21st February 2013 at 23:15. Reason: Added something

Master
    I bought six watches instead of one...

Journeyman
    I'd say the obvious answer is two expensive watches.