closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Do any of your guys display your watches?

Craftsman

Do any of your guys display your watches?

I've just moved house and after huge renovations I've got myself a bit of a man-cave. It's got my guitar, piano (which I can't play yet :)) sofa, bookshelf etc ... no tv screen yet as I'm thinking it may be a place of quiet and a chill-out den rather than a movie room. Anyway, I've got a display cabinet which will have a few model F1 cars and some other nik-naks ... this got me thinking that it's a real shame I can't display my watches in there as well. I've got about 15 in total, a couple of Rolex, a Panerai, Omega, Sinn etc as well as some Seikos and Casios, they'd look great if they were all on stands but I've shyed away from doing this in the past due to security.

Has anyone done this? Or do you all lock them away in a safe? Its not a room that Jo public or tradies will ever be going in as it's out the back of the house but the main concern would be if we got burgled. Any secure way to display them?

edit: Title should read "you guys" not "your" :)
    Last edited by edfuller; 18th February 2013 at 04:12.

Journeyman
    Nope, never. Have no need for make explanations. My interest is not a secret, but its absolutly no joy to tell someone not appriciate....

- - - Updated - - -

Master
    Never felt the need to. You have got this wonderful forum to show off your pieces.

Master
    Nope. Don't think I'd do that to be honest. My collection displays in my head, only. LOL

watch box has a glass lid but that is about it. box in bedrooom or locked cupboard when away.

Journeyman
    They don't call it a "safe" for nothing, I would never tempt fate by having them out on display.

Master
    My late father used to display canarys but you would look a bit silly carrying watches around in cages.
    paul.

Journeyman

Never felt the need to. You have got this wonderful forum to show off your pieces.

+1

Journeyman

My late father used to display canarys but you would look a bit silly carrying watches around in cages.<br />
    paul.

But you would have attention for shure :-)

Ikea do a load of different glass display cabinets, i have my star wars and transformer collectables in them. they can be lit as well, perfect for you!

Master
    We don't have enough space for a display, but it would be nice to show them off- I do enjoy looking at my admittedly modest collection.

That is sad and pathetic. Having watches on show? How narcissistic.

Anyway, it wouldn't leave enough room to display your model caravans.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post

Bit harsh

I can see the logic behind it, although not sure I would do it myself.

Before I get death threats and a deluge of abuse, it would appear that I need to point out the intended irony in my previous post.
    Accusing someone of being narcissistic whilst admitting to having a display of model caravans was supposed to be of humorous bent.

And I really do have a display of model caravans, which gives the post a more worrying direction.

Craftsman
    Model caravans? And you're calling me sad? :)

Responses are as expected to be fair, i guess i wont be doing as much for the security aspect as anything. I do think they make nice display pieces though so its a shame to have to lock them away.

Master
    I think they would look good on display. We do buy them because we like the look of them too don't we? ok, I know there are a few of you out there that buy them for "investment" but if anything I think That is a bit sad.

Put them on display and enjoy them.

I used to have a few on display and would always attract comment as it is unusual, if you're proud of them, show them off.

Master
    Display is optional here...

Cheers

Banned
    leave the most expensive ones in the safe and put the others in a display box on your shelf.. i have only some medium expensive watches and they rest comfortably in a winder on the shelf. some people get interested, some dont give a damn :)

Master
    I think its cool to display it, security issues aside. I know that Buben & Zorweg offers some very nice winders which would be a shame if it was in a safe.

If I lived in the penthouse or a very secure development I think I would display it in a very cool winder or osmething.

Blog Entries
    Nope.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Nope.

Daddel.
    +1. Don't even show them to my kids. Most of them are at the bank anyway.

Menno

My jewelry box has a top display section for watches, that's about as close to display as mine get.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    +1. Don't even show them to my kids. Most of them are at the bank anyway.

Menno

What's the point of getting a nice watch if you keep it at the bank?-)

I wouldn't put mine on display. Security is not much of a concern, but I wouldn't like to explain them to friends and colleagues who visit.

Yes sort of,

top of 2nd landing in a glass cabinet which holds my watch boxes.Not secure but thats what insurance is for.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
    My jewelry box has a top display section for watches, that's about as close to display as mine get.
    Psssssstt...............we don't have jewelry boxes on here, just watch boxes . The only person I know who owns a Jewelry box is my missus .

Quote Originally Posted by LuvWatch View Post
    Psssssstt...............we don't have jewelry boxes on here, just watch boxes . The only person I know who owns a Jewelry box is my missus .
    Well, it's this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3604771823...84.m1423.l2649

I guess it's more of a watch box. But I use the bottom for a couple of cufflinks, as well as spares. :)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mine live on the shelf in the living room, I have two winders in there as well. In always playing with them.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Never. Most of my watches don't even stay at my house.

Craftsman
    It's starting to get boring, but no. I already display the watch that I'm wearing that day... on my wrist

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    Never. Most of my watches don't even stay at my house.
    Same here. Just one or two of my 'nice' pieces are at home at any one time.

It's just too big a security risk to display them.

However, if you don't mind that, I see nothing wrong with displaying them. You're proud of them, you can show them off.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post

Stupid comment!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I always have mine insured though, so actually if they were nicked if get more for them than id manage on sc!

Oh dear......................................
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I used to have a rather large straight-up display cabinet with winders. It looked really neat, and I enjoyed looking at the watches in it. Displaying my watches was never meant to be for others. It was just for me (especially since it was in my bedroom). But I don't use it anymore. Frankly, I was always nervous if I had tradespeople in the place, or even when the cleaner was in that room. Sad, but really, it's just asking for trouble.
    Last edited by o u t a t i m e; 18th February 2013 at 22:34.

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Stupid comment!
    It's not that stupid. Could I refer you to the explanatory notes in post#14, and the OP's response in post #15.

Displaying

I would love to display my watches in a nice glass winder/display cabinet , however burglars will not allow me .

If you feel safe and comfortable enough, do it !

@ unclealec: classy response, mate :)

Oh, and all my watches are tucked away in a wardrobe, but they are in see-through boxes so I can see them all when I take the boxes out which I rather like...

Simon

Mine are well hidden away thanks very much.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by cristos71 View Post
    They don't call it a "safe" for nothing, I would never tempt fate by having them out on display.
    +1, there are more than enough posts about burglaries, stolen watches etc.

Don't take the risk.
    I keep most at the bank, in a vault, some at home. One on the wrist, the rest in the safe.

Like it in a box with a display glass, so I could admire and fondle them anytime i need.
    I would however dream to have a room to myself, with a large display, full of watches. But thats just a fantasy (if i get rich enough)

For now a 12 slot watch case will do. Problem is when start filling it up, and then you need a bigger one.

Winston

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper View Post
    Display is optional here...

Cheers
    That is absolutely fantastic!

Regards,
    Adam

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jrpippen View Post
    Mine live on the shelf in the living room, I have two winders in there as well. In always playing with them.
    Same here. Honestly, I never saw the point in keeping my watches in the safe deposit box at the bank -- I wear them, after all.

Now, would I actually go out of my way to properly display them? Probably not; again, I wear them and I like to be able to get at them, which might be a bit of a pain if they were behind glass and each arranged just so on individual stands. Still, if that's what floats your boat, go for it; after all, this hobby is about putting a smile on your face.

Regards,
    Adam

Craftsman
    I am with the majority and keeping my small collection in my safe with the one out on my wrist.

If I was to display the watches I would have a problem as I would want to see them running at all times. Also I couldn't be ar$ed trying to keep them running while on display so in the safe they will remain.

Craftsman
    just came across this thread...!!

why would ANYONE possibly want to display their watches..?

I find that a little weird...

I don't think ladies display their jewellery...??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oymd View Post

I don't think ladies display their jewellery...??

Wrong there..they most certainly do, just like models on a runway. You don't notice but every woman who walks past them notice because they make sure of it. You need to have a talk with your girlfriend or wife or both.

Would never display them, then my wife might notice that I have more than two watches:-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mnielse View Post
    Would never display them, then my wife might notice that I have more than two watches:-)
    That would be my main consideration too. Although when questioned by SWMBO on the matter I remind her how many handbags she has.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    Wrong there..they most certainly do, just like models on a runway. You don't notice but every woman who walks past them notice because they make sure of it. You need to have a talk with your girlfriend or wife or both.
    yes...know exactly what u mean there....but that's displaying jewelery ON YOUR BODY, which is fine, just like scratching your chin every TWO SECONDS when trying to make every one notice your new shiny watch...on your WRIST....

:)

but displaying your watches in a cabinet etc....is with all due respect to the others, very weird IMHO...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oymd View Post
    yes...know exactly what u mean there....but that's displaying jewelery ON YOUR BODY, which is fine, just like scratching your chin every TWO SECONDS when trying to make every one notice your new shiny watch...on your WRIST....

:)

but displaying your watches in a cabinet etc....is with all due respect to the others, very weird IMHO...
    i dont think its weird. if you like watches, whats wrong with putting them on display for the viewing pleasure for yourself and others who might like to see it?