closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Pseudo-Ruhla ETA Automatic

Pseudo-Ruhla ETA Automatic

any info. about these watches?they look very convincing but sell on e bay at very low cost, so i'm wondering whats the catch? if there is any?

regards
    Itai

Didn't Warlock have one?

Master
    Yes, Ron, I believe Tom did. He may still have it, too...

Oh, Worlok....

Master
    I think so. Abraxas had one too but he flipped it. The general opinion on these sems to be that they are OK but you get what you pay for.

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"
    I have just now finished working with one of these very watches. The case is a very nice stainless steel case with a domed mineral crystal. The bead blasted finish is well done. A big improvement over the real East German Ruhlas with their base metal case, and cheap quartz movement.

They are big:

The watch on the left is a MIL-W-46374B (Hamilton) and the movement on the right wears the original dial and hands (but the minute hand was repainted white.)

The case is 52mm lug-to-lug, 45 mm wide and 15 mm thick, it sits on a 24 mm wide strap. (sorry about the glare)

The original dial and hand has so-so luminous material, unless you get the ones withthe CWC style dial and hands, the Type 2 style is so weak you can hardly make out the hours, and the bezel index was not luminated. I corrected those problems.

The movementis a standard grade ETA 2824-2, although some of the watches I have seen from him have Incabloc shock protection. This one is not actually the one in the psuedo-Ruhla but a good representative example. (sometime you get a nickel plated one.)

Now, all I need to find is someone that makes a NATO 24 mm wide and put in some solid case bars, the origional ones look to thin, even though they are 1.8 mm diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by Grath
    I think so. Abraxas had one too but he flipped it. The general opinion on these sems to be that they are OK but you get what you pay for.
    I never had one but it matters not. I understand these latter ones are much better than the original East German output but nothing much to speak about. Especially when you compare the work to the stuff that Mr Yao, or Eddie, plus others bring out.

john
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    I never had one but it matters not. I understand these latter ones are much better than the original East German output but nothing much to speak about. Especially when you compare the work to the stuff that Mr Yao, or Eddie, plus others bring out.

john
    unfair comparison due to the vast price difference of the stated watches you reference.

Vast price difference?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

john
    Oh, my bad. You had the Rayrus not the Rayla. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Vast price difference?

Eddie
    $170.00 USD versus $450.00+, thus "vast" is accurate.

I've had one for a good while and have to say that even though it wasn't that expensive, it still costs roughly the same as a Seiko 007 and isn't anywhere near that watch in terms of fit and finish.

Added to that, even though I've only worn it a few (less than 20) times, the crown/tube threads have become stripped - and I'm pretty careful about such things. To add insult to injury I've got one of Ray's £25 CWC-style quartz divers and the threads are absolutely fine after continued use and abuse - go figure!

I'm afraid I can't really recommend it as a beater/everyday watch. Bezel is too sloppy and tinny and lume is pretty average to weak at best. On the plus side, it's a pretty impressive looking beast, but my considered opinion would be to leave it alone and save the money towards something substantially better.

Quote Originally Posted by ticktock
    Vast price difference?

Eddie
    I have several watches much less than $450.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by ticktock
    Vast price difference?

Eddie
    I have several watches much less than $450.

Eddie

Splendid.

Craftsman
    Personally, I refuse to purchase chinese made watches. My experiences were all very negative, even if I was not looking for fakes. The chinese seem to have a marked mindset of manufaturing that is not compatible with mine.

For ease of mind I would save some more £, ? or $ and go Timefactors.
    (I only wish Timefactors came up with a saphire crystal - with black wheel date - PRS 14).

The case of the Pseudo-Ruhla does look nice, though... :wink:

Trust me: I´ve spent more that I will admit on chinese junk while daring to make silk purses out of sows ears...

The bezel rotation on mine was utter crap. I ended up removing the bezel insert and supergluing the bezel on so that it wouldn't pop off. Now it's a sort of industrial looking watch but I don't wear it much because I am usually wearing the Dreadnought, the Steelfish, or the Divingstar......

The case is pretty solid and mine keeps good time. The hand lume sucks. The crystal is mineral.

I know Eddie did the DN and has a lot of watches on his plate but a real Euro/German/Swiss "ruhla" homage with metal movt holder and perhaps the antimage stuff and sapphire (and a real bezel) would be a real winner in my book. ;-) I love the 24mm lugs and the lugs are great on that design with the drilled lug holes and do you notice that the 24mm lugs actually fit this watch unlike some that have attempted 24mm lugs? ;-)

I was thinking of getting one of those... but i´ve read too many complaints about the bezel and the overall quality (much more the missing quality control - but that´s very common in china i guess).
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"
    I have had several of his watches, never had any problems with the case. The bezels are a little easy to turn, but other than that they're OK. The manner in which the bezels are held on has changed, older ones just snapped on, the newer one have a retention spring.

The lume is still weak.