closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: '91 G10 problem.

Craftsman

'91 G10 problem.

Hi All,

Sorry, got another query for you.

I fitted a new battery to a friend's G10 today... and it didn't start.
    A closer look showed the seconds hand was trying to move, but was stuck at the 9 o'clock position. I pulled the movement and the second hand can only move between the 7 and 9 o'clock positions, where it runs fine until it sticks again.

The watch has been unused for quite some time in the back of a cupboard from what I gather. Could it just be gummed up and require a gentle warming? I don't want to force the hand past where it's sticking for fear of damaging the movement.

All the best,
    Paul

Thomas Reid
    Is this with the movement inside or outside of the case? If inside, try it with the movement outside.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Craftsman
    Sorry, I should have said.
    Same result in or out of the case.

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"
    Dried up oil?

Since these movements can be taken apart, it should be serviced and inspected.

Or, join the disposable generation and get a new 955 movement for 25 bucks. It is a direct swap out, no modifications necessary.

Journeyman
    The ETA 955.114 movement is now obsolete the recomended replacement is the ETA F06/11a not the same quality but is a straight swop. the only problem is the battery hole needs turned to the left. these movements are about £5
    Cheers
    Ian :lol:

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"
    You can still get the 955, if you know where to look. And parts. Or if want to go high end a 255.

But, I would try cleaning it first, an watch that has sat in a cuoboard for a few years would probably benefit from a good wash.

Craftsman
    Update:

While cleaning the odds and sods off the back of my workbench I rediscovered the watch... ticking away happily to itself.

The new battery must have carried on wobbling the hands until they freed themselves up. :D

All the best,
    Paul