closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watches and cars

Master

Watches and cars

The old Top Gear trio used to say that to be a true petrol head you had to have owned an Alfa. Could the Panerai brand be likened to Alfa? And what other watch brands could be likened to car marques?

Seiko !

No - Rolex!

Omega!

Patek!

JLC!

Apart from being Italian, I don't see a bid link between Pan and Alfa. The former isn't that sketchy... in fact, it's hard to think what is.

Journeyman
    I think of the datejust and submariner as a VW Golf - a mid-tier benchmark by which all other competitors are compared to.

The whole Alfa thing to me is about a manufacturer with an illustrious history from a past golden age but is just never accepted as living up to that today. Something like Zenith perhaps although I wouldn't say that to be a true watch nerd you need to have owned an El Primero, etc.

Blog Entries
    Lancia would have been better!!
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Kallang View Post
    I think of the datejust and submariner as a VW Golf - a mid-tier benchmark by which all other competitors are compared to.

The whole Alfa thing to me is about a manufacturer with an illustrious history from a past golden age but is just never accepted as living up to that today. Something like Zenith perhaps although I wouldn't say that to be a true watch nerd you need to have owned an El Primero, etc.
    Rolex = VW?

Sorry, can't agree with that! Rolex is more like Mercedes I'd say.

For VW, maybe Tudor.

Other suggestions:

Omega ~ Audi. Some prefer over Rolex / Mercedes, but latter - let's say - higher profile.

Seiko ~ Nissan. Generally well made and reliable, good VFM.

Diesel (or other fashion brand) ~ Proton. Not likely to prove a treasured possession.

Journeyman
    I'd say Rolex is more like Porsche.

Plenty of retailers across the country.

Out of reach of the average man on the street.

To own either can be seen as 'showing off/compensating'....again to the average man on the street.

The latest 'must have' model has a long waiting list at rrp but is available at non franchised dealers at above list.

Desirable, the sort of brand even people that don't know much about watches/cars aspire to.

Well built/engineered.

Never owned an Alfa, never intend to.

Ive owned casios and Seikos though.

Its pointless saying you have to own xyz to be whatever. Those car nerds earn too much to be relevant to the discussion.

It would be like saying you have to have owned a 250GTO to be able to comment on cars - quite clearly that's not the case.

Just because you don't have the budget for X, or even want to own, doesn't mean you can't appreciate others of its type.

Im sure most on here own more than one brand watch, and have owned more than one brand of car, so I can't see the comparator.

That said, for me Porsche is more likened to Rolex. Same image positioning, same place in the markets. Owning both also shows I might be target market - but I possibly own the lower priced models of each.

Having bought a Patek (cheap steel model), then perhaps I should be looking for a cheap (v8) Ferrari!!!
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 21st May 2017 at 11:55.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Never owned an Alfa, never intend to.

That said, for me Porsche is more likened to Rolex. Same image positioning, same place in the markets. Owning both also shows I might be target market - but I possibly own the lower priced models of each.

Having bought a Patek (cheap steel model), then perhaps I should be looking for a cheap (v8) Ferrari!!!
    Don't discount the Alfa quadrifoglio. I got a run in a customers one last week, a truly remarkable machine and more desirable than an m3 or equivalent.

Just for the record, I was driving along the M5 on Thursday, brand new Alfa Giullietta a little way ahead. I was thinking its quite good looking when there was a puff of smoke from the exhaust, then a cloud of smoke then it appeared to die.

Alfas are still a quality motor then.

Alfa's get some undue stick, they've been ok for years IMO and no less troublesome than any of the other mainstream brands.

I had a GT for 3 years, never had a single problem with it.

Wife hated driving it so when we moved to one car we traded for an Alfo Mito Cloverleaf, been good as gold for 3 years also. I plan to get a Giulia at some point in the future, beautiful cars.

As for watches, I don't own any of those mentioned so far.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Actually. Yeah. Having owned alfas and Panerai.

Gorgeous and different. But when they break - prepare to cry big salty tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish boy View Post
    I'd say Rolex is more like Porsche.
    No, Rolex is BMW - both built well, but every bu**er has one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    No, Rolex is BMW - both built well, but every bu**er has one.
    Surely that crown is taken over by Audi now?

All the old BMW types seem to have migrated over.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Surely the only link with an Alfa and a Panerai is if the Panerai broke down all the time.