closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Inspiration - suggestions sought

Master
    Blog Entries

Inspiration - suggestions sought

I have really been enjoying my 42mm Explorer and i have some expendable watch funds to enjoy.

The perhaps obvious solution would be to purchase a black dialled Exp to join the white dialled model, and i may yet do that, though the hands still trouble me a little. Before i do though, when i see other pieces from some members they stir my interest but perhaps fade away quite quickly too.

For example, Glashutte always comes to mind as does Blancpain, but for their persistence with that oversized case inscription. JLC are nice but generally too small and haemorrhage value. So with a criteria of 42mm minimum, a black dial, time only, with or without a date, not overtly dressy (use the Exp as a default) what maker/model options are there based around £5K +/-?

Craftsman

A used AP RO?

IWC Ingeniur? The Glasshutte is a good shout the Sport Evo looks a lovely watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    This appeals, though would have to be bought blind.

This one is on offer too, though rubber straps i find a bit meh.

Banned
    What else have you got?

I'd be thinking DSSD or maybe a Pam.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've had countless Panerai and still have several, but i've grown ever more tired of their recent direction as a brand.

Tried a DSSD and sold it within a week.

Glashutte are really growing on me but the range i like is now discontinued.

Banned
    Ok, so aside from a brace of panerai, what else you have?

You tried any GS? A PO LM in blue? Hublot? IWC Portugaise for something a bit dressier?

Banned
    What about a Vacheron Overseas? might just get in around budget (judging from a quick look on chrono24)

Still some NOS Villemont models about.
    Most/all have had the huge RRP reduced so deprecistion from now on is minimal.

Worth seeking out, some striking designs and the build quality is very good IMO.

Although the company has gone, the movements are, at base level, Eta/vsljoux sourced.

K

Master
    A bit left-field, but how about something like this? RSW High King. 44mm. Power reserve and retrograde date. 5-day power reserve.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Ok, so aside from a brace of panerai, what else you have?

You tried any GS? A PO LM in blue? Hublot? IWC Portugaise for something a bit dressier?

Several Panerai's, a bronze version of Anonimo's Marlin, Exp II, Oris principally. Numerous other bits and bobs and some bespokes.

I don't like GS. Some Hublot are OK but overpriced. IWC are Richemont owned which i'd like to get away from, but the 5002 Big Pilot has always appealed, and Vacheron's odd (to me) bezels are not wonderful. Omega i dislike.

I could easily talk myself into the silver dial Glashutte above and it's a decent price for NoS. Perhaps it would make sense to pursue that.

Banned
    lol! This reminds me of trying to feed my daughter - she knows what she doesn't like but is not so good on what she does!

What about a green glass milgaus or is that too small?

Have you tried a Hublot on? Might change your mind once you've had your paws on one.

How about Sinn? Or there must be a Perrelet with a black dial?

Malc

Grand Master
    Green Ceramic Sub
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Green Ceramic Sub
    Yep Kerry's spot on green ceramic sub
    Loving mine :-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    lol! This reminds me of trying to feed my daughter - she knows what she doesn't like but is not so good on what she does!

What about a green glass milgaus or is that too small?

If i buy another Rolex that will be easy. A black dialled EXP II to join the white one. First though i'm going to pursue that Glashutte. I've never had one, like how they look and the general consensus here seems to be positive. The silver dial and bezel particularly has a Yachtmaster'ish look to it which is nice. It's on the money and worth a gamble, if i can see one first which may be the stumbling block.

As to your daughter, you only say what you do because you're her Dad

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Green Ceramic Sub

Not for me i think? Too small, and those lugs are not to my liking at all. The dial is pretty good though tbh
    Last edited by shadowman; 12th February 2013 at 15:19.

Omega Ploprof, Ulysse Nardin Diver, Linde Werdelin?

No affiliation with either UK site, just used for quick reference to see what is available used for the money, but all of these are on or very close to budget. Food for thought to see what is around. My vote would be with the IWC to add something a little different to the collection or the JLC although not sure about the pushers as they seem to overwhelm the watch a bit. Can't see the point of getting the GO because it looks like the YM when you could get the YM? Sorry for the over abundance of chronos but all suggestions are obviously based around my taste within the criteria.

Last edited by Billyloves2boogie; 12th February 2013 at 15:53.

A bit left-field but how about Mont Blanc:-

http://www.beards.co.uk/product/2315...m-watch/107339

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyloves2boogie View Post
    No affiliation with either UK site, just used for quick reference to see what is available used for the money, but all of these are on or very close to budget. Food for thought to see what is around. My vote would be with the IWC to add something a little different to the collection or the JLC although not sure about the pushers as they seem to overwhelm the watch a bit. Can't see the point of getting the GO because it looks like the YM when you could get the YM? Sorry for the over abundance of chronos but all suggestions are obviously based around my taste within the criteria.

Chronos generally leave me cold and i have no need for one. The GO shown adjacent to the Yachtmaster confirms to me that it's much nicer than the Rolex, not to mention it meets my 42mm criteria, whereas the Rolex doesn't. Some JLC i like but generally they're 40mm and as you say their crowns and pushers kind of overwhelm their cases quite often.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    A bit left-field but how about Mont Blanc:-

http://www.beards.co.uk/product/2315...m-watch/107339
    Mont Blanc make really nice pens.

I'm waiting to hear more about the silver dialled GO right now.

OK, that's told me Baz! :)

I compared both GOs a few yrs ago and to be honest they left me a bit cold. I tend to favour black dials and that is also true in this case. Have you also considered one of the JLC 'navy seals' watches?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    OK, that's told me Baz! :)

Not at all, i value the input. We all have differing tastes after all

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I compared both GOs a few yrs ago and to be honest they left me a bit cold. I tend to favour black dials and that is also true in this case. Have you also considered one of the JLC 'navy seals' watches?

JLC are a brand i like but every time i get into the details i walk away. As i noted previously their crowns and pushers seem overly fussy. I like the Navy Seals style but don't imagine i'd ever own one any more than i would say a 'Sly' endorsed Panerai.

The new/current GO range has dropped many of the time only Senator models now so my options really are quite restricted. The silver dial model looks good on paper, better in some respects than the black dial where i started. But i'd need to see both together ideally, but that is not going to happen at an AD of which afaik Wempe in London are the only UK outlet?
    Last edited by shadowman; 12th February 2013 at 16:53.

"Mont Blanc make really nice pens."

PMSL

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    JLC are a brand i like but every time i get into the details i walk away. As i noted previously their crowns and pushers seem overly fussy. I like the Navy Seals style but don't imagine i'd ever own one any more than i would say a 'Sly' endorsed Panerai.

The new/current GO range has dropped many of the time only Senator models now so my options really are quite restricted. The silver dial model looks good on paper, better in some respects than the black dial where i started. But i'd need to see both together ideally, but that is not going to happen at an AD of which afaik Wempe in London are the only UK outlet?
    Fair enough, I agree on the tie ins. I like some of the Top Gun IWCs but would never get one because of the association and casebacks.

I think you can also get GOs in Harrods and maybe one or two other outlets. But can see all of them being in London and then again no guarantees they have the one you are after unless you call all of them up beforehand.

Banned
    Sounds like you are pretty set on a GO - go check them out. I was not hugely impressed when I did but ymmv.

I had a look at the new blue face yacht master at the AD in Bermuda recently and its gorgeous but we are straying out of budget obv.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like you are pretty set on a GO - go check them out. I was not hugely impressed when I did but ymmv.

I had a look at the new blue face yacht master at the AD in Bermuda recently and its gorgeous but we are straying out of budget obv.

Budgets are or can be flexible. Sadly the YM with the blue dial though lovely is only 40mm so too small for my taste.