closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Orient Star Retrograde - any owners on here??

Orient Star Retrograde - any owners on here??

After my interest was sparked by the recent poor mans GS (Seiko Spirit) thread in M&W, I started looking at a few offerings from the Japs, and found myself looking at Orient Star's.

Stumbled across the Orient Star Retrograde, and I have to say from the pictures it looks gorgeous, and great vfm. Rose gold, or the stainless with dark blue dial would be my picks:

Beautiful dial detailing:

Some very nice photos in this thread: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f67/ori...ew-261196.html

Got to say, I'd normally find the dial a little fussy, and was originally looking at the similar model with just the power reserve meter, but the dial detailing just looks really nice on the Retrograde version.

Any real world experiences on here? And as usual, any recommendations for a similar style for similar budget (~£450)?

I love the Seiko SARB's, but I feel like my next watch needs to not be a Seiko, lol!

No love on here for the Orient?

Craftsman
    looks really really good...

expensive?

Journeyman
    I like the Orient Retrogrades too. I tried on the WZ0011DE (black/steel) & WZ0041DE (white/steel) and was very tempted. They are finished very well for their price bracket. In the end, I went for WZ0211EL (white/steel) which is not a retrograde but has the power reserve indicator. If you like the look of the retrograde in the photo, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Mike

Master
    I think there is a general perception of Orient as a 'second division' maker and a subsidiary of the better known Seiko - not in the way the Lexus is to Toyota, but more in the way that Skoda is to Volkswagen. Also they are not advertised/promoted in any significant manner hence they struggle to sell their more expensive models in this country.

To my mind this is a little unfair as Orient have done some unique very interesting styles over the years (I've owned a few) and I believe they actually used their own movements. However the market is what the market is and unfortunately Orient will probably always be a niche brand.

Rob

I must admit, being a bit of a Seiko fanboy, I do look at Orient as a poor relation, but I can't deny, some of the Orient Star models are very nice, and offer good vfm.

I do often avoid the busier dials, and was looking at the similar model with just power meter beforehand, but there's something about the detailing on the dial for the different registers - looks really good imo.

If you love watches an Orient Star is attractive (in-house movement, in-house design and construction, a maker with a long continuous watch heritage, etc) It has everything but status. I view appreciation for Orient Star as an indicator of WIS tendencies.

In case you hadn't read it, great review and pictures here,
    http://www.ablogtowatch.com/orient-s...-watch-review/

Love the differing textures on the dial and the complication.

I am tempted! Where would you buy it thought from? Serious watches in Europe or or ebay from Japan and risk the tax?

Craftsman
    I've been toying with the idea of one of these for a while. Everything I can find out about them is very positive - the owners appear to love them and you're getting an interesting watch with an in house movement and Retrograde complication for a great price. The only reason I think I'm probably not going to do it is that I'm not sure about all the different patterns on the face, and I'm also not sure about the silver/gold arch above the retrograde hand. I think it would look better without that.

Great watch though by all accounts. I don't think you'll be disappointed. They're not officially available in the UK - I was going to go to SeriousWatches as they're an AD and can therefore offer servicing etc when the time comes.

I actually really like all the different patterns. I think they would only be apparent on close inspection and I like details like that. The arch above the retrograde hand contributes to the depth of the dial, which I also think is a nice touch.

I also fell for this one when I saw these pix then later I had the chance to get another Seiko retro cheap, I nearly forgot this Orient. The only reservation I have for this Orient would be <40mm

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    I also fell for this one when I saw these pix then later I had the chance to get another Seiko retro cheap, I nearly forgot this Orient. The only reservation I have for this Orient would be <40mm

Interesting what model is that?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Really interesting and good looking watches I think. One dressy Orient and one sporty Seiko.

I'm sure the Orient Watch Company is owned by Seiko Holdings.

Master
    I had spotted this model before - it looks like a good deal for the money, but it is rather thick for a dress watch.

I was interested in this Orient last year. However, like others have said, it was too thick for me. I was also put off by a few reports of the retrograde date hand not pointing properly at the date, but in between numbers. I still bought an Orient Star though, they have a lot of nice watches in the range

SARD001 Seiko has no longer used this movement in low end case like this

Have the white one, absolutely fabulous watch. The best part is that it actually has a double-curved sapphire, something unheard of at this price.

I have another older one with a curved sapphire but that one is convex on only one side and thus it distorts the dial at most angles.

Along with the black Somes, this is my favorite "pair" at the moment.