closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tudor 79090 vs. 79190

Craftsman

Tudor 79090 vs. 79190

Hello, gentlemen.

I have fallen more and more in love with the Rolex and Tudor Submariner lately, especially after wearing an Omega PO XL for the last five months. It sits perfectly on my hand, but there's absolutely nothing subtle about it.

Of course, I would like to just buy myself a pretty Rolex 16610, but being an art student does not combine very well with this interest. Luckily, there's some magical about Tudor, too, and right now 79090 and 79190 are the candidates. I'm guessing a late 90's Tudor Submariner will do just fine as a daily beater, but I do have a few questions I'd hoped you could help me with.

79190 seems to be a bit rarer, and pricier, than the 79090. Do this have mainly to do with people loving sapphire crystal, or was there made far fewer? What is it about a plastic crystal that make certain people go all fluttery? Is it really better, or is it just vintage magic? And if you, like me, don't really love the superdome-aesthetic, is it possible to put a crystal sapphire on a 79090? Are there any other significant differences to think about?

Tudor 79090 vs. 79190

It started with acrylic. Acrylic doesn't reflect that much too. It scratches but is easily polished or replaced.

I think the acrylic is thicker, the whole top hat thing. Not sure though.

If you want sapphire don't go for a 79090 and molest it, just buy the 79190.

Master
    Well 1st thing:
    you can't swap the acrylic crystal from a 79090 for sapphire and vice-versa the sapphire on the 79190.
    The 79090 does indeed wear 'taller' due to the acrylic crystal or, to be more accurate, the 79190 wears more flat on the wrist.
    The other main difference is the bezel: it's bi-directional on the 79090 but it's uni-directional on the 79190 so the sapphire Tudor is the closest relative to the 16800/16610 Rolex sub.
    I have both and would recommend either tbh.........but if you find a 'Prince Oysterdate' marked dial 79190 then that'd be my choice. :-)

Grand Master
    Their both nice imho,Iv'e had both the 79190 {Black} and 76100 {Blue,similar to the 79090} very recently in fact, and the 76100 blue face is on sc now.The blue nice because it's well er blue and so well liked by many for that reason.Other than that I actually had no preference had they both been black OR blue tbh.If like me I think you would like either of the 2 you mention.The acrylic as you mention is more to do with the vintage look and feel.If either were on sc and I was after one then I'd have it,if both models were on sc @ the same time!,which would I choose then Mmm, well the one in the best condition and the best price perhaps.That is when you have to start to do some research as to which might actually be the most well like in the WIS world when that inevitable ''move it on'' bug bites!,so this might actually help make your decision easier,BUT you also may not end up with the watch YOU actually prefer.

It's difficult,but it's also fun too.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 10th February 2013 at 12:13.

I bought a 79190 new for less than £650. I couldn't afford the equivalent Rolex (which looked identical bar the screwed bracelet and movement) because it was 3 times the price. I know which was the better value
    I still have the 79190 and have now bought a 14060 to accompany it.

Master
    I brought a blue 79090 22-23 years back, would be the last piece I ever moved on, due to it being my first real watch.

Funny memory told me it was £850 ish, but seeing the post above has me wondering I'm assuming the 79190 were more expensive with the sapphire and the non folded bracelet.

Craftsman

Tudor 79090 vs. 79190

I didn't know that about the bezel, actually. I think the 79190 is probably the best choice for me, I just need to find a reasonably priced one. Any thoughts on how much I'd have to pay for a good condition 79190? And how much less would a head-only be than one with a bracelet?

You got me thinking so I checked.
    £650 in November 1996 from Whittles in Preston.
    My 1st "quality" watch too.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I brought a blue 79090 22-23 years back, would be the last piece I ever moved on, due to it being my first real watch.

Funny memory told me it was £850 ish, but seeing the post above has me wondering I'm assuming the 79190 were more expensive with the sapphire and the non folded bracelet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    You got me thinking so I checked.
    £650 in November 1996 from Whittles in Preston.
    My 1st "quality" watch too.
    Well looks like I've made a profit on mine then, ;) Im going to dig out the box etc and see if I've still got the recept for mine when I'm home.

Mine came in the late 80's from WOS on Liverpool St on the never never, it replaced a Tag Super Pro that only lasted a couple of weeks before the crown came off....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    blue[/COLOR][/B] face is on sc now.
    It is, where as I can't see it? Would quite like to mind.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Post some pics lads!!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by famyklebust View Post
    I didn't know that about the bezel, actually. I think the 79190 is probably the best choice for me, I just need to find a reasonably priced one. Any thoughts on how much I'd have to pay for a good condition 79190? And how much less would a head-only be than one with a bracelet?
    For a vgc 'prince Oysterdate' 79190 I'd say easy 2k+ for a full set, and maybe 13-1700 for a loose example with no bracelet but, as always, it's condition and provenance that matter.

Apprentice
    hello to all!

I,m on the hunt myself for a Tudor submariner

i have a option on a mint 79090 incl boxes and papers and complete service overhaul. 2700 euro.

Last edited by remco66; 10th February 2013 at 12:43.

On the Dutch watch forum, a well respected member had a 76100 Lollipop with B&P for sale. Price was just 1975 Euro wich is a great price. Watch on hold now I guess.
    Last year I bought a midsize 75090 in blue. A great watch imho :)

Tudor sneeuw-1 by Malus65, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by jrpippen View Post
    Post some pics lads!!!!

Craftsman
    Ah, it's just so beautiful. Plexi is growing on me, but I still would feel safer with a sapphire crystal, I think. I'll just have to be patient, and I still have to get rid of my PO XL, so I have time.

his one got me started in this silly expensive hobby.It was traded for a rolex sub no date

Wonderful watches these are, and prices keep heading north in line with their Rolex-cousins 1680 and 5513. I chose a 79090 because of the plexi-crystal, to have that vintage look. But I wouldn't walk away from a 79190 as well. I find it remarkable how tough these old workhorses are, I use mine for pretty much anything (hiking, gardening, swimming, diving, beer drinking etc. etc.) and it just keeps on going. They don't attract much dings and scratches, too. Great quality!

In Saarburg (Germany) while climbing.