closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fountain Pen help from those in the know...

Fountain Pen help from those in the know...

Gentlemen, I am after some help if possible. I know little about pens be they historic or new despite using a Montblanc fountain pen daily. To me is it a lovely tactile tool, but a tool none the less. I know that there are a few pen collectors / enthusiasts here and was after some help please.

I have in my possession the below pen and was looking for some information about it.

It is in it's original box and seems in fantastic condition.

It is hallmarked and has the makers mark PP (PP in a rectangle which I understand is the makers mark for Parker Pens UK), it also has the leopards head assay mark making it assayed in London, the crown carat mark and the 750 mark which denote the pen as solid 18k gold and the date stamp which I have looked up in my hallmark book as 1979. The lid is similarly marked.

The pen is beautifully engine turned and has a clear section for initials (not engraved with initials though).

The cartridge seems to be one of the refillable ones and seems in good order (I can feel suction on the finger if I pump it with my finger gently on the open end).

The nib itself looks like a strange one to me as it seems like a pretty small nib section integrated to the plastic/resin part that you grip.

Any information that anyone has would be fantastic. Do these things have model numbers and so on?

Any idea what this thing could be worth??

Thanks for your help guys.

Looks like a Parker 51... they were made for over 30 years ... wash it out with warm water and then fill it with ink and see how it writes. If 18K gold it's worth at least the weight of gold ... if say 15g = £365 ish ... You could ask about it on a Parker pen forum ... nib is a normal hooded type ... it's a regular nib once dismantled but dismantling is not recommended.
    http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...-parker-forum/

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 6th February 2013 at 21:34.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Thanks - i'll post on there and see what comes back!

My vintage (circa 1950) Parker 51 desk set which has similar filler to yours

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    I think it may be a Parker 61 rather than a 51.

61s had a gold arrow insert in the top just aft of the nib which 51s don't have

Also 61s have a flat end to the barrel rather than the 51's rounded end.

When 61s were first introduced they had a curious capillary action filling system which only "sort of" worked (I had one!) so the later models were made with the more normal filling system like the OP's

BTW - Pic above "borrowed" from fleabay where the closing price was £240.

Fountain Pen help from those in the know...

Could be a Parker 65. This link should help you identify it: http://parkercollector.com/apis.html

Master
    Don't think so - per above post - I'm 99% sure it's a Parker 61 probably a Mk III "Presidential"

The Parker 65 is a different animal altogether.

It has a unique style of nib which is not hooded (below). I have one of these too..... but it leaks!

Last edited by stiglet; 7th February 2013 at 10:52.