closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Interesting Cheapy Beater from Fortis - Colors

Interesting Cheapy Beater from Fortis - Colors

I am not sure I have seen this posted here, but in the category of beater, this seems a reasonable contender

Quartz (no idea of movement), 42mm diameter, 100m WR, the bezel works (apparently uni-directional - it is intengrated into the case, not the watch module) and only €120.
    €40 more gets you additional resin cases in a myriad of colours. They are all butterfly deployments, so you have to cut each strap / case module to size.

photos from a Ratuken seller

Just making its way onto Chrono24 too

An interesting holiday watch, perhaps.

The dial looks a nice simple blend of military and flieger styles (although I am not a fan of putting hours 13-24 on the chapter ring). Good-looking hands. And uses Luminova, although the Ratuken seller comes up with the following amazing translation (and I am not kidding)

"A needle and the index are Lumi eggplant faint lights other than stars"

Yowser

I could be tempted, but I am not sure I like the idea of fixed sizing for a holiday watch, when your wrist expands and contracts the most. Unless the band is quite stretchy.

Also, it is interesting the Fortis has spent a lot of time elevating its brand, and this is very much at the other end of the scale.

Genius or folly??? I am not sure. Could be genius for selling these. A well-respected name for very little. But folly for the rest of their range? I can see these chopping a lot of sales off the lower end of the flieger range......

Dave

Mmm, a militarised Ice Watch?

I can see the appeal as a cheap beater/holiday watch but I don't understand it from Fortis point of view.

I was in Stewart watches of Leicester yesterday having a close up look at Fortis pieces (first time I'd seen any in the flesh), I was impressed with the build quality and the designs appealed to me. But having come up with this, it sort of lowers the brand image in my eyes.

Incidentally, why don't you like the 24h scale on the chapter ring?

Quote Originally Posted by Aquavit View Post
    Mmm, a militarised Ice Watch?

I can see the appeal as a cheap beater/holiday watch but I don't understand it from Fortis point of view.

I was in Stewart watches of Leicester yesterday having a close up look at Fortis pieces (first time I'd seen any in the flesh), I was impressed with the build quality and the designs appealed to me. But having come up with this, it sort of lowers the brand image in my eyes.

Incidentally, why don't you like the 24h scale on the chapter ring?
    I've had a few Fortis' in the past, they are good.

It is worth saying that they did this before, 60s or 70s, and they called it the flipper (see second image above - return of the flipper, not so legendary).

So although they have form, I agree, it does cheapen the rest.

To me the 13-24-hr ring is just adding numbers for no good reason. Anyone who works in 24-hr time doesn't need it translating anyway. a proper 24-hr scale with a GMT hand is a different thing, this is just "military" design additions.

D

I'd have to agree that it cheapens the image of the brand. A lot. A shame IMO.

That said, it does seem like a nice watch. Just wouldn't expect Fortis (or Glycine or Sinn etc etc) to target this lower end of the market.

Master
    Fortis were the originals with this - I got some info on these a little while ago.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...fortis+flipper

Toy watch and Ice watch are basically just copying the old design.
    I quite like the idea of a Swiss quartz module and a handful of different straps, certainly a reasonable beater for the money!

The three strap package is something like £150, and the full 10 strap case with module is about £500.

Master
    Is it Swiss quartz though? Can't find anything to confirm.
    I quite like the idea of this for summer, but if it's a 99p chinese movement then there are cheaper options.

Journeyman
    Not what I have expected to see from Fortis..

That first version/colour looks good.
    Fortis is an excellent brand. Mostly good looking under the radar watches and personal favourites of mine.

This is a nod by Fortis to their old 'Flipper' range which I think they released back in the 1970's. Fortis also had a 'Sky' watch which was a lower priced quartz watch. The 'Colors' watch is way below their other watches in price but if it gets more folk aware or interested in the Fortis name then I don't think that is a bad thing. I suspect they may be a limited run so they won't be flooding the market.

Excellent. If conglomerates like the Swatch Group and independents like Seiko can operate at both ends of the market, why not Fortis?

I'd rather have a plastic Fortis than a Swatch.

Master
    I saw these in November on my trip to Geneva...

It was probably about the same price for one of these as a McDonalds meal there so believe me, they seemed even cheaper when I saw them It is a weird direction for Fortis considering their recent models that seem to command an awful lot of money, however, as we've seen with their Art models, they don't seem to mind trying new products and directions.

I'd have one :-)

I've got an original from the late 80's, it is dreadful - in comparison the most basic swatch is built like a tank!
    Will try to dig it out for a photo.

They're sold through the fashion chain Beams in Tokyo. That chain always has some "interesting" watches available. One of their branches is 400m from my house. They're usually Timex or Nixon type things, but some Swatch and now Fortis.

A couple more from their website that for one reason or another, caught my eye ...

Paul

I quite like it as a cheap beater. I can see the thinking of those who say it might devalue the brand, but perhaps not as much as some ebay redialled 'Fortis' horrors that have popped up recently, eg http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Fo...-/261168684362 :)

On the subject of BEAMS, they also released a quartz Benrus type II a while ago. I am pretty sure it used the same case as the Ray Wong version.
    --> http://satogawa.cocolog-nifty.com/sa...enrus-typ.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    They're sold through the fashion chain Beams in Tokyo. That chain always has some "interesting" watches available. One of their branches is 400m from my house. They're usually Timex or Nixon type things, but some Swatch and now Fortis.

A couple more from their website that for one reason or another, caught my eye ...

Paul
    Last edited by lenny; 11th February 2013 at 17:24.

Craftsman
    Could be worse, they could be charging £500+ for them!

Not a fan of these myself, bit too gaudy!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I've got an original from the late 80's, it is dreadful - in comparison the most basic swatch is built like a tank!
    Will try to dig it out for a photo.
    I have one from the 80s too, assuming it's the same thing. "Logo Swiss Fortis Quartz" on the dial? I guess our opinions differ as I thought it was better than a swatch at the time for the same price. It had mineral glass for example.

I had a left a battery in and now the second hand occasionally sticks. For sentimental reasons I would love to have it working again, but it has a Harley Ronda 375 and my local places say a new movement can't be sourced and they won't fix it. If anyone knows otherwise, that would be great!

As it is, it's not really been used since the 90s.

Apprentice
    The movement inside is a Miyota.
    What concerns the watch itself. It is a unique idea from a respected Swiss brand. First of all, it might be a "plastic watch", but it is still a Fortis with the matching quality. Secondly, it is affordable, thus wider spectrum of people can get acquainted with the brand. Thirdly, it might be relatively cheap, but still telling about the owner that he/she has a taste in watches even on holidays.
    And finally, I would not dare saying that it is a "shame" for a watchmaker like Fortis to issue a lower category timepiece. It is a well thought out policy. The predecessor Fortis Flipper was really legendary, taking into account that a "plastic cheapy" could become a favorite timepiece of Roman Polanski, Leonard Bernstein, Roger Moore, The Rolling Stones, etc. So, something must be working in that "cheapy idea".

Snobism is a wonderful trait. Makes happy the individual and all around for a cheap laugh.
    Last edited by alexthyl; 26th March 2013 at 15:25.

Quote Originally Posted by alexthyl View Post
    The movement inside is a Miyota.
    The booklet says it has a Swiss Ronda 704 module.

I saw these in Salzburg a couple of weeks back and nearly bought one!
    quite nice, actually
    Goat

I like the watch for what it is (except the mineral crystal, I always seem to be able to scratch these pretty fast) and I like even more their sense of humour.

Think I'll get myself one for a merry holiday.

Cheers,
    Christian

PS: Weird - the Fortis site has one pic (the '3' does not exist, there's only the date window), while the chrono24 seller presents a different pic (with a cut '3' next to the date window, which I actually really dislike as a design choice)...
    Last edited by Wooster; 26th March 2013 at 17:40.

In Dutch horlogeforum.nl several people bought these together. The cut 3 was the old version. New ones don't have it. Some pics there as well.

http://www.horlogeforum.nl/read.php?...12#msg-1518312

Seems like a reasonable beater, I'm getting tired of all these colour switch watches though.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    In Dutch horlogeforum.nl several people bought these together. The cut 3 was the old version. New ones don't have it. Some pics there as well.

http://www.horlogeforum.nl/read.php?...12#msg-1518312
    Many thanks, good to know!

Just watch out for old stock!

I want one! Never heard of these before! It cheapens the brand, as mentioned, but I couldn't see any other way for me to get a Fortis! Although I like them, in their usual price range, I usually prefer something more popular. I like them!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by andamanen View Post
    The booklet says it has a Swiss Ronda 704 module.
    Would you please post a pic of the booklet's relevant part.

I really like the look of these and I have found a UK seller, however it seems €140 = £140.
    Still I may have to take the plunge.

Quote Originally Posted by alexthyl View Post
    Would you please post a pic of the booklet's relevant part.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by andamanen View Post
    Thank you very much for the picture posted. The reason I have asked for it: when I bought my Fortis Colors, I have asked the authorised dealer about the movement. He answered confidently and without any hesitation that there is a Miyota inside. As I know the seller, he most probably opened one the watches out of curiosity. If not, then he was mistaken. I would for sure prefer a Swiss Ronda cal. 704. And actually it is more logical. At least I hope that Fortis, a Swiss made watch will use a Swiss movement, even in this "cheapy" category.

Update:

Swiss Ronda cal. 704 is a two hand/date movement. Fortis Colors has three hands/date.
    Reference: http://www.ronda.ch/en/our-quartz-mo...h/caliber/704/

That seems to be a puzzle.
    Last edited by alexthyl; 27th March 2013 at 18:09.

Master

Holy Thread Resurrection

About 3yrs ago, further up this thread, I mentioned that I wouldn't mind one of these for summer. I bought a Seiko monster instead I seem to recall... and then sold it.
    Well... this year I'm doing a multi-stop holiday and I don't want to be taking multiple watches or strap changing tools and don't fancy taking anything remotely expensive. Recently sold my Fortis B42 Cosmo.. so I thought what the heck.
    Tracked this down from a UK AD which should hopefully arrive with me by the end of the week.

I might even purchase the white dialled module so that I've doubled my choices.... although will probably only take 2-3 straps with me.

Andy.
    Last edited by gorrie; 3rd February 2016 at 13:53.

Master
    I did think about getting one of these as a holiday watch for a while but couldn't see the value over a Seiko/Citizen diver or G-Shock in the end. I wonder if the complete sets will ever become sought after? Coincidentally, my beater/holiday watch has ended up being a Fortis - £225 plus £27 for three NATOs

(photo nicked from the net)

Master
    I used a B42 Cosmo for my last 2 holidays, along with a few straps... but last year forgot to take my little screw driver so it stayed on an orange rubber the whole time. These are a tool free swap so surely idiot free !
    Not sure if the full sets will become sought after.. but at around £40 per strap when bought separately, I kinda grudge having to cut to size.

Journeyman
    Fortis are great, really miss my B42 Stratoliner. I can recall the re-edition "Flipper".......not nice!

Master
    Did they work out any cheaper when purchased as a set? (Feel free to tell me to stop being so nosey!)

I quite like the B42 screwed lugs as they feel very secure when in place, but they aren't ideal if you like swapping straps often - NATOs excluded obviously.

Master
    I believe the RRP of the set is pretty much the same as if you bought them all separately, on the basis that it's about £40 per strap (although you wouldn't get the case).

I did think about getting one of these as a holiday watch for a while but couldn't see the value over a Seiko/Citizen diver or G-Shock in the end. I wonder if the complete sets will ever become sought after? Coincidentally, my beater/holiday watch has ended up being a Fortis - £225 plus £27 for three NATOs
    Wow, where did you find that for so little money.

Is it 42mm?

Master
    Good old Sales Corner. I can't believe it went unsold at £250 for a while to be honest. Maybe it was the post Christmas lull. It is 42mm, yes.
    Last edited by benny.c; 4th February 2016 at 19:33.

Craftsman
    Has anyone here purchased and can share images?

Master
    I'll get some tomorrow... Any particular color you want to see?

Apprentice
    Green please.

Master
    Here you go:-

Cheers, Andy.

Craftsman

Changing Battery?

This is my beater holiday watch,dug it out for my January trip but sadly it needs a battery change .Having problems getting into the back.Assumed being 100m waterproof it would be a screwback but after a little digging/googling it appears to be a snapback (still waiting for Fortis to get back to confirm this)

Cannot see any groove in the case to lever the back off and no lugs for a screwback,and no wish to damage the watch trying the wrong technique!

Can anyone clarify one way or the other and which tool would be the best to use or recommend someone in the manchester area to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    I don't know whether or not it's a snap on back but if it is snap on then one of these tools will do it:

http://www.tickintimeworldofwatchtoo...ool-1497-p.asp
    or
    https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/be...p-case-openers

Other such tools and other suppliers are available.

Be careful. The cheaper tools don't have the amount of watch case stabilisation that in my opinion would be ideal but they do the job ok with practice.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I don't know whether or not it's a snap on back but if it is snap on then one of these tools will do it:

http://www.tickintimeworldofwatchtoo...ool-1497-p.asp
    or
    https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/be...p-case-openers

Other such tools and other suppliers are available.

Be careful. The cheaper tools don't have the amount of watch case stabilisation that in my opinion would be ideal but they do the job ok with practice.

Thank you Mark

The lack of cut out in the case has me wondering,and not holding my breath at Fortis getting back anytime soon.May just take it to a decent watchmaker/repairer as I doubt Timpsons or the like will be of any use.

Cheers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abbs View Post
    The lack of cut out in the case has me wondering
    Yup. The tools I linked above are good for the type of snap on case back that has no cut out, where no hand held knife blade could do the job. The tool's blade applies gradually greater and greater pressure to the join until the case back pops off. It works very well, but does take some practice.

Quote Originally Posted by abbs View Post
    I doubt Timpsons or the like will be of any use.
    Indeed. :-)

Craftsman
    Got a reply!!!

The case back is screwed, but should only be opened form a watchmaker.

It needs a special tool for opening case backs.

Best regards/mit freundlichen Grüssen/avec nos meilleures salutations

Monika Schneider (Sales)

Anyone know what sort of tool you need to open a screwcase back without any lugs?

FORTIS Uhren AG

Lindenstrasse 45

2540 Grenchen

SWITZERLAND

In the absence of a Horb, a large ball of blutak

D

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    In the absence of a Horb, a large ball of blutak

D
    Or one of these types of things?

sourcingmap® 54mm Dia Rubber Ball Shape Watch Case Remover Screw Sticky Opener Blue https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N40AG..._wbdsyb8P4YSVC