closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IWC: my SOTC

IWC: my SOTC

There has been much comment on the forum recently about the direction IWC is taking under the stewardship of Richemont: the ever larger sizes, the bling etc. They do make some great movements but like many I’m put off by the latest collections and have no interest in buying one.
    However, it wasn’t always like that. IWC were my first love in haute horology: I was attracted to the Germanic approach to form and function, the aesthetic appeal of the fliegers, the history of the company. So, I set about getting a collection (or accumulation) of IWCs. I have never posted a SOTC here, but a passing remark from a forum member I met recently has prompted me to show my collection of IWC’s past:

From left to right:

Mark 11 (mine is from 1951); Portuguese 5001 Laureus special edition; Portuguese Vintage Collection; Mark 12; Mark XV white dial edition (made for the USA in small numbers; not the Gadebusch version); W.W.W. made in 1945 for the Army; 3717 St. Exupery special edition; 3536 Aquatimer in titanium.

Mark 11: produced for the RAF 1948-52; highly accurate, calibre 89 hand wound movement

The Portuguese 5001 needs no introduction; I wanted this because of the great in-house automatic 8 day movement and the gorgeous blue dial. The only downside is that the case-back is solid so I can’t view the movement.

The Portuguese Vintage Collection was one of the six editions brought out for IWCs 140th anniversary in 2008. It harks back to the original Portuguese from the 1940s and has a hand wound movement based on the calibre 98.

The Mark 12 superseded the Mark 11 in the 1990s; mine has the JLC 889/2 calibre automatic movement; the “beads of rice” bracelet makes a change from the usual black strap.

The Mark XV normally has a black dial, of course, but I fancied a change so found this white dialled version produced for the USA market. It was not a limited edition but is estimated to have sold about 1000 pieces so it is reasonably unusual. It differs from the other white dial version made for Gadebusch in that is says “automatic” on the dial.

The W.W.W (watch, wristlet, waterproof) was produced in 1945 for the War Department, along with 11 other watches from other manufacturers, collectively called “the Dirty Dozen” by military collectors. I got this primarily as I also collect military watches (and have all 12 WWWs), but it is an example of a solid IWC from the past. It has a hand wound calibre 83. [Please note these are NOT called the Mark 10.]

The ref. 3717 St. Exupery special edition was produced in 2006 and IWC have continued to produce a St. Ex special edition of one of their watches ever since. It has a lovely tobacco brown dial that is quite hard to photograph properly. Antoine de St. Exupery was a French author and pilot who pioneered night flying and air mail services in south America and French north Africa. He was shot down when flying a P-47 Lightening in 1944; the plane was only found a few years ago, in the seas off the south coast of France.

The ref 3536 Aquatimer is perhaps IWCs best known and most sought-after diving watch. Mine is titanium, and yes, it has been diving!

If you’ve got this far, thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed seeing these.

Superb

IWC is a brand I've yet to try. If it wasn't for the size, I'd be after your mark XII or XV, but I think it would need to be the slightly larger XVI or XVII for me...

Great collection. I would love anyone of those. Andy

very very nice

thanks for sharing

I am so jealous - I have similar sentiments about IWC and hate the big-bling trend they are indulging in

I hope your willpower holds up - it would be shame to break up this family

E

Journeyman
    <drool>

I really wanted a Portugese but was just too big on my wrist, so plumped for a smaller Portofino...love your collection.

Master
    wow, a really lovely collection you have there. That WWW is beautifully simple!

Master
    Great collection of IWC's you have there, very impressive !

My only IWC is the UTC, it is my least worn of all my watches. Love the colouring of the dial in the daylight, I think it maybe the size and the narrow strap that limits its wear time :(
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1360072076.602626.jpg

Cool

Very faithful to a brand. Respect!

Master
    Some great pieces. Look much better than some of their new offerings.

Cool

Very faithful to a brand. Respect!

That Mk11 is fantastic, I keep trying to save for a more realistic Mk15, but the OH keeps finding things like kitchens, rewiring and other boring essentials to spend it on!

Beautiful collection Ross, I wasn't aware you had that many, there are 3 or 4 that I would love to add to the collection.

The Laureas has a wonderful dial and you already know I quite fancy the St Exupery!

Enjoy!

Cheers

Jacob

Great collection... have a small IWC collection myself, however I am trying to sell a few of them (the '93 Portugiesers) because I am done with IWC.

Banned
    thanks for posting this,you have some right crackers i would love to own.

Crikey - what an outstanding collection. The Mark XI and the WWW (and the Mark XII, but I have one of those) are fantastic, but I really like the 3717 too.

As an aside, I'm looking for a Mark XII bracelet, so if you know where I might pick one up...

Really great collection. The Vintage Collection wins it goes me.

Malc

Very nice 'accumulation' - you've nearly got the whole range covered

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Very interesting and wonderful collection. Thanks for posting.

Excellent collection. Aquatimer is lovely!

I do like a collection with focus and integrity, and this is certainly one. Fantastic.
    It is a shame the random direction they have taken recently. Not every decision is a nightmare, but they seem to have deliberately canned so many of their heritage design cues it makes your head spin.
    Dave

Great collection!!
    Love them all, Mk´s in particular.
    Thanks for posting them and enjoy that bunch of IWC´s =)

Craftsman
    Very nice indeed, the 3536 is the must have AT!

You have a lovely collection right there. I'd have though it might be difficult to stick to one manufacturer but each of yours seems different enough to keep things interesting.

Great collection

Quote Originally Posted by okzbow View Post
    Great collection... have a small IWC collection myself, however I am trying to sell a few of them (the '93 Portugiesers) because I am done with IWC.
    What put you off the brand?

-

Master
    Blog Entries
    That blue dialled Portugese is absolutely stunning.

Lovely mark 12's. and the rest ain't too shabby.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Journeyman
    Fantastic post

As Antoine de St. Exupery said in his novel Le petit ... 'Les yeux sont aveugles, il faut chercher avec la coeur'. I think this pretty much sums up watch collectors in many respects! Thanks for the photos.

Your collection really does highlight how the brand has lost it's way in recent years. A superb collection

Blog Entries
    Great thread and really nice to see such a fantastic collection.

PS very very jealous

Craftsman
    Fantastic Collection!!

The 8 day Portuguese with blue dial is BEAUTIFUL!!

Thanks for the comments. I never consciously set out to get a spread of IWCs like this, but I think they are different enough to maintain variety. Sadly the WWW is on it's way out as I'm changing direction in the miltary collection (and I got this one as part of the "Dirty Dozen" WWWs rather then specifically because it was IWC), but the others are firmly in the safe.
    They do all get worn, especially the Laureus as that is my daily work-wear watch, and the Aquatimer usually comes on holiday (2000m water resistance means I can safely swim with it! Actually it has been to 40m depth many times); the others get a look-in at weekends.

I do have other brands: Omaga Aqua Terra (Jacob/JC180 bought the 8500 last week and I have the modern classic silver dial/blue hands 2500), a Breitling, Blancpain FF, sold a Bremont recently, so I tend to bit eclectic really.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RABbit View Post
    I do have other brands: Omaga Aqua Terra (Jacob/JC180 bought the 8500 last week and I have the modern classic silver dial/blue hands 2500), a Breitling, Blancpain FF, sold a Bremont recently, so I tend to bit eclectic really.
    wow....

how many watches do you have in your collection!!!

Quote Originally Posted by oymd View Post
    wow....

how many watches do you have in your collection!!!
    More than I care to admit!

(Most) of my militaries:

^

OMG!

I love the IWC collection, but that sure is a hell of a lot of watches! :-P
    Your other half must be a VERY understanding person! LOL!

Gratz.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    What put you off the brand?

-
    I loved the clean and simply design of the vintage models, up to about 5 years ago. I dont like what IWC is doing atm, so I am selling most of my/their watches now.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    Your other half must be a VERY understanding person! LOL!

Gratz.
    We have an agreement: I get the watches, she gets the self-help books

Craftsman

Throwing the baby out with the bath water, eh?

I loved the clean and simply design of the vintage models, up to about 5 years ago. I dont like what IWC is doing atm, so I am selling most of my/their watches now.
    It's one thing to dislike the direction they're moving in (I'm a huge fan of the brand and even I'm puzzled by some of their new pieces), but another altogether to bin watches that you otherwise enjoy. I guess that's one way to make a statement, but ultimately the only person you're hurting is yourself. Like it or not, IWC is selling watches hand over fist these days, so obviously Kern is onto something, even if it leaves knowledgable collectors like ourselves scratching our heads. That said, the integrity of their previous pieces remains intact, no? I mean, just because I don't like the new Ingenieur Carbon Performance (a horrid, horrid watch), I'm not about to toss my 3227-01 into the ocean.

To the OP, just... wow. You have an amazingly curated collection there; thank you so much for sharing!

Regards,
    Adam

Master
    Excellent collection of some beautiful watches. I'm on the lookout for a Portuguese 3714 at the moment. Maybe it's an age thing, but my tastes seem to be rooted in the past.
    Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by craniotes View Post
    It's one thing to dislike the direction they're moving in (I'm a huge fan of the brand and even I'm puzzled by some of their new pieces), but another altogether to bin watches that you otherwise enjoy. I guess that's one way to make a statement, but ultimately the only person you're hurting is yourself. Like it or not, IWC is selling watches hand over fist these days, so obviously Kern is onto something, even if it leaves knowledgable collectors like ourselves scratching our heads. That said, the integrity of their previous pieces remains intact, no? I mean, just because I don't like the new Ingenieur Carbon Performance (a horrid, horrid watch), I'm not about to toss my 3227-01 into the ocean.

To the OP, just... wow. You have an amazingly curated collection there; thank you so much for sharing!

Regards,
    Adam
    You are absolutely right, lets call it change of taste then... I still like the vintage IWC's, but they just dont do it anymore for me.

Craftsman
    You are absolutely right, lets call it change of taste then... I still like the vintage IWC's, but they just dont do it anymore for me.
    At the end of the day, this is a very personal hobby, so frankly, it's none of my business why you're selling off your IWC's. Still, I'd hate to think that you were letting go of pieces that made you smile in a futile attempt to make IWC sit up and take notice (with Richemont demanding profits, the only thing they're noticing right now is the balance sheet, which thus far supports Kern) -- therefore, a change of taste it is!

Regards,
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by craniotes View Post
    At the end of the day, this is a very personal hobby, so frankly, it's none of my business why you're selling off your IWC's. Still, I'd hate to think that you were letting go of pieces that made you smile in a futile attempt to make IWC sit up and take notice (with Richemont demanding profits, the only thing they're noticing right now is the balance sheet, which thus far supports Kern) -- therefore, a change of taste it is!

Regards,
    Adam
    But I still think it has something to do with the way IWC is developing their model range... some new Portugiesers look almost exactly the same as the 5441 Jubilee, just slightly bigger. And I guess that is a turnoff for me, doesnt feel special anymore.

Master
    Super collection, am quite envious!

The 3536 is one such a cool watch, I just wish I could find a mint titanium one!

Quote Originally Posted by RABbit View Post

The Portuguese 5001 needs no introduction; I wanted this because of the great in-house automatic 8 day movement and the gorgeous blue dial. The only downside is that the case-back is solid so I can’t view the movement.

Oh yes!

Love the vintage Portuguese!

I have a black face Portuguese and an aquatimer.

Mark

Very nice collection of IWC's!

Which would be your pick of the newer models?

Lovely historic collection!

Wow! ... Very nice! It does put my small IWC collection to shame! :D

Mind you, I don't really mind their larger sizes as long as they keep the face "clean", but some of their newer (this year's Ing) models do look a bit on the cluttered side :(