closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The non-fake, "fake" Rolex Daytona

Master

The non-fake, "fake" Rolex Daytona

I thought this must have been posted here, but I couldn't see it. So just in case...

http://jalopnik.com/5980884/the-funn...tag=Daytona-24

Master
    And here's a real Daytona winner's Rolex:

Craftsman
    I can just imagine trying to deal with someone like that, they sound so obnoxious.

Master
    Wow, I didn't know the Le Mans winners got one of those. Very cool, totally unique for them.

Master
    Actually, thinking of the other sports Rolex sponsor, I wonder do they give anything like that at Wimbledon? That's the other big sponsorship I recall they do. Mind you, some other players have watch sponsorship already, so could be some clash there!

I once tried on the one Guy Smith was given for winning Le Mans in 2003. I think he was just as pleased about getting a free Rolex as he was winning the race.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    Actually, thinking of the other sports Rolex sponsor, I wonder do they give anything like that at Wimbledon? That's the other big sponsorship I recall they do. Mind you, some other players have watch sponsorship already, so could be some clash there!
    Ahem. Fastnet.

And yes, they give watches.

Good story, but I'm a bit dubious. Any other middle-aged men been challenged, in a jewellers, about the legitimacy of their watch?

Banned
    [QUOTE=Seabadger;

Good story, but I'm a bit dubious. Any other middle-aged men been challenged, in a jewellers, about the legitimacy of their watch?[/QUOTE]

There was this one who had a snide submariner but the details escape me...

Master

Re: The non-fake, "fake" Rolex Daytona

The 'daytona 24' case back is the single most faked caseback for the daytona. Of course 99% are fake and the original very rare. Whilst very rude I can see the guys position.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger View Post
    Ahem. Fastnet.

And yes, they give watches.

Good story, but I'm a bit dubious. Any other middle-aged men been challenged, in a jewellers, about the legitimacy of their watch?
    Also Sydney-Hobart but don't think they give watches although may do to the elite - my friend got a trophy but no watch.

Agree story sounds a little far-fetched & just wanted to show-off he had won a Daytona - if I had been given one by Rolex I wouldn't have expected to pay to have the bracelet re-sized either (and doesn't sound like my experience with ADs who have never charged to re-size even watches not bought from them) !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    if I had been given one by Rolex I wouldn't have expected to pay to have the bracelet re-sized either (and doesn't sound like my experience with ADs who have never charged to re-size even watches not bought from them) !
    The various Goldsmiths in Essex usually charge £20 for re-sizing bracelets. :s

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    The various Goldsmiths in Essex usually charge £20 for re-sizing bracelets. :s
    I would sooner give my watch to a Gibbon with a hammer than to Goldsmiths...

Journeyman
    If I'd know that was the deal, I would have given winning Le Mans a go!

Funny story, but agree either very unsavoury AD (rare IMHO), or slightly far-fetched...

The author of the story in the link doesn't state he went to a Rolex AD to have a link removed. He went to "the jeweler (sic) down the
    street". I'll bet that most "mom & pop jewelery stores" see more fake Rolex than real ones, hence the suspicion.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Also Sydney-Hobart but don't think they give watches although may do to the elite - my friend got a trophy but no watch.

Agree story sounds a little far-fetched & just wanted to show-off he had won a Daytona - if I had been given one by Rolex I wouldn't have expected to pay to have the bracelet re-sized either (and doesn't sound like my experience with ADs who have never charged to re-size even watches not bought from them) !
    They sponsor a few races, and as I think I've already said, they give watches, at least for the Fastnet - in fact, there's a table full of them at the presentation. I'd assume they'd do the same for the other races they sponsor. Quite possibly just skippers though - big difference between a trimaran with a tiny crew winning compared to a maxi with a couple of dozen -never been at that end of the race, so can't speak from experience.

Anyway, back to the veracity of the story - unless the bloke looks like a tramp (which from the link in the article, he doesn't) I still can't really believe it. From what I recall, the watches are also sized for people (if they request it) when they're presented so they can be worn there and then. It's not as though they fire them out of a splurge gun.

Blows the theory that Rolex AD's immediately seize all fakes that cross their path.

Digger

just noticed it only says jeweller

Master
    They have no legal right to seize your property fake or otherwise so I don't see why they would. It's not illegal to own a fake in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post
    They have no legal right to seize your property fake or otherwise so I don't see why they would. It's not illegal to own a fake in the UK.
    Apologies I shouldn't have reopened the debate.

Digger

The non-fake, "fake" Rolex Daytona

The only story in this tale is the one about some bloke wanting to make sure car nerds know he is a better driver than them and has a free Rolex to prove it.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Banned
    How sure are you on the law here?

Master
    Sure enough to type it out on here.

The story is in the US though, and I understand any fake Rolex is a trademark infringement and subject to seizure - whether it is enforced is another matter. It is also the case that you can only bring in one Rolex watch personally - Rolex owns the import rights to anything Rolex, so anything more than one watch (being worn or physically carried into the country) is seen as an infringement.

I don't know the stance in the UK and have not looked into it as it doesn't affect me.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    To be fair most watches with the 24 Heures nonsense on the back are indeed not genuine Rolexes. Had one myself. The caseback actually looked a bit neater than the real one in the pics.

Banned
    Thats me persuaded by your incisive analysis. Thanks.

Master

Re: The non-fake, "fake" Rolex Daytona

You never asked me for more justification, just if I was sure. I am.

^_^

Banned
    Yes, you are correct. My bad.

Please explain your justification for the proposition that an IP rights holder cannot retain an illegal item voluntarily surrendered to it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    I would sooner give my watch to a Gibbon with a hammer than to Goldsmiths...
    Agreed,

I've seen one of my friends butchered by them up my way.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I thought this might fit best here.

Just posted today fake and real Daytona comparison.
    I found his words and observations very true.
    I’ve never seen a Daytona,I would be fooled very easily.

I can’t work out how to share it other than like this.

He bought a Seiko in the end.

https://youtu.be/upAJE_XhT2Y

Grand Master
    What more is involved taking a link out of a fake or lower valued watch over a genuine Rolex watch for a higher price charged!?....

Perhaps your paying for a much better screwdriver,white silk gloves,high end spectacles and anything else he feels will dupe you into been ripped off.

Do it yourself ffs it ain't rocket science,if a guy your prepared to pay £s to do it can do it then anyone can!.
    Its a small screw requiring a small screwdriver........simple,isn't it.

Master
    Will he get the warranty card at next years race?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I size my own, doesn’t take long

Bit of steam off the kettle
    dab of acetone
    remove the screw ( with decent screwdriver)

Clean threads with acetone

Refit with the tiniest drop of threadlock.

Yes, but have you ever spent 20 minutes fiddling with a screw-driver trying to get it into the slot and turn it before realising it's not a screw head but the end of a split pin and needs to be drifted out from the other end?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was shown a fake Paul Newman Daytona while I was looking at a real Explorer 2 today.

Even I could see it was a fake, it was way to thick,the dial looked OK but was like new as was the case, it all looked to good to be true to be an old watch.

The owner of the shop had been offered it by someone coming into his shop,he had taken it off him and said he would call the police if he would rather.

Not much of a threat in England as they just wouldnt do anything.

He told me he's had quite a few convincing looking fakes offered to him and he nearly got fooled by one.

As for the Explorer 2,I must be missing something, like Jazz it just didnt appeal to me.