closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Selling gold

Selling gold

I know there have been several threads asking about best place to sell gold.

We've got several foreign items and I wondered if these will these be accepted - do they have to have a British hallmark or will they be tested by the buyer anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I know there have been several threads asking about best place to sell gold.

We've got several foreign items and I wondered if these will these be accepted - do they have to have a British hallmark or will they be tested by the buyer anyway?
    They'll be tested. I sold some scrap bits and pieces that I'd had in the drawer for years, literally an hour ago, and where in doubt the guy tested there and then. Very quick and easy.

Cheers

Foggy

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Who did you use Ian?

I have some gold and silver fob chains and silver pocket watches that I would like to price up

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Who did you use Ian?

I have some gold and silver fob chains and silver pocket watches that I would like to price up

Mike
    Mike - for you in Brighton, I would go to Bloomsteins. I sold them some gold a number of years back and they were very fair.

Cheers

Foggy

Journeyman

Small jewllers are usually the best

Hi,

I sold a 9ct ladies Omega watch about 2 months ago in leeds, I trawled the streets to find the best price and from experience the large chains and cash for gold shops are an absolute insult. I took the watch to a Herbert Brown pawn brokers, the young lad who served me told me that they dont buy watches for scrap but would buy it in for stock if they liked it, he then weighed it and offered me £180.00 pounds I told him he must be joking as the scrap value alone was £350.00 approx( IT would have probably gone straight in the window at £600.00).I tried Ramsdens, Cash Generators, Cash Convertors all an absolute insult.
    The best prices I got where from the smaller jewellers, one by the market offered me £315.00 but the one I sold to gave me £320.00 I dont know the name of the place but its a small shop on the headrow in leeds the guy in the shop was very fair and paid out in cash he would have made around £30.00 pounds on his out lay so I was very happy with what I got.
    Try the small independant jewllers would be my advice.

Wayne

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    Mike - for you in Brighton, I would go to Bloomsteins. I sold them some gold a number of years back and they were very fair.

Cheers

Foggy
    Thanks Ian, back home in a week hopefully so will get digging in the magic cupboard!!

Mike

Master

Selling gold

Hatton Garden Metals are THE best both in terms of price & service IMHO and are the only company I would be selling to if I were in your position.

Banned
    I know a few jewellers and they all use Elm

http://www.elminvestments.co.uk/

Mart

Quote Originally Posted by taffytoon View Post
    I know a few jewellers and they all use Elm

http://www.elminvestments.co.uk/

Mart
    I think they are trade-only.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I think they are trade-only.
    You will be fine

Quote Originally Posted by taffytoon View Post
    You will be fine
    Ok, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wls1971 View Post
    Hi,

I sold a 9ct ladies Omega watch about 2 months ago in leeds, I trawled the streets to find the best price and from experience the large chains and cash for gold shops are an absolute insult. I took the watch to a Herbert Brown pawn brokers, the young lad who served me told me that they dont buy watches for scrap but would buy it in for stock if they liked it, he then weighed it and offered me £180.00 pounds I told him he must be joking as the scrap value alone was £350.00 approx( IT would have probably gone straight in the window at £600.00).I tried Ramsdens, Cash Generators, Cash Convertors all an absolute insult.
    The best prices I got where from the smaller jewellers, one by the market offered me £315.00 but the one I sold to gave me £320.00 I dont know the name of the place but its a small shop on the headrow in leeds the guy in the shop was very fair and paid out in cash he would have made around £30.00 pounds on his out lay so I was very happy with what I got.
    Try the small independant jewllers would be my advice.

Wayne
    Not trying to pick an argument, but the other shops are only trying to make money out of the deal, that's what they do, make money, the guy you sold to was prepared to make less than the others that's all, you did the right thing and shopped around, some people don't, doesn't make the offers an insult, it's just business...
    Cheers..
    Jase

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Not trying to pick an argument, but the other shops are only trying to make money out of the deal, that's what they do, make money, the guy you sold to was prepared to make less than the others that's all, you did the right thing and shopped around, some people don't, doesn't make the offers an insult, it's just business...
    Yeah its buisness that boarders on sharp practice It goes straight in the melting pot its not as if they have to do a lot for the money, just hand it over to the refiners. It pays to shop around and check prices on the internet but I can see a lot of old people taking there gold in and basically getting ripped off by these places